Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Possible issue while stopping/idling.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2018, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Possible issue while stopping/idling.

So, may have some issue with my 2008 PT LX. I started the car up, all was good (minus a tpm sensor warning that goes off when i drive 500ft) and i drive about 1.5-2 miles down the road and stop at a traffic light and my engine rpm dropped to 4-500rpm and idled rough. (Engine about halfway warmed up) and after driving again all seemed fine. I stopped down the road a bit (another 1/4 mile) and the idle was still rough at 5-550rpm and i got out, listened to the exhaust and didnt sound like it was misfiring. I then opened the hood, checked most of the levels, all seemed okay and by that time all seemed normal again. Engine temp was at 175f at this time. I continued my trip to my sisters house and it did not happen again. Plugged in obd monitor after i checked everything and drove with it on, didnt see anything out of the norm from what i know and seen before and no codes came up.

Side notes- I filled up my tank last night. When the pump stopped it was at $30.17 and i continued to pump gas until $30.25. Not too much more. And after that i drove 1/4 mile to my house. Engine was at normal temp at this time. No issues.

My thoughts....idle valve? Catylic converter going bad/clogging? Master airflow sensor or some other sensor?

Anyone have any thoughts as to what could have caused this or may be failing or is this just because of cold weather or something?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Possible issue while stopping/idling.

Did your idling issues start after you topped off the gas tank?

Either way I would recommend not topping off the gas tank. I usually try to fill it to between 3/4 and full.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Feb 2018 at 03:27 pm.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 03:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is the first time it ever happened at all.

I just added the filling up the tank cuz the more info i give maybe the more it can help. I never add a lot of gas after it stops. Round off to next quarter like i did but a lot of people if it comes to like 30 cents they add more gas till it reaches the next dollar which i heard is bad to do.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There has been members that have had the valve fail in the gas tank allowing fuel instead of fuel vapors to go into the canister. See if you have raw fuel coming out of the hose going to the purge valve.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chryslers will purge the vapors when ever, they have no set time. If you are "packing the fuel tank" you most likely had raw fuel in the canister. It will cause the car to idle rough when it purges the canister. There are also times when you are sitting at a red light and the idle will drop a small amount and then come right back up. That is normal cause it just decided to purge at that time. If you put to much gas in by packing the tank, it may take awhile to correct itself. When the gas pump clicks off, Stop. Or, as already suggested, don't fill the tank all the way.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 04:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

I recall now that when i first bought the pt, and i filled it for the first time and a few times over the time i owned it, after filling it up, i noticed thar the engine while accelerating would drop in rpm like from 1900rpm down to 1300rpm and go right back normal. Usually right after filling it.

Also now when i fill it, i can no longer squeeze the gas nozzle all the way to fill it. If i do it cuts off after 3 or so seco ds like the tank is full. To fill it i have to have half of the nozzle out of the gas hole and tilt it sideways to get it to fill normally at half pressure. Any more and it will stop filling like the tanks full.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 04:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oldthom, thats the thing. When my rpms dropped this afternoon, they dropped to 4-500 and raised up to 600rpm. Normal idle on mine in Drive is between 750-800rpm. When at the traffic light it seemed like the engine was sluggish like i was in my final gear at 30mph and flooring it. If that makes sense or if you can picture that.

What you say makes sense but 13 cents more at a pump i dont think is enough gas to go into the canisiter. Imo. I may be wrong and probably am but thats my opinion. Now if the pump stopped at 30.17 and i added more gas until it reached 31 dollars the i can see excess gas going into the canister. Idk. When i drive home later i will pay attention and try to document anything if it happens.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 04:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Any chance that your throttle body is dirty enough to cause this?? If you haven't cleaned it in a while you might take a look at that. Don't forget to disconnect the battery while you are doing it.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 04:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

My 04 dosent have an EGR but your 08 might. If so, that is another place to look. You can clean that and check the air passages on the case to make sure they are clean. We could go on and on with what it might be when just disconnecting the battery may fix it.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
I recall now that when i first bought the pt, and i filled it for the first time and a few times over the time i owned it, after filling it up, i noticed thar the engine while accelerating would drop in rpm like from 1900rpm down to 1300rpm and go right back normal. Usually right after filling it.

Also now when i fill it, i can no longer squeeze the gas nozzle all the way to fill it. If i do it cuts off after 3 or so seco ds like the tank is full. To fill it i have to have half of the nozzle out of the gas hole and tilt it sideways to get it to fill normally at half pressure. Any more and it will stop filling like the tanks full.
I am suggesting that you have a check valve or a ball issue that is restricting fuel from getting into the gas tank and when the fuel is backing up it is being forced into the canister through the gas vapor hose. When it purges the canister it forces raw gas back into the engine and causes the engine to run rich and have a rough idle. I would suggest checking this out before checking elsewhere.