Advertisements
Car exhaust coming in through AC vents

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Renegade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Car exhaust coming in through AC vents

Just bough a used 2005 PT Turbo Convertible and have been working through some issues with it. Just when I thought I had exerything squared away I took it on the long haul to work (50mi each way.) Made it there with no problems but halfway back i started getting a strong smell of exhaust coming in from the AC vents. The problem would subside a bit if I turned on recirculate and opened the windows but not completely even with the top down things were fumey especially when idling in traffic. I bought a carbon monoxide detector today to see if it read anything in the cabin. It was not able to pick up any measurable levels but on doing some research I found that modern cars do not put out much CO anymore. The situation sucks, I dont like breathing in all that nasty stuff, gives me a headache! I am also adamant about doing my own work and hate taking my car to a shop. Could use some advice on where to start with this one. I am including a picture of soumething I notices when checking out an oil leak. It looks like a broken bolt on an exhaust connection. Perhaps thats where I should start?
20180113_220021.jpg
Old 25 Jan 2018, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Car exhaust coming in through AC vents

Are you sure it's exhaust and not coolant fumes you're smelling?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 11:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I sometimes smell coolant when I'm coming to a stop. Not sure of the source. I dread the heater core.
Old 07 Feb 2018, 11:29 pm
Young Cruiser

It's not coolant fumes, my other PT has that problem!! I had it smoke tested by my mechanic and they found several leaks so I took it to a very reputable muffler shop and they supposedly repaired the leaks and the broken bolt but the car is still fumey both inside and out. I had an oil leak that was recently repaired, I wonder if the engine is just burning off the oil from the leak. I also put seafoam in the tank before the problem started so maybe thats it? The exhaust has some smoke or water vapor that I can see coming out of the tail pipe but that could just be the cold weather. I am stumped on this one!
Old 07 Feb 2018, 11:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Also after leaving the carbon monoxide detector in the cabin for a few days it did pick up some small levels.
Old 08 Feb 2018, 02:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
I sometimes smell coolant when I'm coming to a stop. Not sure of the source. I dread the heater core.
I started smelling that in mid-October. I tried some Bars Stop Leak in early January, but at the end of the month the core blew open even bigger. What I'm saying is don't let it go on too long or you risk overheating sometime when you are nowhere near home.

Since you are in SoCal like me, you can probably just do a heater bypass until you are ready to tackle the core replacement. That's the route I took for now.
Old 08 Feb 2018, 10:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

if it were me, i would stick a shop-vac on the tailpipe and play around with a cigar, or you may opt to bring it back to be "smoke machined" again. it's also possible you have a crack in the exhaust manifold which could grow and shrink as it heats/cools. it's fairly common.

Last edited by rob302; 08 Feb 2018 at 10:43 am.