PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vibration at idle and whiring squeal. SOOO BIG

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2017, 06:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Vibration at idle and whiring squeal. SOOO BIG

The two things may be unrelated. I've been noticing and ignoring a slight engine vibration at idle but just lately a rotating,whiring, squealing sound has popped up too.

SOOO BIG is a 2005 PT With the 2.4 DOHC engine. 89000 gentle miles.

This summer I only noticed the idling vibration with the A/C on. In the past few weeks, the vibration's been constant at idle. With A/C on or not.

The dog bone engine mounts have been replace about two years age. I was told the others looked good then.

The whirring noise may have been there for a while. I'm as deaf as a post but I'm now hearing a rotating, whirring, squeal from under the hood. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the engine between the front end of the engine under the upper belt cover and the right fender. It's not coming from the valve cover. Just normal rotation and valve train noise there. Up front behind the radiator on the passenger side corner of engine. I hear a normal rotating. I don't hear any sound from the exhaust manifold flange to the exhaust pipe.

As far as the idle vibration, it seems to go away when driving or at a higher idle rev. Or at least it's not noticeable. That vibration is there at times past idle when I back up into a parking space.

SOOO BIG's got a complete new timing belt kit installed less than 7000 mile ago. A new A/C compressor was installed in 2017. I don't remember ever replacing the serpentine or alternator belt..

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice[/COLOR]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSPX0059 (640x480).jpg (29.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0060 (640x480).jpg (31.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0061 (640x480).jpg (31.0 KB, 61 views)
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 05 Jan 2018 at 02:56 pm. Reason: Brevity So I can copy it and present the problem to Tom the mechanic.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration at idle and whiring squeal. SOOO BIG

If your vibration and squealing started at the same time I would be checking out everything that is driven by the serpentine belt. Best thing to do is remove the belt and see if the vibration goes away. You might have a component bearing going bad causing the belt to squeal but the first thing to do is eliminate one component at a time if possible.
Some members have had the generator bearing start going bad making noise and vibrating.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Dec 2017 at 09:36 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 08:42 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If your vibration and squealing started at the same time I would be checking out everything that is driven by the serpentine belt. Best thing to do is remove the belt and see if the vibration goes away. You might have a component bearing going bad causing the belt to squeal but the first thing to do is eliminate one component at a time if possible.
Some members have had the generator bearing start going bad making noise and vibrating.
Great advise Steve. Your answer gave me an insight into what's hidden underneath the nether regions of the cover. I may have good front end view illustration of SOOO BIG's engine.

In your reflection I can only hope it isn't something in the externals of the engine that can be repaired or replaced with out major surgery. That area between the front end of the engine and the inside right fender looks might tight. How hard is it to get in there?

I don't have a recollection of the noise beginning with the vibration as the noise isn't prevalent inside SOOO BIG. I've only tested the noise at idle. I do know the vibration seems to dissipate with and increase in RPMs at idle of while driving. Is this a clue? Does this eliminate the possibility of bad engine mounts?

I have a friend, an excellent mechanic, who services SOOO BIG's A/C needs. He's willing to expand his work to other things under the hood in the winter when his A/C work has declined. If I can offer him what might be indicated as the problem he can go right to it for the fix. Saving him time and me money.

SOOO BIG is too fine a ride for putzing and I can't afford it. Is the illustration below correct for external belt configuration? I can get a better understanding without hands on, if you give me a heads up insight as to the identity and location of all the belt drive accessories?

neon_srt4acbeltrouting.JPG

Thanks for your insights. Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Dec 2017 at 11:53 am.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 09:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Down n where you can't reach and behind a cover that makes it so you can't see..

Id hold off. Maybe the noise only happens when it's "cold" out. Tensioners tend to squeak here in Fall.
ptprice and wingman55 like this.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 09:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Down n where you can't reach and behind a cover that makes it so you can't see..

Id hold off. Maybe the noise only happens when it's "cold" out. Tensioners tend to squeak here in Fall.
That's a promising consideration. But here in Florida, our coldest day so far has been 46 degrees. No great cold snap.

This might be another clue. I just ran up to Publix for some shrimp for a pasta dish I'm cooking up tomorrow. Backing into my parking slot when I returned SOOO BIG experienced a low level resonating vibration that I don't remember feeling and hearing before. It wasn't there if I pulled forward. I think this is new. This looks like a job for inspector Clouseaue.

Fortunately the grill on the vanity cover still works for grilling cheese sandwiches.

Happy PTin', ptprice
rob302 likes this.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Dec 2017 at 11:34 am.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 10:23 am
Senior Cruiser

COULD BE:
serpentine belt idler it always turns
Some one may have used trans fluid in the power steering

2 cents
ptprice likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 30 Dec 2017, 10:45 am
Cool Cruiser

I had the tensioner pulley on my serpentine belt go at ~110k miles. That's the little round pulley in the center of the three larger pulleys that form a triangle in the illustration above. The tensioner is mounted on the bracket the screwdriver is touching in (1) rotating squeal picture.

Access to the tensioner is from underneath by removing the passenger side splash guard in the wheel well. Which is what I had done to troubleshoot mine. It was making a "bad bearing" noise and it would squeal on start-up in the cold. I had enough confidence the tensioner pulley was bad that I bought a replacement, it was in the backseat.

In the dark of a winter morning, I had to take my son to his job. Backing the car out, it started to squeal, then the squeal stopped, aaaaand no power steering assist... A quick check revealed the tensioner pulley had shattered apart. I took my son to work with my wife's car.

Since I had the new pulley, I installed it that morning, got cleaned up and got the dog to his 9:00 AM vet appointment. It was an interesting morning.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
I had the tensioner pulley on my serpentine belt go at ~110k miles. That's the little round pulley in the center of the three larger pulleys that form a triangle in the illustration above. The tensioner is mounted on the bracket the screwdriver is touching in (1) rotating squeal picture.

Access to the tensioner is from underneath by removing the passenger side splash guard in the wheel well. Which is what I had done to troubleshoot mine. It was making a "bad bearing" noise and it would squeal on start-up in the cold. I had enough confidence the tensioner pulley was bad that I bought a replacement, it was in the backseat.

In the dark of a winter morning, I had to take my son to his job. Backing the car out, it started to squeal, then the squeal stopped, and no power steering assist... A quick check revealed the tensioner pulley had shattered apart. I took my son to work with my wife's car.

Since I had the new pulley, I installed it that morning, got cleaned up and got the dog to his 9:00 AM vet appointment. It was an interesting morning.
Is the belt idler pulley and adjuster #1 in this attached illustration? Is it hard to install? It seems like it's in SOOO BIG's nether regions.

So far this morning I've learned a lot of what's hidden down there. Almost like a date in high school and the first time getting to third base. Doya remember those days? Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

2010-11-26_052224_pt_belt.jpg

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Dec 2017 at 12:56 pm.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before buying any parts I would suggest you take the passenger tire off, take the cover panel off, and see if you can find the component that is causing the squealing and vibration. I don't want you to start guessing at what the problem might be.
CRUZ likes this.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 01:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'd certainly agree with ptcruisersteve to diagnose first. If it does turn out to be the tensioner pulley (yes, the tensioner is item 1), here's something I found out removing the tensioner. This is on my 2001 PT.

There's a bolt that is very close to the frame. I had to use a short 15mm socket on a ratchet to crack it free. Then remove the socket from the ratchet and put the socket back on the bolt to finger loosen it. If I backed the bolt all the way out with the ratchet attached, it gets jammed against the frame and you can't remove it. Assembly is, obviously, the reverse.