Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clunking ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2018, 11:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Clunking ?

Thanks for any info.......The car is a 07 with 73k miles. I'm now hearing front suspension clunking. What bushings should I buy?
Old 14 Jan 2018, 06:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Clunking ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Thanks for any info.......The car is a 07 with 73k miles. I'm now hearing front suspension clunking. What bushings should I buy?
Look at the lower control arm rear vertical bushings at the rear of the front control arms. Time and miles breaks the bond between the rubber and the press in sleeve. Control arm bottom at the vertical bushing will contact the engine / suspension cradle. Best off with the miles is to buy 2 control arms... fresh ball joints too (and they come with zerk grease fittings).

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 14 Jan 2018, 07:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Look at the sway bar end links to see if they are loose / worn.

Worn upper strut mounts / bearings can lead to a clunking over bumps. This is difficult to diagnose without taking the struts apart and is more of a " Everything else is tight and this is the last part that can't be easily checked" . I need to change mine when it gets warmer.

Also, check the car don't randomly throw parts at it, remote diagnosis still requires someone to physically look at the car.
Old 15 Jan 2018, 09:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

In addition to the end links, check the sway bar bushings too. They come in 3 different sizes, so measure yours if they're worn.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've got an update.

Changed upper strut mounts / bearings with no improvement in clunking / popping.

The strut rods were not loose in the strut body and the struts have good damping action. Front sway bar links are new, frame side bushings good. Lower control arm bushing are good. The steering linkage passes the grab the tire and shake test.

I'm really leaning towards lower ball joints. These don't see any axial load unless the sway bar is transfering load either around a corner or left to right if one wheel is going over a bump. Going over bumps there is a double clunk / pop that would be consistent with swap bar load transfer.

The ball joints check out with the suspension hanging however, I have seen ball joints / ball socket type inner tie rod ends have play in operational position but not when at the suspension is drooping.

The next step will be to separate the ball joint stem from spindle and move the ball joint around.

Last edited by 06_PB6_TOURING; 20 Jan 2018 at 06:09 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 11:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Outer tie rods. Kick the tires and see if you hear the clunking
Old 25 Jan 2018, 09:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

More than likely it is you Control Arm Bushings. I had the same issue with my 2008. I replaced Struts, Sway bars, and CV Joints. Old mechanic could not find the issue. New mechanic had it on a lift for 2 minutes and came back and said my inner control arm bushing was shot. Replaced the Control Arm (which came with new Ball Joint) and voila. The noise/clunking was gone. Check the bushings.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 07:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Update on my car:

99% of clunk is gone, left with an occasional pop.

Changed lower ball joints, they were not causing the clunk but were getting notchy / ot of grease at 163 K miles.

The frame side sway bar bushings were causing the clunk. With the suspension hanging there were tight but when I removed the link pins and moved bar to operating height the frame bushings were loose. Installed Moog blue for a 24 mm bar.

The 1% pop I'm getting is occasional, it might be the steering rack becoming loose in the housing. I've had this before on other cars and end up leaving it go until the rack needs changed for other reasons.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 08:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Update on my car:

99% of clunk is gone, left with an occasional pop.

Changed lower ball joints, they were not causing the clunk but were getting notchy / ot of grease at 163 K miles.

The frame side sway bar bushings were causing the clunk. With the suspension hanging there were tight but when I removed the link pins and moved bar to operating height the frame bushings were loose. Installed Moog blue for a 24 mm bar.

The 1% pop I'm getting is occasional, it might be the steering rack becoming loose in the housing. I've had this before on other cars and end up leaving it go until the rack needs changed for other reasons.
Does yours have that "pop" when putting the vehicle into drive? If so, check your torque struts as that's what it was on my PT when putting it into gear.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 05:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'll torque the motor FWD and REV to check. The upper was replaced during the timing / WP change.

The pop does sound like a bolt shifting in a hole. Next time I'm under the car I'll check the lower for fretting / loose bolt. I had frame side of lower off to do the timing belt