PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help with a part number #2

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Need help with a part number #2

Don't know who or why my last thread was CLOSED, but I would still like any info about this part. rckstein, you have been very helpful. I'm waiting to see if you get them from your dealer.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with a part number #2

Maybe the last post indicated on the first thread seems to indicate to the moderator that the answer was found.
Need help with a part #
Old 25 Jan 2018, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Don't know who or why my last thread was CLOSED, but I would still like any info about this part. rckstein, you have been very helpful. I'm waiting to see if you get them from your dealer.

When my dealer took my order, the parts person said that both were still available. However, only the drivers side (MOPAR 05152093AA) is still available, none for the passenger side (MOPAR 05152092AA), and they did a nation-wide search. Apparently the warehouse quantity was off, that may explain why your dealer told you that they have been discontinued, the warehouse fixed their count after I placed my order and they could not find any of the passenger side ones.

I thought the part was fancy molded foam or rubber, but after looking at the drivers side that they did have, it is nothing more than flat sheet foam and the contours are from the impression of the door. But over time, the foam disintegrates and you just look at it wrong, and it will crumble and fall off. The new one is very soft and pliable.

But I do have a drivers side that I can use as a pattern to make one for the passenger side. All I have to do is find some 3/4" medium density sheet foam. Ideally I would like it to be self adhesive, but if I can't find that, then I'll just use some 3M spray adhesive to hold the foam onto the body.

UPDATE 01/25 7pm:

I just ordered a passenger side one from a source online, we'll see if they actually have it available to ship, or if they have to get it from somewhere else and cancel my order if they can't get it. I'll keep the thread updated.

UPDATE 01/26 7:30am:

The online source I had ordered the passenger side notified me that it's not available, they have cancelled and refunded my order.

So I'm back to trying to locate some suitable foam.

red98gt, if I can find some foam, and I have one to use as a pattern, I can cut you a set for a nominal fee + the shipping charges. Just give me a little time.
podo2000 likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Jan 2018 at 03:18 pm.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I too have been busy trying to find these. My Dealer called be yesterday, and told me he again went thru his inventory and found both a left and right. I stopped by on my way home today, and bought both. So much for computer searches. They're only as good as the people that enter the info.
rckstein likes this.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I too have been busy trying to find these. My Dealer called be yesterday, and told me he again went thru his inventory and found both a left and right. I stopped by on my way home today, and bought both. So much for computer searches. They're only as good as the people that enter the info.
Well didn't you get lucky

Would you mind sending me a PM with the name and phone of your dealership, perhaps he has another passenger side still in stock that I could get.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 27 Jan 2018, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Another possibility for discontinued parts. There are companies that buy obsolete parts then resell them.

I don't recall the name of a Chrysler or multi make seller but can offer a Ford seller as an example. Main Green Sales Company

Google "surplus auto parts" and that might bring up some candidates that sell one part at a time. There are pallet load sellers but that tends to be aftermarket repair parts like brakes / steering and such.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

red98gt I received your PM, thanks for responding.

I am working with a dealership in PA that their system shows that there are currently 117 of the passenger seal sitting in the MOPAR DC in Milwaukee. He is going to try and order one for me, and we'll see if it ships.

My local dealership says because the item is flagged as "discontinued" that the DC wouldn't ship it to them. We'll see if the PA dealership is more successful.

But that's crazy if they have that many sitting in a warehouse, that they wouldn't want to sell one if somebody needs it, even though it's flagged as discontinued.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 28 Jan 2018, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

WOW 117 sitting in a Warehouse.....yea why wouldn't they offer them for sale. They will never get rid of them, poor distribution on someone's part. I guess most PT owners could care less. Please keep me informed to you outcome.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
WOW 117 sitting in a Warehouse.....yea why wouldn't they offer them for sale. They will never get rid of them, poor distribution on someone's part. I guess most PT owners could care less. Please keep me informed to you outcome.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe they have them setting aside to sell off as a liquidation sale of other obsolete parts to some third party.

But if the dealer in Pennsylvania can't get one, I'll try contacting a dealer closer to Milwaukee and see if they can drive to their Distribution Center and pick one up, then ship it to me.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 29 Jan 2018, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got a call today from the parts guy at my local dealership, even though both seals are flagged as "discontinued" in their system, if there is available stock, they can force an order through a distribution center to release the stock.

It just takes someone at my local DC to contact the other DC that has the items.

USMC '82 - '93