• 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 2 Post By ptprice
  • 3 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2018, 08:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Asking for opinions on warranties, parts and labor

SOOO BIG'll be coming out of the shop tomorrow. I've put a lot of faith in this mechanic who's doing the work as he's done nothing but excellent work for me prior.

It's a long list beginning with;

A complete set of four new Mopar engine, torque struts and trans mount replacements.

Complete Continental Contitech PP265LY2 Pro Series Plus timing belt kit with new water pump.

New timing cover. The old one was badly belt scored.

New serpentine and alternator belts

Right tie rod end replacement. The old end was almost out of wear tolorances. Might as well replace it now. There also be a front end re-alignment with that.

New radiator. SOOO BIG's been limping along with a radiator with only one bottom bracket. I didn't know it. Held in place by the hoses and other brackets. Plastic crap now days. Might as well replace it now. Even though it's still functioning there's no labor charge involved to put a new one in as the broken one came out to do the fix 'em up work. In SOOO BIG's earlier history some jack leg probably broke it off. The piece is still there. A little road dirt on it but I might try to fix it by cleaning it all up, using a good quality plastic epoxy and give it to a PTer who needs one.

Simple question and the reason for the thread. "What should I reasonably expect on the time length of labor warranties and parts warranties?" And for which parts and which labor?"

I've asked for all the old parts as has always been my practice. I plan on asking for the receipts too and requested that in a short phone conversation this morning along with any relevant boxes that just might have part numbers or warranty info on them.

Thanks for all the help in doing this and thanks for the constant good advise.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 23 Jan 2018 at 08:20 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 08:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Asking for opinions on warranties, parts and labor

I believe timing belt & water pump is 15,000 or 2 years, for labor...but that depends on the shop.
Basically, each shop has their own.

Parts are either 1 year or Lifetime, but your gonna have to pay to have them pulled & re-installed.
podo2000 and ptprice like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 23 Jan 2018 at 08:52 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 08:56 pm
Banned

Is your mechanic working out of his garage or is it a shop that did the work, and your mechanic works for the shop?

If a shop, then you would get whatever warranty they offer, which is typically 12 months/12,000 miles, but any warranty should be listed on their final invoice.

I think that you should have discussed the warranty before authorizing the work, as you could end up with as little as a 90-day warranty.

If MOPAR parts were used, MOPAR warranties a lot of their parts for 24 months, but that warranty may not necessarily transfer to you since technically you didn't purchase the parts, your shop or mechanic did.

A while back I had a shop install Monroe rear shocks onto my PT and they have a Lifetime Warranty. When they wore out I did not want the shop that installed them to replace them as I no longer trusted them working on my PT. I contacted Monroe for warranty replacement assistance and all they required was a copy of the shops original invoice that listed the Monroe part numbers. I was able to furnish that and Monroe sent me new shocks which I installed myself. They also included return shipping labels as they wanted the old shocks back.

The point is, if after the shops warranty expires and you still have an issue with a part that has a longer warranty than the shop offers, you may have to deal directly with that part manufacturer. But your original invoice would or should also list every part number that was used in the repairs of your vehicle.

Work that I've had done at Goodyear they offer a 24 month/24,000 mile warranty.

I always ask for the old parts, you have that right as a consumer to ask for them, and the shops must provide them with the exception of anything that might have a core charge, in which case they need to turn those in, or pass on the core charge to you if you insist on the old part.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 23 Jan 2018 at 09:45 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some people should own/operate a shop sometime and get some real world experience with operating one!

In the shop I work out of which is a 5 star shop we give a standard 90 day warranty adjusted. This means on some things the warranty for labor coverage may be longer or shorter depending on a variety of factors. But....we always try our best to take care of the customer and their needs and understand that life can sometime present challenges mostly with finances. This is what we call building a rapport with a customer. I have had to change....well PT Cruiser related...a PCM in one customers PT Cruiser 3 times in one year at no charge because of repeated "rebuilt PCM" failures. Now in this case we all know a PCM change only takes about 15 minutes but never the less....we changed them at no charge and got nothing back from the supplier. We understand this as part of operating a shop.
Last year a water pump new from Lexus (The dealer) we changed went bad in less then 6 months. The customer brought us the water pump so only the standard labor coverage of 90 days applied. But because this was a regular customer for years we changed the water pump at no charge. No reimbursement from the dealership we even asked to submit a labor claim and they said Lexus does not pay labor claims and it is written on the invoice that came with the part.

What some of you easily suggest about the parts warranty is not what we in the shop go through. The fine prints often always states that labor is not covered. This means that we as a shop if during the labor warranty a part goes wrong we must absorb the labor cost or as part of doing business and the operating expenses. Naturally there are sometimes things we can do like submit a labor claim with the manufacture which anymore is seldom paid. I hate to break it to some members but dealerships are in the same catagory. You just think they get get their labor returned on a failed Chrysler part when in reality it is only a percentage of the labor and almost NEVER 100%.

Bottom line common sence!
As always READ everything on the service contract with the dealership or independent shop before signing it and if you don't understand something ASK!!!!!!
ptprice and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jan 2018 at 12:26 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 12:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Is your mechanic working out of his garage or is it a shop that did the work, and your mechanic works for the shop?

If a shop, then you would get whatever warranty they offer, which is typically 12 months/12,000 miles, but any warranty should be listed on their final invoice.

I think that you should have discussed the warranty before authorizing the work, as you could end up with as little as a 90-day warranty.

If MOPAR parts were used, MOPAR warranties a lot of their parts for 24 months, but that warranty may not necessarily transfer to you since technically you didn't purchase the parts, your shop or mechanic did.

A while back I had a shop install Monroe rear shocks onto my PT and they have a Lifetime Warranty. When they wore out I did not want the shop that installed them to replace them as I no longer trusted them working on my PT. I contacted Monroe for warranty replacement assistance and all they required was a copy of the shops original invoice that listed the Monroe part numbers. I was able to furnish that and Monroe sent me new shocks which I installed myself. They also included return shipping labels as they wanted the old shocks back.

The point is, if after the shops warranty expires and you still have an issue with a part that has a longer warranty than the shop offers, you may have to deal directly with that part manufacturer. But your original invoice would or should also list every part number that was used in the repairs of your vehicle.

Work that I've had done at Goodyear they offer a 24 month/24,000 mile warranty.

I always ask for the old parts, you have that right as a consumer to ask for them, and the shops must provide them with the exception of anything that might have a core charge, in which case they need to turn those in, or pass on the core charge to you if you insist on the old part.
I always ask for the old parts too. (See my current thread relative to causal diagnosing from the old parts from SOOO BIG's timing belt catastrophe in 2015) This mechanic owns his own shop. It's grown from a one man operation to three other very competent mechanics working for him since I first went to him for service in 2012. His shop has grown because of his reputation for good diagnostics, careful work and reasonable costs. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
rckstein and NitroPT like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 04:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I always ask for the old parts too. (See my current thread relative to causal diagnosing from the old parts from SOOO BIG's timing belt catastrophe in 2015) This mechanic owns his own shop. It's grown from a one man operation to three other very competent mechanics working for him since I first went to him for service in 2012. His shop has grown because of his reputation for good diagnostics, careful work and reasonable costs. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
That's good that you've a shop that you can trust, they can be hard to come by.

I recently found a new shop, that is not a dealership, that did very good work on my PT, and I fully intend on using them in the future.

They will let me supply the parts, which I can usually get cheaper, and I fully understand that they are providing no warranty on the parts, but only their labor.

What some people, on this forum, need to realize is, that I am pro-consumer and that probably comes from my numerous years of retail customer service. Meaning that even though a shop may have policies in place, just because they have to, to protect themselves in today's world of everything seems to get resolved through litigation, that the policies are not set in stone or are absolute, and that if something does go wrong, don't go in demanding anything, but practice the art of negotiation and conflict resolution. If successful, you're likely going to come out with a better final outcome, to the satisfaction of all parties involved.