Not going into reverse

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 06_PB6_TOURING
  • 1 Post By War_Eagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2018, 12:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Not going into reverse

I have an 05 GT, automatic. I parked at a store, the car was running great when i stopped, but when i started it up and put it in reverse, no movement and a grinding sound from the front area, under my feet. I pushed it out of the parking spot and attempted to drive forward and it it grinding and not wanting to move.
I pulled a code P0700 and it refers to transmission issue, which I pretty much figured that much out. What I'm hoping is that someone else has experienced the same type of issue and at least have a starting point of where to begin.
Does a obdll scan tool diagnose transmission issues or is there a special scan needed for transmission? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 03:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Not going into reverse

You may have a broken, or improperly installed CV shaft. Check those first. If one breaks, or is dislodged, the car will not move and may grind on the partially connected shaft. Hopefully that's what your issue is.

Some obd2 scanners will read the trans codes, and others will not. It just depends on how powerful it is. If it only says p0700 but doesn't display others then you need to use a better scanner or find a shop with one.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Please, please,( everyone not just our guy ) when posting a code also look up the specific description and post it. This saves others from looking it up. P0700 is a MIL request from the trans controller. We need the trans codes to go farther.

If you disconnected all the electronic shift plugs, the trans would still have 2nd and reverse. Your root problem does not lie in the electrical side.

As above said, check for a failed CV joint. Look for a rubber boot that is twisted. DO NOT put the car in gear with the wheels on ground and look to see if the shafts are spinning if the joint grabs the car may move.

Does park hold the car?

An easy test for CV is one wheel on ground, trans in park, one wheel elevated, engine off. Try to rotate the wheel, if it turns an 1/8 turn or so then stops, the CV is OK. If it keeps turning, look at the CV joint to see it the joint is turning with the shaft.

If the CV joints are OK, but elevated wheel spins, I'd move towards broken spyder gears in the differential. If these check out I'd move towards the low / reverse clutch area, the drum / drive shell may have stripped out. Given you have a trans code, I'd lean towards a stripped drum / drive shell.

As a last resort, I'd pull the solenoid pack connector and see if the car moves in limp 2nd / reverse.
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 05:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
You may have a broken, or improperly installed CV shaft. Check those first. If one breaks, or is dislodged, the car will not move and may grind on the partially connected shaft. Hopefully that's what your issue is.

Some obd2 scanners will read the trans codes, and others will not. It just depends on how powerful it is. If it only says p0700 but doesn't display others then you need to use a better scanner or find a shop with one.
Thanks for the info. I believe you might be on to something with the CV joint/shaft. I was under the front end with the car on jack stands and the rubbing/grinding is coming from the left front boot area. I am ordering a complete shaft assembly for the driver side, and the repair doesn't look very difficult. Thanks again
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 05:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you do the engine running, trans in gear test again:

If the outer CV failed, you should see the axle shaft spin but not the housing, the boot will be twisted / torn.

If the inner CV failed the housing would spin but not the axle, the boot will be twisted / torn.

If the boots are not twisted / torn, your problem lies elsewhere.

A broken CV won't cause a trans code.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 05:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
If the boots are not twisted / torn, your problem lies elsewhere.
this is technically incorrect as axles also snap at the inner splines. meaning the splines crack off in the differential and everything from the trans outwards will appear AOK.
Old 16 Jan 2018, 08:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
this is technically incorrect as axles also snap at the inner splines. meaning the splines crack off in the differential and everything from the trans outwards will appear AOK.
Possible but unlikely. The in park, one wheel on ground , one wheel elevated , turn the elevated wheel would test for this.

When a CV joint fails to transmit power, usually the outer one has a broken ball cage.

The inner joint is a tripod style so failure of the actual joint isn't common.

A failed CV won't cause a trans code. If that code is valid and not old, our guy has trans problems.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 07:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Possible but unlikely. The in park, one wheel on ground , one wheel elevated , turn the elevated wheel would test for this.

When a CV joint fails to transmit power, usually the outer one has a broken ball cage.

The inner joint is a tripod style so failure of the actual joint isn't common.

A failed CV won't cause a trans code. If that code is valid and not old, our guy has trans problems.
Waiting for the weather to improve in a couple of days and then I'm going to do the one wheel up and one down test. I live on a dirt road with a not smooth surface and i've also heard that after 100k miles, there is a good chance of failure in the axle shafts on the PT's, anyone heard of this? I know that they dont have to be replaced in pairs but if the mileage story is true, I may end up replacing both and being done with it. I'll keep you posted on my progress and hope it's not the transmission.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 08:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've never heard of a mileage thing related to the PT or any other FWD vehicle. I had a 1994 Plymouth Acclaim with over 200,000 miles on the OEM drive axles. I have to call BS on that one.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

CV joint life will be reduced by:

Lots of stops and starts

Lots of turns especially under power.

Turbo car

Manual trans ( especially with a rough driver )

lots of bumpy / slippery roads ( where a wheel spins then suddenly grabs traction )

I would not call a specific mileage a point of failure, however 100 K is in the beginning of the failure window.