PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rocker rust

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2018, 07:37 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default rocker rust

The LH rocker panel on my 10 yr old PT is rusting out. The rust starts at about the middle of the driver's door and extends nearly to the rear wheel well. Oddly enough, the passenger side rocker seems quite solid. Anyone else experience this or can guess why?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: rocker rust

My PT has driver's side rocker rust right under the passgener door. I've cut out all the rusted metal and patched the hole with sheet metal and primed and painted it. When I cut the rust out the rocker was full and full of sand somehow.

Given that I'm not a pro body guy the job isn't pretty, but it does the job and has held up for years. It's good enough of a job to pass state inspection every year, which is all I'm personally looking for. I wasn't looking to spend and arm and leg to have new rockers welded in.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 86k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes, Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:37 am
Cool Cruiser

And oddly enough, my passenger side rocker is solid as can be. Not a single trace of rust.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes, Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:38 am
Cool Cruiser

My 06 has the same issue, I ended up adding a patch over top but at some point I'll need to replace the whole side. Rock Auto sells replacement panels though most auto salvage yards sell the same stuff.

At the very front of the rocker behind the inner fender liner, there is a rectangularish plastic plate. It isn't sealed very well and water / salt will enter with no where to escape / get washed out.

I used DAP brand Dynaflex 230 caulking from the home center to seal this up. The DAP 230 is a very good sealer, it isn't silicone but stays flexable. It is sold in clear / white / gray / brown / black and maybe another color or two.

Pull the step sills then remove the white plastic rectangles. You will be able to see inside the rocker. There is an inner layer , some structure then the outer layer.

I dumped Locktite Extend rust converter through the step sill holes then tilted the car in various directions to spread it around. Did this on both sides as the passenger side was starting to rust internally as well.

While we are on the subject, get under the car, wire brush all rusted areas then apply Extend then paint over with Rustoluem. This will go a long way in saving the car. Be sure to get inside boxed areas, rear bumper area , pull the tail lights and get in there too.

These cars are not sealed up very well so water will hide and cause rust.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
It's good enough of a job to pass state inspection every year, which is all I'm personally looking for. I wasn't looking to spend and arm and leg to have new rockers welded in.
Consider that the rocker is part of the unit body structure and if you are involved in a side impact, the rocker will fold up leading to passenger compartment intrusion.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 10:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Consider that the rocker is part of the unit body structure and if you are involved in a side impact, the rocker will fold up leading to passenger compartment intrusion.
Don't care either way. It passes inspection and is only a 2 inch patch.

Newest Car

#LoudLife

Old 27 Feb 2018, 01:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There are so many reasons rocker panels can start rusting. All it takes in our Great State is a crack or chip in the paint and then not getting it taken care of when it first starts.

Go down the the Midwest forum go into the PTCCofSEM and ask Paul, My02RedRide, when he's next going to 'pick and save' yard or I can tell you where to go to have pros do the work for a reasonable price.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 06:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post

At the very front of the rocker behind the inner fender liner, there is a rectangularish plastic plate. It isn't sealed very well and water / salt will enter with no where to escape / get washed out.

These cars are not sealed up very well so water will hide and cause rust.
Yup, been getting in there in the springtime and cleaning it out, amazing how much crap finds its way in behind there.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 06:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
And oddly enough, my passenger side rocker is solid as can be. Not a single trace of rust.
Sure is strange... the passenger side is still solid on mine.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 06:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
I can tell you where to go to have pros do the work for a reasonable price.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.