• 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By Goonior
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2018, 08:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Advise for good PT Cruiser ignition switch & ignition key health

My apologies to SOOO BIG. I finally remembered the good advise a locksmith friend of mine gave me that I'd completely forgotten.

"Keep the weight stress on your ignition switch to a minimum to prevent the degrading of the pins in the locking portion of the switch." He told me he's done ignition switch repair by replacing the pins on more switches than he can count. "Those switchs could have been prevented from jamming by keeping that excess hanging weight off the switch".

I was guilty of the "good ol' boy look" of hanging my keys conveniently on a key carabiner on a belt loop. My excuse was that it was handy and I never lost them.

Remembering my friend's good advise this morning I made myself a promise to never put that excess weight stress on SOOO BIG's ignition switch again.

Chrysler's key design for the 2005 PT Cruiser was the ignition key and the access remote. Nothing more! They'll be carried in my pocket from now on. That'll be all that goes to SOOO BIG's ignition switch. I guess the other keys'll be in my pocket too. There's goes my "good ol' boy" look.

Happy PTin', ptprice

"Good ol' boy look"SSPX0023 (480x640).jpg

Excessive hang weight on SOOO BIG's ignition switchSSPX0024 (480x640).jpg

What Chrysler intendedSSPX0025 (480x640).jpg

VAROOM!!!SSPX0028 (480x640).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 Feb 2018 at 10:20 am.
Old 06 Feb 2018, 09:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Advise for good PT Cruiser ignition switch & ignition key health

lmao.. then there's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342
when i got my PT i purposely yanked the key out with the car running. now i can let it warm up in winter without leaving the key in the car.

the PT will still lock. i can't turn mine with a screwdriver.
ptprice and rsrocket1 like this.
Old 06 Feb 2018, 11:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Too much weight on the ignition switch may also be the cause of the "all idiot lights blink and gauges sweep" syndrome. I read through 7 pages of that this morning.
ptprice and dougs like this.
Old 07 Feb 2018, 07:36 am
Young Cruiser

My solution was this.
I can start it up, remove the remote, then lock the doors. I've been doing it this way for years starting with my 96 LHS...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1978[1].jpg (85.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1979[1].jpg (85.0 KB, 16 views)
03TXPTGT likes this.
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi, died March 2019 143K mi, engine replaced with 2004 w/ 71K in October 2019. Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 196k mi (now her daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Goonior; 07 Feb 2018 at 08:12 am.
Old 07 Feb 2018, 07:58 am
Banned

On the Gen2 Chrysler then eliminated the extra weight of the remote by combining it with the key, so there is nothing "dangling" down putting any undue stress on the lock cylinder

Old 07 Feb 2018, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

I don't know if anyone has had this problem, I was carrying my key and fob in my pocket and was replacing the batteries every couple of months. I would go to get in the Cruiser at home at times and the doors would be randomly locked. I don't normally lock it unless I am out at places like Lowes or WalMart. Apparently when in my pocket, the buttons are being depressed because of pressure from the other keys or pens I carry daily. I stopped carrying the fob because I got tired of spending close to $10 a pair for batteries.

Things that make you go HMM.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 08 Feb 2018, 07:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

On the Gen2 fobs, these are plain CR2032 coin cell batteries. You can get 5 for $3 through Amazon or 10 for $5. If you don't want to pay shipping, go through ebay, you can get 20 for $13 shipped. But that's a little overkill.

But I agree with you, you shouldn't carry the keys in your pockets, the buttons do tend to get accidentally pressed.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 08 Feb 2018, 08:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

This is just a little of topic, but I've found you can increase the range of your PT remote by clicking it while holding the remote just in front of your chin in your open mouth. Don't knock it till you've tried it. It's been suggested that it has something to do with the oral cavity and the fluids in your skull doing some kind of wizardry to increase the range of the remote. It's not just our PT remotes. I've been doing it for years with all kinds of cars. Wiser PTers than me can probably explain this. Perhaps it need it's own thread.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 08 Feb 2018 at 10:39 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2018, 09:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
This is just a little of topic, but I've found you can increase the range of your PT remote by clicking it while holding the remote just in front of your chin in your open mouth. Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Have you been watching La La Land?
ptprice likes this.
Old 09 Feb 2018, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Too much weight on the ignition switch may also be the cause of the "all idiot lights blink and gauges sweep" syndrome. I read through 7 pages of that this morning.
This happened to me on the black one!
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.