Advertisements
Airbag light and multifunction switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2018, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Airbag light and multifunction switch

I'm back again

2007 Touring 2.4 non turbo auto

Since I bought the car in September 2016 the airbag light has stayed on. Sometimes it takes up to 30 minutes after the car is started to come on, but most of the time it's instant. I tried messing with the wires under the seats but not sure if i missed one or if they're somewhere i didn't see.

Another issue that may or may not be related and also since i bought the car: My interior dimmer switch on the multi-function switch does absolutely nothing. It's the only thing on the multi that doesn't work. When i turn the headlights on, the interior lights dim and with the headlights still on, when i use only the right turn signal, the interior lights occasionally blink bright and back to dim.

I do not have foglights

Last edited by ShaggySparx; 29 Jan 2018 at 08:40 am.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 09:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Airbag light and multifunction switch

For the airbag light.
It would be best for you to go to a place that has an OBDII scanner WITH SRS (supplemental restraint system). Most OBDII scanners don't have SRS or ABS features added to them and those that do cost a couple hundred dollars.

The SRS scanner feature should tell you what the problem is whether it's a seatbelt sensor, one of the weight sensors in the seat or lead you to a plug to the various wiring harnesses under the seat. Best case is that one of the plugs simply got loose and needs to be reseated (don't just randomly unplug and plug the harnesses since that can set off an airbag).

MF dimmer switch is likely unrelated. If you can't live without the dimmer, a new Gen2 switch without fog lights is $71 (Rock Auto) and takes about 15 minutes to replace. The stem snapped on ours and I paid a $20 premium for one locally (Autozone). I showed my son what to do using Youtube videos and talked him through it. That's why it took so long, if I did it myself it would have been 5 minutes.

Note: the Gen2 switch assembly is just a quarter crescent. The Gen1 assemblies are a 1/2 crescent and go all the way over the top of the steering column, don't get the wrong assembly.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 05:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Airbag light and multifunction switch

Check the grounds on the left and right under hood inner fenders especially if you drive in a road salt area. A lot of stuff ends up there, even the fuel pump ground and lifted ground will cause all sorts of odd problems. Also the under hood fuse box TIPM is what controls many functions. ( Totally Integrated Power Module ) There could be an issue here, is the cover still there and does it look like brake fluid was spilled into the TIPM?

On 06 + cars, the multi function switch sends an electronic message to the TIPM so you won't find individual wires for each function. On my 06 I reterminated all the under hood grounds due to a check engine light, no ground at OBD connector then loss of fuel pump operation. The previous owner had jumpers on the headlight, turn signal , horn. Once I fixed the grounds, there were tons of trouble codes that needed cleared including air bag.

Have a look at this ground thread from another person, it has pics. My other threads don't have pics. The pic with the guy holding a terminal and 10 or so black wires hanging out was taken from the passenger side of car facing front of car. The RF fender is off making is somewhat difficult to orient the picture. The fenders do not need to come off, these are accessible from under hood.

Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error