Advertisements
Trouble filling gas tank

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2017, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trouble filling gas tank

wife has a 2006 turbo convertible that we have owned since new. The last 2 times we have tried to fill it up with gas it acts as though it is already full. Gas overfills and spills out the overflow. Something seems to be stopping up the pipe leading to the tank. Any suggestions?
Old 27 Dec 2017, 09:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble filling gas tank

i recommend living with it. mine did that and then one day it went back to normal. i've read it a lot on here and it always seems to happen as the temp drops outside. i think it is a plugged vent line. the actual fill tube is the size of a garden hose so without the vent it does what you describe. i remember mine doing it. i remember i could hear the gas backing up in the tube before the overflow would occur. it's a weird problem, likely caused by a spider snuggling into the vent line.

it's not just a PT thing. https://www.google.com/search?q=spider+car+recall

it's not just you, i've been there. many others have as well. you might get replies to try a different pump. it won't help. they don't get it.
Capture.jpg

mine seemed to fill a little faster when i left it running. i overfilled it a few times trying to get gas to clean out the clogged line. its not recommended, but i did it.

there's so much stuff on top of the tank that it's better just to let it cure itself.

it pissed me off so much i actually punched the damn car.

Capture2.JPG

and i'm not an angry person.

i hope yours clears itself soon. mine took about a month to go back to normal, and i hated the car the whole time
Big Jon and ptprice like this.

Last edited by rob302; 27 Dec 2017 at 09:45 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 09:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you're lucky, it could be ice in the vent tube

If you're somewhere cold, can you thaw it?

If you aren't somewhere super cold, I'd guess spider or spider eggs. Mine likely cleared when they hatched
Old 27 Dec 2017, 09:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5341 View Post
wife has a 2006 turbo convertible that we have owned since new. The last 2 times we have tried to fill it up with gas it acts as though it is already full. Gas overfills and spills out the overflow. Something seems to be stopping up the pipe leading to the tank. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum

There is actually a TSB on that issue:

You can get a copy of the TSB at my DropBox link:

SUBJECT:

HARD TO FILL WITH FUEL OR FUEL NOZZLE SHUTS OFF REPEATEDLY

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0z8g8qe2b...01-09.pdf?dl=0

Here's what's in the Service Manual:

When you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Dec 2017 at 10:12 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 11:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It might not even be your tank. I've run into the same problem a few times when the pump nozzle cut off isn't properly functioning. They're supposed to sense back flow from the tank and shut off. I've found sometime they're adjusted too sensitively and stop the fuel flow prematurely. I hope that's all it is.

Happy PTin ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.