PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
All hell (and maybe a serpentine belt) broke loose.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2018, 05:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation All hell (and maybe a serpentine belt) broke loose.

Well, tonight was an interesting night for me and Tina (My PTC).
I was on my way to work tonight when all of my gauges dropped to 0 and went dark. She still ran like normal but I had no idea how fast I was going. Not a huge deal but only the first of a few problems that popped up in my 2-mile commute. As I turned on to one of the main roads with a higher speed limit, I noticed something was off. She wouldn't shift outta 3rd! I was revving up to 4k just to keep the speed limit and she was growling when decelerating. I grumbled to myself but kept driving. Stopped to fill her up with some premium unleaded and she wouldn't turn over after. Got a jump start and got back on the road. As I was leaving, I lost power steering. I was able to wrestle the wheel and get to work on time but now I'm sitting here trying to figure this mess out. I'd assume the serpentine belt is bad considering the fact that my battery and power steering both went bad on the same trip. I've got a new belt and I'm sure I can figure out the install. Not a big deal. This transmission problem is really stumping me though. Could it be a vacuum leak? Is the tranny shot completely? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the thing? This is my daily driver for at least the next few weeks so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TLDR - Gauges all stopped working, battery died and tranny wont shift out of 3rd. HELP!
I love my car and Cruiser culture.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 07:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: All hell (and maybe a serpentine belt) broke loose.

Obviously the first thing to check are the drive belts. Odds are that your alternator belt broke and then got wrapped in the power steering belt and tossed it off. No belt on alternator, you're running off battery only. Doesn't take long for one to discharge when running lights and other accessories. After replacing the belts, you'll need to recharge the battery to a full 12.5 volts. As for the transmission not shifting, I THINK it may be related to the battery discharge. IDK, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Master Mechanic.
ptprice and rsrocket1 like this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.

Tags
alternator, power steering, repair, serpentine, transmission