Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By chuzz
  • 3 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By dougs
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2017, 01:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Will 1st Gen Tail Lights Fit 2nd Gen?

My passenger tail light is currently held in by silicon. My driver is pushed out a bit from I assume a previous accident that was never repaired?

Getting a different style aftermarket set (that I think looks pretty cool) isn't too expensive, only a few more bucks than used from a junkyard. I really like this set
Chrysler PT Cruiser 01-05 Rear Smoke Altezza Tail lights Pair RH LH | eBay

Lists it for 2001-2005 and not 2006-2010

My understanding was the color of the OEM ones are different for first and second gen, but are physically the same shape

So will these fit?
Old 22 Dec 2017, 01:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Will 1st Gen Tail Lights Fit 2nd Gen?

The plugs are a little different..the 1st Gen has to be modified a little to fit the 2nd...so I assume there would be no problems going backward.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Dec 2017, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 1st Gen (2001-2005) tail lights with orange turn signal lenses and the 2nd Gen (2006 - 2010) tail lights with clear turn signal lenses and orange bulbs are interchangeable if you take a Dremel tool and remove the tabs in the bulb sockets. Here's the tabs in RED that must be removed:

Old 22 Dec 2017, 04:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As long as you take the wiring sockets along with the tail lights, they're plug and play. I did this on my 03 GT. I put in tail lights from an 06 PT. What I mean by the wiring sockets, is the piece between the body harness and the tail light. They're different where the bulbs plug in, but as long as you take that piece, you can plug it right into the body harness. I don't have pics, so hope you get what I'm saying. Sounds like your current lights are missing a lock tab at the top or some spring clips that hold them in. They get brittle and break off pretty easily.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Dec 2017, 07:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
My passenger tail light is currently held in by silicon. My driver is pushed out a bit from I assume a previous accident that was never repaired?

Getting a different style aftermarket set (that I think looks pretty cool) isn't too expensive, only a few more bucks than used from a junkyard. I really like this set
Chrysler PT Cruiser 01-05 Rear Smoke Altezza Tail lights Pair RH LH | eBay

Lists it for 2001-2005 and not 2006-2010

My understanding was the color of the OEM ones are different for first and second gen, but are physically the same shape

So will these fit?
I can't find much on specs on these, but some sources say they don't include any bulbs. Don't use an LED bulb as with the CANbus electrical system in the Gen2, could result in hyper-flashing, of which you will have to install a resistor in the circuit to cure. Just use a standard incandescent bulb, not the Sylvania Long Life which burns hotter than a plain, old standard incandescent bulb. Another member had these lenses and some bulbs burn hotter than others, and they melted the lenses.
Old 25 Dec 2017, 06:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

They will fit, but Chrysler in its wisdom modified the flange alignment slightly.... but as noted on another reply, you can make them work with a little cutting of the plastic.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 26 Dec 2017, 08:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

I didn't have to cut anything. Mine fit just fine.
dougs likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.