PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine running super fumey (smelling unburnt gas)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By brian2002utd
  • 2 Post By brian2002utd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2018, 01:02 am
Young Cruiser

Default Engine running super fumey (smelling unburnt gas)

Ok I've got a mystery here. I bought a 2005 PT Turbo Conv a few months ago. All was good for awhile untill I started getting fumes in the cabin. Had it smoke tested and took it to a muffler shop to fix the leaks. The fumes smell like unburnt gasoline and come from all around the car while running and if I turn on the vents w/o recirculation its an intense smell of what smells like gas fumes to me. Sometimes also I can smell gas in the garage when it hasnt been driven for awhile. Any ideas?
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Engine running super fumey (smelling unburnt gas)

A fuel line that's cracked and only leaks under pressure? Have you checked the fuel pump pressure to see if it holds? 58 is the recommended, I THINK.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 09:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you follow the fuel line back from where it meets the fuel rail, there is a small metal canister the size of an acorn on the firewall that is prone to leaking. I would check that first.

Cycle the key from off to run a few times, then have a look.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your Pt Cruiser might have a short plastic fuel line coming from main gas line connecting to the fuel rail at the fire wall that is leaking. This gas leak will let gas fumes enter the cabin when you turn on the A/C or heater.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2002utd View Post
Ok I've got a mystery here. I bought a 2005 PT Turbo Conv a few months ago. All was good for awhile untill I started getting fumes in the cabin. Had it smoke tested and took it to a muffler shop to fix the leaks. The fumes smell like unburnt gasoline and come from all around the car while running and if I turn on the vents w/o recirculation its an intense smell of what smells like gas fumes to me. Sometimes also I can smell gas in the garage when it hasnt been driven for awhile. Any ideas?
The fuel line that goes from the firewall the injector rail can get really crispy on a turbo PT. If this is you issue, here's a link to a way to make something more beefy. It doesn't meet racing specs. But if you plan to go race, get something else besides a PT Cruiser.

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

My problem was similar to yours but less severe. It actually turned out to be a crack in the weld on the injector rail. Here's link to how I fixed it:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Feb 2018 at 01:16 pm.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:13 am
Young Cruiser

Wow thanks for the detailed info everyone! I will check it out as soon as work lets me have a day off! Hopefully it will be a simple repair. Love the expertise in this forum!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 09:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I changed the line in question immediately after buying my 06 NA with 162 K. There is a non turbo car in the self serve scrap yard that had a fire on the passenger firewall area that sure looks like it started at that line.

There was also a non turbo car with 30 k ish miles at a salvage auction that had a passenger side fire as well. ( didn't get a close look at that one )

The factory line is about $ 50 and includes the pulsation damper. Or it might be a low cracking pressure check valve, I haven't tested yet. This check valve would stop fuel flow in the event of a crash that broke the fuel rail and tank was under pressure / elevated above the failed line.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 12:46 am
Young Cruiser

Mystery solved! After cycling the fuel pump several times and not smelling anything in the engine compartment and scratching my head I noticed that the air box lid wasnt latched. After latching it the smell went away, after scratching my head some more I realized that the PCV hose on the turbo vents to the airbox and not to the intake like the N.A. PT. I need to replace that hose also because it is cut too short to make a solid connection at both ends so off to Pep Boys tomorrow for some 3/8" fuel line to cut to the correct length. Its funny I have been all over this car trying to identify the issue and doing so much reseach online and it was all because I didnt secure the guides before I latched the air box after changing the filter!! We all have our learning moments!!
chuzz and Azrak like this.