PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Small oil leak (Oil light goes on and off)

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2018, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Small oil leak (Oil light goes on and off)

So, I have a small oil leak, it seems. And whenever I'm driving, I don't get my oil light. HOWEVER, when I come to a stop, or low RPM, it goes on (only in drive and reverse, not in park.) When I accelerate it goes away. Any ideas? Oil pressure switch, maybe?
Old 05 Feb 2018, 04:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Small oil leak (Oil light goes on and off)

Oil pressure switch is most likely. I just did mine a few months ago. You will likely see it leaking by the lower back of the driver's side. Hardest part of the job is undoing the electrical clip without breaking it. Hard to see, but easy to do. If you're in a rust belt/salt state wear your protective goggles. Rust in my eye and slightly busted knuckles and the job was done in 15 minutes for about $16 IIRC.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Oil pressure switch is most likely. I just did mine a few months ago. You will likely see it leaking by the lower back of the driver's side. Hardest part of the job is undoing the electrical clip without breaking it. Hard to see, but easy to do. If you're in a rust belt/salt state wear your protective goggles. Rust in my eye and slightly busted knuckles and the job was done in 15 minutes for about $16 IIRC.
Yeah, that's what it's looking like. I'll take a look around. Thank you!
Old 05 Feb 2018, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick question though. How much oil would leak as a result of a bad oil pressure switch?
Old 05 Feb 2018, 05:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindinapoli View Post
Just a quick question though. How much oil would leak as a result of a bad oil pressure switch?
I don't remember it having much difference in my oil level. I drove my car back forth DC-NY twice before doing it and it was certainly less than 1/2 quart and I have other leaks. It was probably considerably less than that - when the light was coming on, I was religious about checking the oil level and it was never low and I don't think I ever put any in. Not sure, but I think it is more that it runs up the wire and shorts the switch.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 06:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So, I have a small oil leak, it seems.
Are you seeing oil on the ground or are you relating oil light on = external leak?

Quote:
And whenever I'm driving, I don't get my oil light. HOWEVER, when I come to a stop, or low RPM, it goes on (only in drive and reverse, not in park.) When I accelerate it goes away. Any ideas? Oil pressure switch, maybe?
Put a pressure gauge on the engine and read actual pressure. Min spec is 4 PSI at idle and 25 - 80 PSI at 3,000 RPM .

I have seen oil pressure senders go off scale by the switch side filling with oil restricting the diaphragm from moving. One side of the diaphragm sees oil pressure and the other atmospheric in normal operation.

If the pressure is in spec, change the sender. If out of spec, there is an oiling system problem such as a clogged / loose pickup screen , oil pressure regulator stuck / broken spring or worn engine engine parts with too much clearance. Usually the rest of the engine wears to the point of failure before the actual oil pump gears do.
Old 05 Feb 2018, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Are you seeing oil on the ground or are you relating oil light on = external leak?

Put a pressure gauge on the engine and read actual pressure. Min spec is 4 PSI at idle and 25 - 80 PSI at 3,000 RPM .

I have seen oil pressure senders go off scale by the switch side filling with oil restricting the diaphragm from moving. One side of the diaphragm sees oil pressure and the other atmospheric in normal operation.

If the pressure is in spec, change the sender. If out of spec, there is an oiling system problem such as a clogged / loose pickup screen , oil pressure regulator stuck / broken spring or worn engine engine parts with too much clearance. Usually the rest of the engine wears to the point of failure before the actual oil pump gears do.

There is some on the ground, yes. I have yet to go look at everything.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
What is the secret to taking the electrical connector off? Canít really see it and mostly by feel. I can feel what feels like a lock on the bottom of the connector but when depressed, it doesnít seem to unlock the connector. Is there a secondary lock on this connector like some others on this car? Did you remove it from above or below?
Old 06 Mar 2018, 11:14 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoman View Post
What is the secret to taking the electrical connector off? Canít really see it and mostly by feel. I can feel what feels like a lock on the bottom of the connector but when depressed, it doesnít seem to unlock the connector. Is there a secondary lock on this connector like some others on this car? Did you remove it from above or below?
I just did this on mine a couple weeks ago. IIRC the lock slides sideways, then squeeze the tab and pull straight out. I found the easiest way to get to mine, a non turbo, was remove the air cleaner, unbolt and move the fuse/relay box out of the way (it won't move far, but enough), I had plenty of room that way. Buy or borrow a 1 1/16" deep socket, Advance Auto sells the specially designed one for oil pressure switches for about $12 near me.. Hope all goes well!
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi, died March 2019 143K mi, engine replaced with 2004 w/ 71K in October 2019. Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 196k mi (now her daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
Old 06 Mar 2018, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advise. It worked great.
Goonior likes this.