PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Cruiser GT with hot parts, has some issues.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2017, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2005 PT Cruiser GT with hot parts, has some issues.

Hey! PT build is going well. The tune is a little wonky or maybe I have issues somewhere. Anyway, IDK if you guys can hear it, but the car is vibrating a lot under light load and a loud exhaust noise is coming from the engine bay on the right side.

Now, it did all this before I upgraded the whole turbo system and mounts. The car vibrated and had an exhaust leak like sound before. But I've replaced the exhaust manifold, turbo, gaskets, downpipe, and O2 housing since then. As well as all the motor mounts and did an engine alignment. But it still vibrates like crazy in gear and has that loud noise coming from the engine bay.

Also, where do you guys hook up your boost gauges too? I was an idiot and hooked it up pre-throttle body. Lol. Is there a spot that I can easily get to for boost reference.

Anyway, thanks!

Mods:
2.7 V6 Magnum Roller Rockers
DCR Top End Oil Modifier
FEL-PRO Headgasket
Big Neck Turbofold
Mole 16g BWS Turbo
3" Maxxfab O2 Housing
3" Downpipe
Gates Racing Timing Belt
1025cc Injectors
Ford GT 255lph fuel pump
2003 Fuel Rail
Mopar Stage 2 Wastegate
NGK4306 Spark plugs at .035"
Stock coil and wires

Here's a video of the noises and such. It's kind of hard to hear:

I'll get a better video of it tonight with my good camera. It's easier to pick up sounds and vibrations on the nice camera.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser GT with hot parts, has some issues.

I am suggesting you might have two issues.

I would suggest checking to see if the alternator bearing is making noise. Sometimes the alternator belt is over tighten putting too much pressure on the alternator belt. This is why I left the alternator a little on the loose side to make sure it not putting pressure on the bearing.

If alternator bearing is good check to see if the belt tensioner is noisy.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Dec 2017 at 06:18 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The best tool to help diagnose this may be a Mechanics Engine Diagnostic Stethoscope.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Dec 2017 at 11:29 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Truthfully, it will be very hard for us to help diagnose this without laying hands on the car in person. If the vibration was there before the upgrades, it could be something as simple as a bad inner CV joint or bent harmonic balancer.

The exhaust noise is going to be troubling. As Nitro suggested, a stethoscope may prove very handy at locating the noises. If you don't have one, you can often use a piece of heater hose to get a similar effect. Just hold it to your ear and move the other end around the engine. The most likely cause is a going to be an exhaust component that didn't get sealed good during installation.

I've never read where anyone used the 2.7 V6 rockers in a 2.4L engine. Did this increase your lifter (slack adjuster) pre-load with the stock camshafts? If so and if just a little too much, it's possible you could end up with valves opening too soon or closing too late under certain conditions. This might explain the knocking and exhaust noise. Admittedly, this is a wild guess without knowing more about this mod and how it changes valvetrain geometry. But if I couldn't find the problem, I might consider going back to the stock rockers to see if that remedies the issue. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Dec 2017 at 11:20 am.