Desperate for help with clutch

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Dazzaman
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2018, 10:54 am
Young Cruiser

Default Desperate for help with clutch

Hi Everyone. I have searched the forum regarding clutch bleeding and have found lots of answers but unfortunately none of them seem to work for me.
I have a 2001 petrol 2.0l non turbo pt. I was getting an intermediate problem after a long journey on the motorway/Highway. As soon as I left and started driving on other roads I would get a bit of clutch slip.
My clutch was replaced approx 8000 miles ago so my first thought was that the slave cylinder was not returning fully, if I got a set of grips on the bar and pushed it further into the cylinder the clutch fork arm would move back with it.
I purchased a new slave cylinder and swapped it out I also replaced the fluid as it was very dark and dirty. This is where my problems started. Every which way I bled the system I could not get any clutch pressure. I then replaced the master cylinder which after bleeding the system by pushing the slave cylinder arm in fully and out lots of times until no more air could be seen in the master reservoir I did manage to get a bit of pressure but I would still need to pump the clutch to be able to get it in gear. I have now wedged the clutch pedal to the floor and left the top off the master reservoir in the hope of getting any trapped air out.
One thing I am not sure about is inside of the reservoir is a black rubber type sock thing? If I put that in and tighten the top it seals it and no air would be able to escape.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Please excuse my grammar, "Should have payed more attention at school" "
Old 28 Jan 2018, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Desperate for help with clutch

assuming you have the adjuster rod under the dash lengthened ALL the way, this is the ONLY way i know of for you to get the slave to push farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhr View Post
The main and cheapest work-arounds for this problem are ways to get more action from the slave cylinder without pushing the clutch pedal through the floor. My push rod was already fully extended (8mm wrench). To get more action, I put washers as spacers under the slave cylinder attachments.

To install the washers, I loosened both bolts but only took out one at a time- and shifted the cylinder to slide the 1/4" washers in. It worked. 2 each side would work better I think.

An easy job for even non-mechanics. If you reach your arm under the front bumper to touch the engine-transmission, your hand will be near the slave cylinder. Photo shows the slave cylinder and a shiny washer.
pic click here
i know it's not the right way but it may buy you time and keep you mobile. there is no good way to bleed these that i know of. mine didn't even have a bleeder anywhere. only option i could come up with was to buy a new master/slave pre-bled, pre assembled combo

ONLY other option is to use the tool that can pull vacuum on the fluid reservoir to pull out air with vacuum

Last edited by rob302; 28 Jan 2018 at 04:13 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 05:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzaman View Post
Hi Everyone. I have searched the forum regarding clutch bleeding and have found lots of answers but unfortunately none of them seem to work for me.
I have a 2001 petrol 2.0l non turbo pt. I was getting an intermediate problem after a long journey on the motorway/Highway. As soon as I left and started driving on other roads I would get a bit of clutch slip.
My clutch was replaced approx 8000 miles ago so my first thought was that the slave cylinder was not returning fully, if I got a set of grips on the bar and pushed it further into the cylinder the clutch fork arm would move back with it.
I purchased a new slave cylinder and swapped it out I also replaced the fluid as it was very dark and dirty. This is where my problems started. Every which way I bled the system I could not get any clutch pressure. I then replaced the master cylinder which after bleeding the system by pushing the slave cylinder arm in fully and out lots of times until no more air could be seen in the master reservoir I did manage to get a bit of pressure but I would still need to pump the clutch to be able to get it in gear. I have now wedged the clutch pedal to the floor and left the top off the master reservoir in the hope of getting any trapped air out.
One thing I am not sure about is inside of the reservoir is a black rubber type sock thing? If I put that in and tighten the top it seals it and no air would be able to escape.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Please excuse my grammar, "Should have payed more attention at school" "
With the clutch pedal wedged down to the floor is pretty much the same way I bleed the hydraulic clutch and front brakes on my Harley. I pumped the begezers on mine first then held the lever down to the handle bars with a rubberband. By doing this helps the air bubbles rise to the top past the master piston. I have also tapped on the brake, in your case the slave cylinder and formed plastic hose to help work the bubbles to the top. I also rap on the master with the end of a screw driver. The black rubber thing is basically a diaphragm / bladder that takes up room when the fluid / clutch wears and the fluid level drops (also minimizes air above the fluid level). I suggest not to have this in place when bleeding like I mentioned above. When you get a good feel on the pedal then install it.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver

Last edited by My02RedRide; 28 Jan 2018 at 05:48 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 06:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

You are describing two problems here, please read and make sure what you are calling "" clutch slip " is actually the symptom.

1: A clutch that slips. ( engine revs up but car won't accelerate. This is like driving down the road and pushing the pedal part way down until the engine revs up. )

2: A clutch that won't release enough ( drags ) even though you push the pedal ( this symptom was immediately post clutch hydraulic system work )

For problem 2, here is what I've done to a PT at the shop I do some consulting work for. Shop installed the master only but didn't bleed according to manual ( with master off car, tilt vertical and pump. ) and had a dragging clutch. The car in question had ABS and it was a major ordeal to install clutch master and there were not going to take it out again.

They got it bled with a pressure bleeder ( sort of ) but the clutch was not fully releasing. One way to make sure the air is out of the system is to collapse the slave cyl and push fluid towards the master.

In this case I removed brake fluid cap ( LHD cars use the brake master as a fluid source, I'm not sure about RHD cars ) removed the slave, let it extend, waited 30 seconds then rapidly fully collapsed the slave, waited 30 seconds then released. I watched the fluid level for bubbles / fluid level to drop. Once I didn't see any bubbles and no drop is fluid level, I called the MC free of air.

This helped but still had a bottom of floor clutch release. Then they installed the new master, they adjusted the rod at full length but the bolt was not as tight as it should have been. This caused the length to shorten. I readjusted and tightened the bolt but the joint slipped again. I then tightened the bolt more than I was comfortable with for such a small bolt and it held. It may be a good idea to install a 2nd bolt in the slot for more clamping force. I also removed the rubber bumper that stops the clutch pedal and gained more travel.

As a side note, these clutch systems are self adjusting so installing a longer slave rod won't help. The slave has a long bore and a light spring, this spring pushes the slave piston outwards until the release bearing contacts the clutch fingers taking free play to zero. The spring isn't strong enough to make the clutch slip.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 06:10 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you all for the advice. On my pt there is no adjustment on the clutch pedal rod it is just a one piece rod. The first symptom which got me to where I am now was the clutch slipping, as if I was pushing down on the clutch pedal. This only happened after a long journey. As I said the clutch had been replaced and has been fine.

My02RedRide. what you have described is very much what I am doing so that gives me confidence that it will sort itself. I will do what you said regarding tapping on the cylinder and pipe work. I will keep going and report back with the outcome.

Thank you again for all your advice.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 09:55 am
Regular Cruiser

To bleed the hydraulic system, the best way I've found is to pull the slave cylinder from the trans and work the pushrod in and out by hand with the reservoir cap off.
2004 Touring Turbo Lite, Hahn 20g turbo, ATX ->T350 5-speed swap, mtx stage 1 pcm, DiabloSport InTune, rear sway bar, Wilwood big front brakes, rear disc brake conversion, Drop Zone springs, SRT4 dual exhaust
Old 01 Feb 2018, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Well first off Thank you to all that offered some suggestions. The way I finally got it sorted was to pump the slave cylinder to expel trapped air this helped but I still had a soft peddle which would have to be pumped to get into gear. So I wedged the clutch to the floor and left the reservoir cap off for a couple of days. That finally got all the trapped air out and gave me a perfect clutch😊
Kind regards
Darren
Old 02 Feb 2018, 05:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Worked many times on my Harley's no reason it wouldn't work on a darn car..... air bubbles always rise to the top past the actuated master cyl piston. GLAD you got it solved, now go get yerself a couple pints and relax
Dazzaman likes this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver