PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A thank you to the Forum. SOOO BIG's back up and running.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2018, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default A thank you to the Forum. SOOO BIG's back up and running.

"THANK YOU!" Without the great advise I've gotten from the Forum I wouldn't have had the PT understanding of how to resolve SOOO BIG's vibration and squeal.

No more squeal, no more vibration. He's whole again. The results of good Forum advise and the good work of a trusted shop. The fix addressed not only theses anomalies but a few others that have gone unnoticed.

All four engine/trans mounts replaced...
Three of the four had issues with breakdown of the compound inserts.
New timing belt kit installed along with new covers...
The initial emergency timing belt kit installation, less than 7000 miles ago, didn't have the proper adjustment to the tensioner leading to the squeal and the current fix. The timing covers were installed inefficiently leading to the belt rash and replacement of the covers.
Radiator replaced...
One bottom positioning post was broken off. It possibly happened during original assembly.The broken post was still laying next to the break point. No biggy, I just decided to replace it as no additional labor was involved. I'll post a separate thread on this, offering the radiator to any PTer who need a good PT radiator for $20.00 to me plus the packaging/shipping costs. I'll probably reattach the positioning post with some JB Weld dedicated Plastic Weld epoxy.
A/C output improved...
There was some minor loss of Freon since the new AC compressor and peripherals were installed last year. Just about normal. No biggy. But with the replacement of new line seals at the the points of disassembly for access, a vacuum of the system and a Freon recharge the AC is now preforming quite well.
The antifreeze protection increased from -22F to -60F...
Not a real necessity here in Florida but

One of the tie rod ends came under question in the initial diagnosis. Under further consideration, as any wear is still well within specs, we'll just keep an eye on it. When it needs to be replaced it'll probably be both of them at one felled swoop.

Now SOOO BIG idles with nothing more than that healthy animalistic quiver the PT engine is know for.
Now SOOO BIG idles with nothing heard but the pleasing stock guttural roar from the exhaust. No more squeal.

Reasonably, ALL PARTS AND LABOR WARRANTIED FOR ONE YEAR.

Posted are five photos the shop took during SOOO BIG's fix and five photos of the parts replaced. You'll note the engine was lifted just high enough for access.

On the old parts, note the holes in the compound in the mounts and the belt scars on the timing covers.

Happy PTin', ptprice

GetAttachmentThumbnail_005.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail_003.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail_006 (640x480) (2) (640x480).jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail_004.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

SSPX0114 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0106 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0108 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0115 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0112 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 27 Jan 2018 at 05:05 pm.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A thank you to the Forum. SOOO BIG's back up and running.

Sounds like your mechanic did you pretty good

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 28 Jan 2018, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did the mechanic give you the box that the new water pump was in?
Old 28 Jan 2018, 04:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did the mechanic give you the box that the new water pump was in?
Yup. The timing belt kit was CONTITECH. Below is what was written on the box top and side. Dated 08-Nov-2017. The water pump is referred to as having a metal impeller. Parts made in one of the following countries; Germany, U.S.A., Canada, France, Japan, Korea or China. Not water pump specific though. It's heartening that China is at the end of the list. But if, in each case, the manufacturer is held to proper standards, I guess it's immaterial. My mechanic inspected the water pump completely. He was satisfied that it was a GMB water pump built to Mopar specs.
Incidentally the water pump that came out, installed in 2015, was from a DAYCO KIT. It's fine. It was a GMB too. I guess I'm having a good track record with them. The squeal problem being that the jack legs who did that road side DAYCO kit install in 2015, had the tensioner too tight.
Ya gotta guess that maybe two different major brand name timing belt kits both using the GMB water pump might mean proven quality and dependability. I can't see internationally know brand names risking their reputation on a poor quality water pump.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_20180128_0005 (640x432).jpg

IMG_20180128_0003 (640x466).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Yup. The timing belt kit was CONTITECH. Below is what was written on the box top and side. Dated 08-Nov-2017. The water pump is referred to as having a metal impeller. Parts made in one of the following countries; Germany, U.S.A., Canada, France, Japan, Korea or China. Not water pump specific though. It's heartening that China is at the end of the list. But if, in each case, the manufacturer is held to proper standards, I guess it's immaterial. My mechanic inspected the water pump completely. He was satisfied that it was a GMB water pump built to Mopar specs.
Incidentally the water pump that came out, installed in 2015, was from a DAYCO KIT. It's fine. It was a GMB too. I guess I'm having a good track record with them. The squeal problem being that the jack legs who did that road side DAYCO kit install in 2015, had the tensioner too tight.
Ya gotta guess that maybe two different major brand name timing belt kits both using the GMB water pump might mean proven quality and dependability. I can't see internationally know brand names risking their reputation on a poor quality water pump.

Happy PTin', ptprice
That's exactly what the OEM has.

Wherever made, it's a little too late to worry about it now, and hopefully that will be the last timing belt change that your PT will have to endure.

Wishing you many trouble-free, PT'ing miles

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93