PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water on floors on front passenger side!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2018, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Water on floors on front passenger side!

So we had some rain today, and I came out to my car to find the floor soaked and a small puddle of water. Trying to figure out where it could be coming from. Here is a picture of what I'm looking at...It just started to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1955.jpg (88.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 04 Feb 2018, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Water on floors on front passenger side!

Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drains could be clogged. If not, then check your cowl for debris buildup. If the cowl is clean, then you MIGHT have a leak around the windshield. And lastly, did you leave a window open a crack?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Feb 2018, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the drains could be clogged. If not, then check your cowl for debris buildup. If the cowl is clean, then you MIGHT have a leak around the windshield. And lastly, did you leave a window open a crack?

I do have a sunroof. I just had my car worked on (solenoid pack was leaking ) I noticed I had a small leak before, had them see if the drains are clogged...not sure if they checked the sunroof ones. As for the cowl, I'm not sure where the debris would have to be to cause the leak?
I sure wish I left a window cracked open instead LOL
Old 04 Feb 2018, 03:11 pm
Banned

That's a lot of water

Once you get the area dried out, you may have to try to reduplicate where it's coming from.

You can try with a garden hose on a light stream (not full blast) and tape it in place it on the roof letting the water come down slowly around areas (like the windshield seal, door crack, etc.) while you sit inside the vehicle with a flashlight looking for where it's coming inside the vehicle. Leave the hose in one place before you move it as it could take a long time for the water to migrate to where you actually see it. Also, the water may come in one place but migrate a long ways before you do actually see it, so just because you see it in one place, it may be coming into the vehicle from someplace else a long ways away from where you see it (I hope that last sentence makes sense).
devindinapoli likes this.
Old 04 Feb 2018, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's a lot of water

Once you get the area dried out, you may have to try to reduplicate where it's coming from.

You can try with a garden hose on a light stream (not full blast) and tape it in place it on the roof letting the water come down slowly around areas (like the windshield seal, door crack, etc.) while you sit inside the vehicle with a flashlight looking for where it's coming inside the vehicle. Leave the hose in one place before you move it as it could take a long time for the water to migrate to where you actually see it. Also, the water may come in one place but migrate a long ways before you do actually see it, so just because you see it in one place, it may be coming into the vehicle from someplace else a long ways away from where you see it (I hope that last sentence makes sense).
Yeah we had some heavy rain this morning...
There's a lot more on the back floorboard on the passenger side...but I'm thinking it's coming from the front, mostly because of the drips of water on the plastic there. I'll have to give that a try, though. I just need to get it fixed ASAP...we have a lot of rain coming this next week.
Old 04 Feb 2018, 03:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

There are 2 drains in each sunroof rail.
To eliminate the sunroof as a cause tape the roof area where the glass meets the roof and let it pour.
I'm not sure where the water is drained to for the sunroof to see it going to the ground.

It may come out the rocker panel openings as my 06 had rust inside the rocker where I thought
water could not get to on the side panel frame of the door opening which could only be seen after
I cut out the rust on the rocker under the rear passenger doors.
devindinapoli likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 04 Feb 2018, 04:00 pm
Banned

Old 04 Feb 2018, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have a sun roof?

If so the drain hose is most likely your source of water. Easy to check

1. Open the sun roof.
2. Pour water in the drain chanel.
3. See where it drains.
4. If it does not show up on the ground under the vehicle--See if the water is pouring onto the floor.
JoeX and devindinapoli like this.
Old 04 Feb 2018, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the recommendations and help everyone! I'll give an update tomorrow. As for now, it's time for the shop vac (and some much needed football)!
Old 04 Feb 2018, 06:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

You said :

Quote:
I sure wish I left a window cracked open instead LOL
"Instead of" what?

The sun roof has a seal mostly for wind noise but it does keep the bulk of water out. The 4 drains in the SR track take care of water that makes it's way past the wind seal.

For cars in general, these drains are usually 1/2 to 5/8" diameter. If you had the sunroof open a bit or back popped up for vent, they might have been over run with water. Even with clear drains, leaving the SR open will let wind blow water into the car.

You really should remove the seats / rug and let things dry out. This car is now a fresh water flood car, turn it in to your insurance and they will likely total it.

The rug has a plastic backing, while the fuzzy side might appear to have dried, the floor and sound deadening felt on the back will remain soaked for a very long time. Mold may even develop at some point.

Tags
leak