Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vibration in Rear & Crunch Scrape noise in rear over bumps 02 PT CRUISER

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2018, 06:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Vibration in Rear & Crunch Scrape noise in rear over bumps 02 PT CRUISER

Hi....I have been chasing this noise for a while now. Took to my mechanic and he is a little stumped and I consider him a great mechanic. It actually sounds like the rear right side of the car is bottoming out when it hits a big dip in the road on that side...its like a crunching scraping sound and it appears to make this sound when it hits the bump or dip...not actually on the rebound. the mechanic checked the coil springs, rear suspension, even the wheel well panel and nothing. The only thing he noticed was the rubber dampers on the coils...the right one was mangled in it and he suggested to remove them and see if it solved the issue, but it didnt do anything. Noise is still there and heard louder when colder temps outside. When its warm...the rear makes a pop noise (1 pop) when accelerating from a stop only. I think my rear coils are bad (especially the right one)...because why would the right side rubber damper be mangled in it? It also has a bounciness to my seat (coming from the rear) when driving...its like the seat is mildly vibrating, which also leads me to believe rear suspension. btw, the shocks were replaced (3 times in 4 months because the right one kept blowing out and leaking) I thought that was a defect in manufacturer but 3 times is highly unlikely.....please, please, any thoughts???

Last edited by colleenk; 13 Jan 2018 at 06:04 am.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 07:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration in Rear & Crunch Scrape noise in rear over bumps 02 PT CRUISER

Have him inspect the rear suspension Watts Link on the center of rear axle and the connected bars that attach to it. The bar on right side attaches to the body up top and the left side bar to the axle. Sounds like the axle is shifting right to left and may be putting a side load on the right rear shock wearing out the piston seal. Real unusual to have that many right rear shocks go bad that quick. Watts Link wear is a common issue on the PT's. Easy and not a costly repair. Coil springs usually work forever or they can break. Very unusual to have one break. Broken spring would be easy to feel driving and see, doubt that is the problem.
dougs, CRUZ and colleenk like this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver

Last edited by My02RedRide; 13 Jan 2018 at 07:13 am.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration in Rear & Crunch Scrape noise in rear over bumps 02 PT CRUISER

Welcome to the forum

When my PT had that "pop" noise from the rear end, it was from the Watts Link.

But any noise at the rear end could also be the rear sway bar or end link bushings.

When you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread
colleenk likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
159k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Jan 2018 at 07:52 am.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 08:26 am
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG had similar symptoms after a visit up north in the land of pot holes. It ended up being that his jounce pads had been decimated by those viscous pot holes. A simple install of two new jounce pads and the rear axle no longer bottoms out. They come in pink and black too. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1057 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

IMG_1059 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 13 Jan 2018 at 12:50 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

In order to solve this , we very specific information.

What is the history of this car?

How long / miles have you had it?

When was the symptom first noticed?

Where specifically would the shock leak from?

Has the car ever suffered any crash damage in the RR?

Has the car been lowered? ( look at some pics and compare distance from center of the wheel to body )
Old 13 Jan 2018, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

to answer the questions pertaining to history of vehicle:
never been in accident
56,000 original miles on it
shock would leak from joint of shock (oil seeped out)
car has not been lowered.

Will have mechanic check the watts link (though that was replaced 6 months ago)
and everything stated by My02RedRide and everyone else as well who replied. I take great pride in maintaining my beloved cruiser and want it to stay maintained.

will keep you all posted later this week...plan on seeing mechanic friday.

also, have a vibration in my seat when driving..around 40mph...thats usually the rear of vehicle (tires and wheels are new, true and balanced correctly)

thanks so much for all the help! truly appreciate it!
the3dgm likes this.

Last edited by colleenk; 13 Jan 2018 at 08:37 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

When you say joint of the shock, is this where the lower attaching bolt goes in or where the piston rod enters the body? The piston rod is like that rod on a screen door closer where you move that little clip to keep it open.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 05:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

sorry, well, the first two times it leaked at the top of the shock where the piston rod goes...the third time the shock stopped rebounding, i guess, and would not decompress all the way after a rebound. Hope this makes sense and it was always the right shock that stopped performing correctly. The noise i hear over bumps actually sounds like it is coming from the rear hatch but inside the rear right corner behind the back seat. (the noise is not inside the car though at all). The mechanic told me the watts link was tight. At first he noticed the rear right lateral bar was excessively lose as well as the right rear sway bar link and replaced both those parts. Noise still there, but those parts he showed me and brought me into the shop so I could see they were a problem which I appreciate. Noise is a crunch, scrape crunch...like 3 times or so when the right side is rebounding off a dip. When the weather gets to be really cold, the noise is more profound. My husband owns a collision shop and he said its NOT a plastic rubbing sound, but more of a scraping coming from metal and its only the right side. But that pop sound (one pop) on hard acceleration from a stop only, is also heard from the rear, pretty sure its also the right side.

Last edited by colleenk; 14 Jan 2018 at 05:57 am.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 08:52 am
Cool Cruiser

From the latest description, it sounds like the RR shock is getting over compressed and bottoming out. Given you have access to body shop, have him measure ride height to make sure it isn't inches low.

With suspension loaded, measure shock distance bolt to bolt. We need to see if this is correct. I'd also want to make sure the shock part number is correct and the wrong one ( too long or too short of travel ) wasn't sent initially , failed then " Hey, give me another one of this part number" .

If this does not solve the problem, I'd pull both rear springs and cycle the rear suspension with a jack looking for rub / noise.

Also, be aware the front strut mounts / bearings fail and make a thumping / popping noise in the front over bumps. I need to change these on my car when it gets warmer.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 09:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Stupid question, I'm sure, but is your jack secure inside the hole where it goes? If your jack is loose inside the bag, it could rattle around inside the hole. Just guessing here.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Tags
coil springs, crunching over bumps, rear suspension, vibration