Advertisements
Cost to re-key

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2018, 04:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Cost to re-key

Afternoon!

My '02 has only one original key and 2 copies. The original is starting to wear down however, and sometimes when I drive, the key will slip out just a tiny bit. Engine stays running, but the lights on the radio sometimes go off.

Is there any way to deal with this, save for getting the ignition re-keyed? None of the copies I've had made work very well, they have the same issues.

It had remote entry from the factory, but they key fobs were lost years ago by a previous owner. Anyone know what it would cost to replace them?

Thanks!
Old 01 Feb 2018, 04:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cost to re-key

Are you looking for the cost to re-key the ignition or a new keyfob, Didn't seem very clear.

A keyfob is about $85 at Canadian Tire here in Canada, but won't be the OEM key style, One from the stealership might be a few hundred bucks, You can get replacement keyfobs from Ebay and get them cut and coded by a locksmith for much cheaper

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Car-Key-F....c100706.m4781

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement....c100705.m4780

as for rekeying the ignition I have no clue

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 01 Feb 2018, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

To save yourself an expensive trip to the dealer, you can replace the RKE (remote keyless entry) module with one from another car that has an already mated remote. Neither the module or remotes are VIN coded to the car, so it makes for an easy, hassle free, swap.

I have a module with a couple of mated remotes for sale if you are interested. Just send me a private message and we can go from there.

Replacement keys are a bit more of a hassle. You can find quality chip key blanks on ebay. I have had great luck with the Strattec brand. They appear to be very high quality and sell for around $10-20 depending on the seller. Then you need to take these keys to either the dealer, to get programmed to your car, or a locksmith that can do it. This ebay key and locksmith combo will be much less than what the dealer charges I believe...but its always good to ask around first.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 05:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
One from the stealership might be a few hundred bucks
That's an offensive term. If you feel that you can offer better pricing, when will you be opening up a dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
To save yourself an expensive trip to the dealer, you can replace the RKE (remote keyless entry) module with one from another car that has an already mated remote. Neither the module or remotes are VIN coded to the car, so it makes for an easy, hassle free, swap.
I don't know for sure but generally, a remote is resynced be clicking a pattern of buttons then inserting key and turning to run.

Just for completeness. 06+ cars have the key / module and engine computer all matched. You need a PIN number to add keys or two chip keys. If you still have the owners manuals, there is supposed to be a key tag / PIN in the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post

Replacement keys are a bit more of a hassle. You can find quality chip key blanks on ebay. I have had great luck with the Strattec brand. They appear to be very high quality and sell for around $10-20 depending on the seller. Then you need to take these keys to either the dealer, to get programmed to your car, or a locksmith that can do it. This ebay key and locksmith combo will be much less than what the dealer charges I believe...but its always good to ask around first.
Strattec is the new name for the key division of Briggs and Stratton ( The small engine people have made keys back into the 60's . ) They are OE for Chrysler and some other car makers.

On the key falling out, it is possible to get a new universal lock and wafer set then make it match your existing key so the doors match. You can also generate a key cut height list.

It is possible to get a key cut from the VIN or by measuring the existing key then use a key puncher not a copy machine. This way the depths are where they should be. With punched keys I tend to file the sharp points down a bit so the lock sees less wear.

I'm also surprised the radio is shutting off when key falls out.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 05:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Afternoon!

My '02 has only one original key and 2 copies. The original is starting to wear down however, and sometimes when I drive, the key will slip out just a tiny bit. Engine stays running, but the lights on the radio sometimes go off.
Thanks!
next time it happens, move the tilt steering wheel up and down. if the radio lights back up, your issue is a ground issue that is well documented here.

if moving the wheel doesn't make it light up, you can shim (or replace)the part i circled to be a hair longer, it'll very likely fix your issue.
Capture.JPG
$25 part, or free to shim
Old 01 Feb 2018, 07:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
I don't know for sure but generally, a remote is resynced be clicking a pattern of buttons then inserting key and turning to run.
That is true, but without one working remote, already mated to the RKE, then you have no way to enter the programming mode on the RKE, which would allow you to add a remote to the system. So to overcome this, you have very limited options. The cheaper way is to replace the module with one that does have a mated remote. With the one working remote, you can click the pattern of buttons which will allow you enter the programming mode and so enable you to program up to seven, I believe, additional remotes. The other, more expensive, way is to visit the dealer (or possibly a locksmith with a witech/drb3) to enter the programming mode on the existing remoteless RKE in order to program the unmated replacement remotes.

Quote:
Strattec is the new name for the key division of Briggs and Stratton ( The small engine people have made keys back into the 60's . ) They are OE for Chrysler and some other car makers.
Good to know. I guess that's why I found those Strattec keys to be of such great high quality. I totally recommend these over the overseas imports which often at of much poorer quality.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone!! I will look into all of these!
Old 01 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That's an offensive term. If you feel that you can offer better pricing, when will you be opening up a dealership?
How are you going to prove that the dealership has reasonable prices. I agree with the word stealership with their high prices and especially with their lousy customer service. They won't even give you the part numbers for the Pt Cruisers anymore at my location.
chromer don likes this.
Old 02 Feb 2018, 07:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
How are you going to prove that the dealership has reasonable prices.
"Reasonable pricing" is a relative term, an item may appear to be expensive only because someone is willing to make a lower quality part at lower cost.

Understand that new car sales don't bring in much profit so parts / service / used cars need to cover the high overhead. On the service side, much $ is invested in special tools and tech training, someone has to pay for all of this.

Also understand the dealer isn't getting parts for free, I've seen dealer cost Vs shop Vs retail pricing.

Quote:
I agree with the word stealership with their high prices and especially with their lousy customer service.

There are those with newer new cars that have $ and don't want hear " I can't fix that " from the local shop. And no, I don't own a dealership or have worked for one.

Customer service depends on the actual dealer.

If dealerships have such a lousy reputation, why are you not opening up one with great customer service and cut rate prices? Seems like a sure way to make $$.
Quote:
They won't even give you the part numbers for the Pt Cruisers anymore at my location.
And what were you going to do with these part numbers?
Old 04 Feb 2018, 09:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

06_PB6_TOURING,
Are you a dealer or work for a dealership? I don't find the term offensive any more than using the term "ambulance chaser" for injury lawyer or "drug pusher" for big $ pharma.

When:
1. I go in for an airbag safety recall and the service rep tells me I need rear disk pads and rotors for $499 plus front control arms and an alignment for $650.

2. I go in to get a warranty job for an AT solenoid and need a new cabin air filter, engine air filer and carburetor cleaning job for $300 on a 1 year old car.

I don't mind calling them "stealerships".

Yes, it's market driven but new car dealers don't have a gun pointed at their heads forcing them to do business that way just like car owners aren't forced to go to them to get work done for their cars.

Macgyverman1123,
You do have the right to go to the "stealership" with your car registration and photo ID to request the PIN code and key code for your car. They will log into the database located in Florida to get a printout of the PIN and key code. You can then call around for a locksmith who will cut the keys and program the car to work with the fob. If he has the right equipment, he will cut the key according to the factory contour and not simply "duplicate" your old key with the worn out ridges. I'll bet a new key with crisp edges will have a better chance of staying in your steering column.

I bought 2 complete keys with electronics for $18.78 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I bought 2 for $26 a couple of years ago.

The locksmith that told me what to do with the PIN and key code cut 4 keys and programmed 3 for $75. He erased the module so that any older keys programmed for it will no longer work (the only keys that would run the car were the ones I had). Other places would have cost a bit over $100. The stealership cost was north of $200 for one key.