• 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 3 Post By rob302
  • 2 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By 06_PB6_TOURING
  • 2 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2018, 12:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Strange difference discovered between first and second generation PT Cruisers

It's strange and new to me anyway. From the photo below you'll be able to see a certain half moon cut out of the curvature of the rear bumper cover just to the side if the rolled edge relief that's there to clear the exhaust tip.

I find it's common to all first generation PTs but the rolled edge relief on the second generation PTs, 2006 and up doesn't have this half moon cut out.

I have a photo of that same portion on a 2006 PT with out that half moon cutout proving it's not there, but for some reason I can't download it to my computer. Curiouser and curiouser.

There's gotta be a reason for this difference. There's gotta be a reason why that photo of the 06 wont download. Could this be proof of Russian conspiracy?

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_2102 (640x480).jpg

Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 13 Jan 2018 at 01:41 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Strange difference discovered between first and second generation PT Cruisers

It's the Ruskies for sure, Price. CNN seems to blame them for everything.

I believe the reason for the small cutout is clearance for the left edge of the muffler. On the 2nd Gen PT's, the bottom lip of the bumper cover doesn't roll in that far. So the cutout is not necessary.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jan 2018 at 01:11 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 01:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Strange difference discovered between first and second generation PT Cruisers

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

top pic would be the russian bumper (wider area for plate)

Last edited by rob302; 13 Jan 2018 at 01:15 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

from here: www.bumpermegastore.com/search?q=pt cruiser rear
Old 13 Jan 2018, 01:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I really got a laugh out of that. Yup, it must be the Russians!

Happy PTin price
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It's the Ruskies for sure, Price. CNN seems to blame them for everything.
" . . . .Last night I watched the news from Washington, the capitol
The Russians escaped while we weren't watching them, like Russians will
Now we've got all this room, we've even got the moon
And I hear the U.S.S.R. will be open soon
As vacation land for lawyers in love . . . . "
Old 13 Jan 2018, 03:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The Russians? Are you kidding me? It's Obama and Crooked Hillary's fault. Just ask Trump!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 10:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Now that I have it explained, I can just imagine the first few PT's coming off the assembly line in sunny Mexico must have been held up as they put the tail end of the exhaust system in. The muffler was hitting the bumper cover. "What, it doesn't fit! We have an indent on the bumper cover, specifically for that. Impossible! Your just not putting it together right." A few engineers got their heads together. "Nope it doesn't fit." A light bulb went on and for the next fours years, till the model change, shift after shift every bumper cover that was put on the line had to go thru a cobbled modification and have that little half moon cut of so the muffler would fit.

Happy PTin', ptprice