Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing spark plugs yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2012, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Changing spark plugs yourself

I need to change my spark plug to see if it is the cause for a cylinder 2 misfire, and tried the two above sites for instruction, one is no longer working and the other have to pay for which I would rather not do. Is there another guide that is free?
Old 24 Oct 2012, 03:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

See if this helps. It is for a 2006 but I think they are all the same. This is for a non turbo engine. You didn't say what you are working on or the year. The second link is for previous years non turbo.

2006-Up Pt Cruiser Spark Plug Removal.

Spark Plug Guide

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 24 Oct 2012 at 03:19 pm.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oops sorry it's a 2002 not turbo, thanks for the help! I think the second one is my best bet. Hopefully this is the cause of the misfire.
Old 24 Oct 2012, 08:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Try changing out the #2 wire first. The wires seem to be the cause of a mulitude of misfire sins.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Ray,

Do you know of any spark plug and wire change guides for the turbos? I've got a 2006.

Would also like opinions on the NGK 7 mm wires compared to MSD 8.5 mm wires. Also, just ordered the GForce performance chip to hopefully get better gas economy. I live in Northern Canada and get 18 to 19 mpg hwy/city mixed. Anybody?

Thanx

Last edited by anglii; 26 Feb 2013 at 04:48 pm.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 04:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

hope you can cancel that gforce chip. waste of money. i'm sure many of the people here will tell you the same.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglii View Post
Hey Ray,

Do you know of any spark plug and wire change guides for the turbos? I've got a 2006.

Would also like opinions on the NGK 7 mm wires compared to MSD 8.5 mm wires. Also, just ordered the GForce performance chip to hopefully get better gas economy. I live in Northern Canada and get 18 to 19 mpg hwy/city mixed. Anybody?

Thanx
I think the best wires are Crane Firewires - just search for them.
Get a swivel plug socket and you can get the plugs out by only taking off the plastic intake cover - the one with the TURBO wording....I've done it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Feb 2013, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks quicksilverdon,

Unfortunately, the Crane Firewires aren't available up here. My options are the NGK 7 mm or the MSD 8.5 mm so need to know which set of the two I should get with the NGK iridium plugs. Now I'm not even sure if iridium plugs are good for turbos. So many different opinions. Some sites say the iridium plugs are for non-turbos only some say they're ok for turbos. I'm so confused!

I would love to get the Granatelli mpg/plus gas saving wire sets but they don't seem to make them for my car - they're guaranteed to improve gas mileage by 15% and have 0-ohms resistance compared the Cranes which have 25-ohms
Old 27 Feb 2013, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Iridiums are fine for turbos - just be very careful gapping as the center is fragile - it's platinum that shouldn't go in turbos.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Feb 2013, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglii View Post
Thanks quicksilverdon,

Unfortunately, the Crane Firewires aren't available up here. My options are the NGK 7 mm or the MSD 8.5 mm so need to know which set of the two I should get with the NGK iridium plugs. Now I'm not even sure if iridium plugs are good for turbos. So many different opinions. Some sites say the iridium plugs are for non-turbos only some say they're ok for turbos. I'm so confused!

I would love to get the Granatelli mpg/plus gas saving wire sets but they don't seem to make them for my car - they're guaranteed to improve gas mileage by 15% and have 0-ohms resistance compared the Cranes which have 25-ohms

As and certified ASE Master Technician I recommend getting a single ground spark plug (Champion or NGK) that is on sale and change them at least once a year or about 18,000 miles. Gap recommendations is .035-.040

The spark plug wire choice is a personal game GAME with many !!! The wires are only 4 inches long so most everything works fine.

I like the MSD wires myself.