PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fading Glory

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2017, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Fading Glory

I've spent a lot of time taking care of my PT (2002 Limited Edition). A decent amount of mechanical things like new rear shocks, radiator and hoses, control arms, front wheel bearings, lower torque strut, rear hatch struts, oil changes and soon, new plugs and air filter.
All that stuff, thankfully, is still good and doing what it needs to be doing.

Seems, though, that almost all of the cosmetic things I've done are all going to shit.

The "chrome" belt line is peeling (It has a 5 yr. warranty. Only been on for 1 yr. I've contacted the ebay seller but am only hearing crickets. If I don't hear back from them next week I'll contact ebay).

Installed new, black headlights a little over a year ago. Before installing them, I sanded and then sprayed UV protective clear coat made for plastics over them. The driver's side one is peeling.

The aftermarket tail light lenses I installed immediately melted from the stock light bulbs.

Chrome exhaust deflector rusted in 5 months. Wrote to the ebay seller. Never heard back from him.

Chrome curb feelers rusted in 5 months. Also never heard back about these. Same seller.

Chrome door handle cups pitted after only one winter season.

It's pretty frustrating to spend the money and time, just to have stuff go to shit so quickly.

Anyway, wanted to share. Otherwise, still love my PT! My heated seats are coming in especially handy with the cold we've got the past week and that we'll be having the rest of the winter.

Hopefully, I'll be in NM by April or May. No more harsh winter to deal with.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Fading Glory

Gkon, I didn't add all those bells and whistles you mentioned to SOOO BIG but I did dress him up with a chrome belt line about a year ago. I notice it's beginning to loose its shiny luster. For what I paid for it on line I might just replace it next summer.

Maybe another PTer can advise a better, longer lasting product. I mentioned it to my local trim supplier and she said next time go 3M instead of Chinese! It's just a pain getting it on perfectly straight. I might just decide I'm satisfied with the more subdue tone of the deteriorated chrome belt line. It still does what I intended it to do and that's to define the neat PT belt line. The chrome trim Chrysler forgot.

On a side note, the chrome side door spears on SOOO BIG are original as is the chrome fuel door and door handles. We just carefully removed them and replaced them after his reincarnation. They're as shiny as the day he came off the assembly line. His replacement chrome grills are an heirloom from my son's 2001 PT. Now nearly 17 years old and still looking good. SOOO BIG's always parked outside too. But he's always been a Florida car.

On my old iron of yesteryear, when I could find it, I use to use a lot of non rusting, non tarnishing stainless steel when I was gilding the Lilly.

Happy PTin', ptprice
CRUZ and Gkon like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 29 Dec 2017 at 09:02 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:46 pm
Banned

It could be pretty pricey, but in the '04 Parts Catalog, it has listed a complete set of belt line trim for the PT and from the diagrams, it appears to be actually molded to fit the PT body contours:

Searching Ebay, there are some sellers that appear to have all the pieces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-OE...tZ4nU6&vxp=mtr

It would be kind of cool to see what this original, factory trim, looked like on the PT.
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 29 Dec 2017 at 09:53 pm.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

seems like a pattern with ebay stuff, eh? i'm very critical of what i buy there now. i let my guard down for the back glass on my phone and it cracked the day i got it.

i would contact all the people you hear crickets from after the holidays and see if you have better luck.

chrome is no bueno for exhaust. period. there are brand new trucks rolling off the assembly line and the chrome rusts in under a year where the exhaust comes out due to EPA restrictions regarding how they are chromed. exhaust converts the water to sulpher dioxide and it condensates on the chrome like super potent acid rain. you need stainless steel for exhaust
MJKnight, Gkon and Carnut like this.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 11:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Which tail lights did you buy that melted? Need to order some myself and don't want to order the same ones you did!
Gkon likes this.
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Gkon, I didn't add all those bells and whistles you mentioned to SOOO BIG but I did dress him up with a chrome belt line about a year ago. I notice it's beginning to loose its shiny luster. For what I paid for it on line I might just replace it next summer.

Maybe another PTer can advise a better, longer lasting product. I mentioned it to my local trim supplier and she said next time go 3M instead of Chinese! It's just a pain getting it on perfectly straight. I might just decide I'm satisfied with the more subdue tone of the deteriorated chrome belt line. It still does what I intended it to do and that's to define the neat PT belt line. The chrome trim Chrysler forgot.

On a side note, the chrome side door spears on SOOO BIG are original as is the chrome fuel door and door handles. We just carefully removed them and replaced them after his reincarnation. They're as shiny as the day he came off the assembly line. His replacement chrome grills are an heirloom from my son's 2001 PT. Now nearly 17 years old and still looking good. SOOO BIG's always parked outside too. But he's always been a Florida car.

On my old iron of yesteryear, when I could find it, I use to use a lot of non rusting, non tarnishing stainless steel when I was gilding the Lilly.

Happy PTin', ptprice
The belt line is 3M. It's not dull, but it is peeling. I'm a bit surprised, actually.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It could be pretty pricey, but in the '04 Parts Catalog, it has listed a complete set of belt line trim for the PT and from the diagrams, it appears to be actually molded to fit the PT body contours:

Searching Ebay, there are some sellers that appear to have all the pieces.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-OE...tZ4nU6&vxp=mtr

It would be kind of cool to see what this original, factory trim, looked like on the PT.
Well how about that! I had no idea. Let me look into it.
Thanks!
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
seems like a pattern with ebay stuff, eh? i'm very critical of what i buy there now. i let my guard down for the back glass on my phone and it cracked the day i got it.

i would contact all the people you hear crickets from after the holidays and see if you have better luck.

chrome is no bueno for exhaust. period. there are brand new trucks rolling off the assembly line and the chrome rusts in under a year where the exhaust comes out due to EPA restrictions regarding how they are chromed. exhaust converts the water to sulpher dioxide and it condensates on the chrome like super potent acid rain. you need stainless steel for exhaust
Thanks for the heads up.
dougs likes this.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 09:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
The belt line is 3M. It's not dull, but it is peeling. I'm a bit surprised, actually.
I do not believe 3M makes chrome trim. I can't find it on the 3M site. Can you?

After looking on eBay, I believe you purchased something like "DURABLE 3M CHROME TRIM" and the 3m was specifying a length of three meters. Very sneaky. Not very 3M

You can call and ask. I can't find it on their site. Or they might have several grades like most of their products
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/help-center/
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 30 Dec 2017 at 09:55 am.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I do not believe 3M makes chrome trim. I can't find it on the 3M site. Can you?

After looking on eBay, I believe you purchased something like "DURABLE 3M CHROME TRIM" and the 3m was specifying a length of three meters. Very sneaky. Not very 3M

You can call and ask. I can't find it on their site. Or they might have several grades like most of their products
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/help-center/
This was the description for the item I bought:

• These are flexible ABS-plastic trim pieces that are placed on each body panel on your PT Cruiser (10 pieces total). Please specify with your payment whether your PT is a sedan or convertible.
  • Trim pieces have a 3M-adhesive on the back (and a clear protective film on the front to maintain finish/appearance).
  • 5-YEAR WARRANTY (if you have any problems with the trim in the next 5 years, we replace it FREE).
  • Installs in 10 minutes, just peel and stick! These can be removed at any time.
  • Installation instructions included.

I guess "3M-adhesive on the back" made me think that it was 3M brand .

The sellers name is "Midwestmotoring" on ebay, in case anyone else is considering buying from them.
rob302 likes this.

Last edited by Gkon; 30 Dec 2017 at 12:12 pm.