PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door Won't Close Flush

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Door Won't Close Flush

Door used to close fine, Now it won't close flush, Its just slightly off, Enough to let wind and stuff in. I WD-40'ed the mechanism didn't seem to do much. Any suggestions?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door Won't Close Flush

maybe use Duck Tape instead of WD-40 it is a better sealer..
ptprice, rob302 and ajhockey3 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doors on PT Cruiser just don't suddenly become out of alignment. Something happened to cause this. If the hinges and latches are not badle worn or damaged then you are going to need to re-align the door. If you are asking this I would really........consider having a body shop look at it and perhaps do the work. You can make a DIY door alignment a nightmare real fast.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2018, 02:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

post a pic.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 03:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
post a pic.
Kind of hard to show

the following pictures are from this area of the car

This is me putting a razer blade against the two black part of the doors on the passanger side:

Notice there is NO gap

On the driver side there is a slight gap because the driver door is out a bit more, very small but I can hear air and the outside of the car because of it.

Old 10 Jan 2018, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Doors on PT Cruiser just don't suddenly become out of alignment. Something happened to cause this. If the hinges and latches are not badle worn or damaged then you are going to need to re-align the door. If you are asking this I would really........consider having a body shop look at it and perhaps do the work. You can make a DIY door alignment a nightmare real fast.
It first started trying to close the door after arriving at work one day. It was fine getting in the car that morning. And I know it wasn't hit or anything, Car is stored in a garage overnight
Old 10 Jan 2018, 03:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I was getting a bit of this recently, it was due to ice build up in areas of the door jam. Driving the car in sub zero temps with the heater on, of course, then the snow on the car warming and then refreezing when I stopped caused it. The last couple of days here in Michigan have been warmer and it has gone away.

Just a thought.
Old 10 Jan 2018, 03:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Was someone trying to get a coat hanger in through the door?
Old 10 Jan 2018, 04:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post
Was someone trying to get a coat hanger in through the door?
not that I'm aware of
Old 10 Jan 2018, 06:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

WD-40 is a miserable lubricant, it is too thin and runs off.

As others have said, look for ice build up on the weather strip including where the door meets the roof. Also look at the striker on the body to see if it has moved.

The door latch has two stages, the first grabs the door if it just swings shut. This is a safety mechanism in case someone doesn't close the door firmly enough. The second stage is where the door seals are compressed. You want to see if you are hitting both stages of the latch. Open the door, close it slightly to the first catch, note how large the gap is. Push the door farther ( or open then close normally ) and look at the gap, if gap is smaller you are hitting both latches.

Next, look at the latch on the door. Most are plastic coated and sometimes this breaks off preventing the door from pulling fully shut.

If the door is closed and you pull / push on the handle, does the door move enough to close the gap? The door will move slightly as it compressed the door seals even when everything is correct.

Does the window go up / down smoothly? If the upper door frame is bent slightly out the window might drag.

If the door latch is fully seated, not missing plastic and there isn't any ice build up, I've adjusted doors by lowering the window, opening door and pulling on the upper frame of the door. I'm not sure if I'd recommend someone without body / metal working experience try this at home. While the door won't just fold in half from a stiff breeze, it will move much easier than one would expect. Doors don't just bend so either it was like this and just noticed or something bent it.

Fine bending of doors , hood was more common on assembly lines when build tolerances were larger.
ptprice and myckee like this.