• 1 Post By rockandroller
  • 3 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By ptprice
  • 4 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2018, 09:38 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default SOOO BIG's back up camera

SOOO BIG's had a back up camera for quite a while now without a glitch. It still works as good as the day I installed it. That original $29.99 kit included the back up camera with license plate mount, 7" X 4" monitor, dash mount that I modified to swivel and fold, wiring, cables, fittings and easy to follow instruction.

Below are a few photos of the installation.

The new wireless kits are easier to install and as reasonably priced. I've found a few wireless kits on Ebay and Walmart for under $40.00. See add below. Notice the dash top tray mount with the raise/lower feature on the monitor.

The wireless kits have sending and receiving units with the camera and monitor instead of the 20 feet of wires and cables that came with the older style.

How 'bout posting photos of your PT back up camera install.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1065 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0023 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2030 (640x480).jpg

37779-albums970-picture6121t.jpg

37779-albums970-picture6119t.jpg

37779-albums970-picture6116t.jpg

37779-albums970-picture6114t.jpg

37779-albums970-picture6113t.jpg

IMG_20180224_0002.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 Feb 2018 at 06:44 pm.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 07:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: SOOO BIG's back up camera

I'd posted this thread in response to a PM I'd received earlier this week about , "Does the license plate light bright out the back up camera at night"? "No it doesn't".

In fact I find a back up camera and monitor most useful for parking when backing into a space. Day or night, rain, ice, snow or shine. I have a true visual of knowing just when to stop. I appreciate the additional safety of seeing exactly what's behind the car that is normally in a blind spot, and for $29.99, dollar for dollar, it's one of the best things I've ever installed on SOOO BIG.

It was my intent to explain that the older unit I have, although still quite useful and serviceable, has been much improved with the state of the art wireless units now available at very reasonable cost.

I hope other PTers take the insight to outfit their PTs with these now,"easy to install", wireless back up camera kits.

If you already have a back up camera kit on your PT, please post a photo or two of the installation. If you put one, on please post photos of the installation.

Take this safety heads up from a PTer who nearly aced his Florida three year mature safe driver's course with a 94% Being terribly right brained, I always have a little trouble with ambiguity in written tests. I've been taking similar ones now for the past twenty years. Just as three year safety refreshers. I never get any tickets, I just think it's a smart thing to do. Ya get a little insurance premium discount with it too. When this mature drivers test popped up this year for $15.00, little did I know it was a lot more detailed than the generic ones I've seen in the past.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 25 Feb 2018 at 08:50 pm.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 02:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I "started" installing mine (wireless, connected to my in-dash radio display) about three years ago. Just stopped short of the part where I had to crawl under the back bumper and solder the camera power-up line into the back-up light harness. One of these days, when the weather improves...
ptprice likes this.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:24 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I "started" installing mine (wireless, connected to my in-dash radio display) about three years ago. Just stopped short of the part where I had to crawl under the back bumper and solder the camera power-up line into the back-up light harness. One of these days, when the weather improves...
You shouldn't have to crawl under your PT, just remove one of the back up lights and the wiring will be easily accessible.

I had to tap into the back up light wiring for my brake light strip that I recently added to my PT.

Old 26 Feb 2018, 08:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Being a wireless installation your not going to have to go to the extent that I did on SOOO BIG of running wires to the interior and snaking them forward to the monitor.
Run the power wire for the back up camera up though the license plate light hole and worry it bit through till you can get a hold of it hangin' behind the bumper.
Take one of the back up light lenses off. I used the right one 'cause from there I had to continue snaking wires to the interior. I think the left one might be a little easier.
Guided a solid 12 gauge copper wire as pull wire between the foam behind the bumper cover and the metal bumper frame till you managed to slid it through in place to pull the wires from the back up camera through to the back up light. I securely, temporarily taped the back up camera wires to the pull guide wire. You'll have to stream line 'em to get it back through. I think I even put a little petroleum jelly on the connection to help slide it back through. Rick's photo shows the innards of the back up light.
You can do a solder connection of the wires. Or the standard pink clips. I invariable use heat shrink sheathing and crimped wire connectors. to each his own.

My alternative in connecting to the back up light was to cut the back up wires, stripped some insulation, slid some heat shrink insulation sheathing on the wires, crimped wire connectors securing the back up light wires to the back up camera wires, slid the shrink sheathing in place, heated it with a cigarette lighter till the connections were completely weather proof, second wrapped them with black electrical tape, tucked 'em back in place and reinstalled the back up light lens. It was kinda like micro surgery but a lot of fun. Good luck finishing you multi year back up camera project. Show us some photos.
Happy PTin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 27 Feb 2018 at 08:09 am.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 09:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's a look at SOOO BIG's back up camera's night view.
The red line is the guide line to help determine how far to back up without clunkin' into something.

Happy PTin', ptprice

SSPX0011 (640x480).jpg

SSPX0012 (640x480).jpg