PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thermostat Temp?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2018, 07:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Thermostat Temp?

My PT cruiser has been leaking a bit of coolant sense I bought it, maybe like 1-2 drops overnight, Its coming from the thermostat area, Going to replace the gasket and see what happens, And while I'm in there ill give it a new thermostat and cap.

Napa lists many thermostats that will fit the car, All of them have different temps on them though?

195F
180F
160F

Whats the oringinal
OEM Spec for this?

And is there a better one to use in Canadian climate? Thanks guys
Old 13 Jan 2018, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thermostat Temp?

If the leak is coming from the thermostat area, it's a good chance you might have a problem with the plastic radiator outlet connector (#2) in the photo below. Check that real good for signs of the leak.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 07:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If the leak is coming from the thermostat area, it's a good chance you might have a problem with the plastic radiator outlet connector (#2) in the photo below. Check that real good for signs of the leak.

its pretty crammed in there, it would be easier to check it when its disassembled. Leaking from the front corner
Old 13 Jan 2018, 08:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
My PT cruiser has been leaking a bit of coolant sense I bought it, maybe like 1-2 drops overnight, Its coming from the thermostat area, Going to replace the gasket and see what happens, And while I'm in there ill give it a new thermostat and cap.

Napa lists many thermostats that will fit the car, All of them have different temps on them though?

195F
180F
160F

Whats the oringinal
OEM Spec for this?

And is there a better one to use in Canadian climate? Thanks guys
195F

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Jan 2018, 10:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

#4 in the pic is an aluminum adapter that bolts to the head, I'm not sure what type of gasket is used there. The plastic thermostat housing has a rubber gasket that slips over the thermostat, some stats come with this already so check in the box.

This rubber gasket is reusable over and over so do not put any sealer on it. I've had mine off a few times chasing a fuel injector problem. It is actually easy to remove on a non turbo car, I don't know about turbo cars.

Doing this on a warm engine helps as the plastic / rubber parts will be soft.

Draining about 1/2 gal of coolant should be enough.

Remove the air filter box and rubber air intake elbow from throttle body.

The upper intake needs to move out of the way, this is has 5 8mm headed bolts across the front and a 13 mm by back of throttle body support.

Pull the upper intake to the side and upwards so you have space for the upper rad hose to escape. Tying it to the hood latch helps. COVER THE LOWER INTAKE WITH A RAG, this is to prevent something from falling into the intake manifold, this is critical.

Remove the overflow hose from the housing, use a 13 mm ( maybe 10 ) socket and loosen the forward most bolt, pick the bolt out of the housing. Loosen the rear most bolt but leave it in the housing. Pick the housing up with the bolt, trying to get the bolt out with the housing in place it difficult.

Pull bolt out of the housing, pull stat out of housing. The stat is offset so when you install the new one, make sure it is clocked to clear the housing ribs. The aluminum housing will need cleaning, just make sure it is smooth, discolored is OK.

Put the rear most bolt in the housing and carefully lower everything to the adapter. When you tighten the bolts, do it evenly. There is a metal spacer that sets the gasket compression distance so finger tight to bolt breaking off is the same amount of sealing force. This is a small bolt so tighten accordingly. Reattach overflow hose.

The upper intake has rubber gaskets also, they are reusable. The gasket compression is preset like the stat so same rules apply, torque will be less as these are small bolts. Screwdriver tightness would be plenty. Make sure the 13 mm headed bolt by the throttle body is reinstalled, this keeps the intake from vibrating.

Install rubber air intake elbow and air box.

Many stats have a " jiggle pin " this allows air to bleed past the stat when filling, this takes the place of the bleeder screw in the aluminum housing.

This should be about everything.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Also check the bleeder, mine leaked and had to be replaced.
Spend a few extra dollars and use all original parts and change the hoses while your at it. Also use original parts. If my car was an example would have saved me time and money.

Good luck
Mike
06 Base
Old 14 Jan 2018, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Although I may have missed it.... members when asking about part recommendations and really about anything for the maintenance work or drivability should not assume we all know the year and model and other IMPORTANT information about your PT Cruiser?
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Jan 2018, 05:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Although I may have missed it.... members when asking about part recommendations and really about anything for the maintenance work or drivability should not assume we all know the year and model and other IMPORTANT information about your PT Cruiser?
Good idea ill put it in my signature
Old 16 Jan 2018, 04:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Anyone know the bolt size for the housing?

Dropped 1 bolt and spent an hour and a half with a magnet, Shaking the car and I can't find it
rob302 likes this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 16 Jan 2018, 05:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

It is the same size as the other bolt on the housing It is 8 mm dia x 1.25 pitch about 45 mm long but don't quote me on the length.

The pitch is standard coarse not fine as found on Japanese cars. Make sure the bolt isn't too long and bottoms out in the hole or too short that only a few threads are grabbing. About 12 mm is a good amount of thread engagement though longer is fine.