Advertisements
'06 Hatch Liner Removal

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpaceMouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2017, 03:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default '06 Hatch Liner Removal

So I've got the dreaded intermittent touch pad failure, and no option of using a key to open the rear hatch. I can easily install a momentary contact switch in place of the touch pad, but after reading several threads on the subject I have yet to find any description as to how to remove the plastic panel on the interior side of the hatch, so I can get to the mechanism itself.

A cursory inspection reveals no screws that hold the panel in place. Does it simply snap into place, and is removal just a matter of grabbing it by the edges and pulling it off?
Old 26 Dec 2017, 04:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: '06 Hatch Liner Removal

Its all metal clips on the inside. If you can't get the trunk to open I read somewhere your probably going to have to brake the plastic to replace the switch if you can't get it to open
Old 26 Dec 2017, 04:54 pm
Banned

Are you able to get the rear hatch open?

If not, there is another thread where it details removing the D pillar trim panel, from the inside, and shorting out the wires going to the rear hatch latch mechanism, this will then allow you to open the hatch, remove the inner panel, and install a separate switch, that takes the place of the touchpad.

If you can open the hatch, there is a pin at the bottom of the inner panel that you must first remove the inner pin, then another plastic pin. Then the rear panel can be removed by pulling on it to disengage the plastic pins holding it to the door shell.

I'm not at home right now, so can't search for the other thread, but will do so when I can.

It's easy to install a separate switch, numerous people have done it successfully. It's how Chrysler should have done it, instead of using the touchpad switch, which will eventually fail. And then on top of that, removing the hatch lock cylinder, so you have no way of opening the hatch when the switch fails.
Old 26 Dec 2017, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

In this thread, I documented removal of the hatch cover in my '01 Cruiser.

Rear Wiper Grommet?
Old 26 Dec 2017, 07:18 pm
Banned

If you can get the hatch open, this is the pins that you must first remove to remove the interior panel to gain access to the latch mechanism and to install an alternate switch:

You remove the inner pin first, then the outer:

Then if you slightly pull back the panel, you will see a series of clips holding the panel into place:

You might want to use a long screwdriver or similar to give you some leverage to pop the clips loose. But first you will need to remove the CHMSL cover panel and side trim panels as the side panels sit on top of the lower panel.

This is the switch that I installed on my PT:

It's a water-proof momentary contact switch that I bought at either AutoZone or O'Reilly's.

You can read about the install in this thread. Post #10 in this thread is from another member that had to remove the D pillar trim and locate the wires going to the rear hatch latch mechanism to short the wires together to allow the hatch to open:

2010 Rear Hatch Release Button Problems

Here's another thread on the topic:

Liftgate touchpad replacement

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Dec 2017 at 07:21 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 12:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Coolness! Thank you, everyone, for your helpful and nicely documented posts. I popped the panel off, installed a 1/4" diameter momentary contact switch, and had everything back together in record time. I'm used to working on 60s vintage Mustangs, and was expecting to have to remove about three dozen fasteners just to get things exposed. It's nice to work on a vehicle that was obviously designed to be quickly and easily built.
rckstein likes this.