PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Yet another battery question! (air filter too)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2018, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Yet another battery question! (air filter too)

Hello all. Been a long time. My ol' PT is still running! (2007, non-turbo, i dunno!)

Well, with all the -20 weather, I think I need a new battery. I have been looking a little bit, and the only standard ones the locla places carry are the standard 26r ones, with a measly 550 CCA.

I have seen some people here use other batteries though. But everything is a pretty tight fit, so I am wondering how to tell if the thing will even fit in there.

Someone mentioned an optima 34r Red top (https://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batter.../dp/B000MS830E this one?) But it seems too big. Also a bit more than I want to pay.

Been thinking of getting a new air filter. Are there better after market ones that dont clamp to the battery top?
Old 01 Jan 2018, 04:40 pm
Banned

Default Re: Yet another battery question! (air filter too)

The Optima 34R will fit the standard battery tray, I tried it in a store and also several members have it in their PT:

And the stock battery hold down clamp still works:

The present battery in my PT is this one from Advance Auto:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000%7CL3*15597

It's rated for 575CCA, but I've had it tested a couple of times, and it's actually putting out more like 625CCA.

Batteries are like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you go with a cheap $50 battery, you'll probably end up replacing it more often. I live in Texas and batteries get rough treatment with the long hot summers, maybe a couple of years. When my present battery goes, I'll be in the market for the Optima. Shop around for the best price and some of your local stores may match an online price. But I would rather spend a little more now for something that may last longer, than go cheap now and have to replace it more often.

You have a Gen2 PT, the air filter doesn't actually clamp to the battery, but the airbox cover does have a portion of it that extends over the battery:

(not my PT)

Last edited by rckstein; 01 Jan 2018 at 04:44 pm.