Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What if......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2018, 05:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Default What if......

Chrysler had used the Sebring chassis instead of the Neon?
It could have been V-6 powered (maybe?) and slightly bigger all the way around. Just something I thought about when I saw a Sebring the other day
Don't get me wrong I kinda like it this way, but what if?????
2004 N/A auto. Touring Edition (Died 2016 resurrected Nov 2017) bought for $100 Oct 2017 w/122k mi, died March 2019 143K mi, engine replaced with 2004 w/ 71K in October 2019. Added RBQ 6-disc changer w/Sirius. Replaced TB,WP, thermostat and gasket, front bearings w/one hub, ceramic pads w/new rotors, one brake caliper w/bracket, and lower control arm. More changes/repairs as the weather allows .
1999 300M 196k mi (now her daily driver)
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Goonior; 05 Mar 2018 at 09:47 pm.
Old 02 Mar 2018, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What if......

No advantage of the suspension. But the 6 banger would be a bit tight under the hood. Gas milage could have been no worse.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Mar 2018, 09:29 am
Cool Cruiser

The PT is a sort of but not really Neon. The floor pan is unique to PT and only a few front suspension parts are used from Neon.

There are 3 Sebrings, 2 is US built and the other Mitsubishi. I'm pretty sure the 2 door is Mitsu while the 4 door and convertible is US.

I could deal with a bit more cargo length.

I'm literally looking through the top 3 " of the windshield so more roof height would be good but the proportions would be out of wack.

These cars were built to a price ( about 15 K in 06 for a Touring ) and to push corporate average fuel economy. For what they are I like 'em though I think calling them a Chrysler is a bit of a stretch. The low line car should be branded Plymouth and the higher spec + turbo cars Dodge.
Old 04 Mar 2018, 04:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonior View Post
Chrysler had used the Sebring chassis instead of the Neon?
It could have been V-6 powered (maybe?) and slightly bigger all the way around. Just something I thought about the other day when I saw a Sebring the other day
Don't get me wrong I kinda like it this way, but what if?????
First, the PT chassis is pretty different than the Neon. Besides a completely different rear suspension, there's lots of engineering differences once you start looking closely.

Also, I had a Sebring Convertible before I bought my first PT. Even with the same 2.4L engine, the Sebring has a smoother ride and gets better fuel mileage. It's also roomier in the front and has much better seats. The PT is much prettier, sportier and is a more practical car. But the Sebring Convertible has it's points too. It should also be noted that from a chassis and drive train standpoint, the Sebring Convertible is really a Chrysler Cirrus Convertible and only shares a name with the Sebring hardtop coup. They are very different cars.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Mar 2018 at 04:17 am.
Old 04 Mar 2018, 08:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

When I see my neighbors Dodge Nitro I can imagine what you are hinting at.
Fuel consumption not much different according to the internet.

Yet - there is a character to the PT that the Nitro lacks.

The Nitro was on the Liberty platform. Missed the Jeep mystique as well.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 08:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK52 View Post

The Nitro was on the Liberty platform. Missed the Jeep mystique as well.
But it does tap into the " I want a wagony thing that is easy to get into and out of, not too high or large and can carry some cargo. "

That market does not care if front or rear drive, they also don't want a brittle ride that come along with a 32 leaf thick spring and 6 shocks per wheel or off road capability.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 09:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

WHAT IF. . .

They would have come out with the 1999 Dodge Charger concept, would you have bought a PT Cruiser?
Old 05 Mar 2018, 12:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
WHAT IF. . .

They would have come out with the 1999 Dodge Charger concept, would you have bought a PT Cruiser?
If the PT Cruiser hadn't come out, I wouldn't have bought anything new.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 05 Mar 2018, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
The PT is a sort of but not really Neon. The floor pan is unique to PT and only a few front suspension parts are used from Neon.

There are 3 Sebrings, 2 is US built and the other Mitsubishi. I'm pretty sure the 2 door is Mitsu while the 4 door and convertible is US.

I could deal with a bit more cargo length.

I'm literally looking through the top 3 " of the windshield so more roof height would be good but the proportions would be out of wack.

These cars were built to a price ( about 15 K in 06 for a Touring ) and to push corporate average fuel economy. For what they are I like 'em though I think calling them a Chrysler is a bit of a stretch. The low line car should be branded Plymouth and the higher spec + turbo cars Dodge.
I don't think this is correct. They didn't do anything with CAFE. They were branded as "trucks" (flat load floor) so they wouldn't damage Chrysler's automotive CAFE. As a light-truck, even if the PT were built on a Sebring platform, it still would have been a ringer which raised the LT CAFE significantly. Hell, a Chrysler 300 would probably have improved that.

They would have been branded Plymouth, but Plymouth was withdrawn by 2001. Thanks Mercedes. Would have fit in well with the Prowler. I don't think the branding makes as much difference since most dealerships are now "auto malls" which sell several makes. You just end up competing with yourself. That is why I could not understand Mercedes being so enamored with 5 doors. The PT, Caliber, Patriot and Compass all seem direct competitors. They were supposedly obsessed with the Toyota Matrix. Never made sense to me, the Corolla probably outsold it 10:1.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 06:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

An interview with a guy deeply involved with the PT at Chrysler.

https://www.allpar.com/history/inter...t-cruiser.html

Quote:
PT Cruiser was supposed to be the first of that whole series of products that we had planned for. Well, Tom Sidlik was godfather of Small Car. He liked it and Lutz wanted it, but we still couldn’t get it approved. Finally, Tom said. “Look, let me have a private session with Eaton.”

He went and he said: “They really believe in this thing. We don’t make money on small cars. This thing is not a lot of money - investment was $400 million I think - and it should be profitable. It’s classified as a truck so it’ll help our CAFE. Let them have a crack at it.
A bit on dropping Plymouth and other car lines. In the old days, each sub brand designated a single "car". Sure, there were options within the sub brand, but if you wanted a better " car" you have to move up market.

Now that so much formerly optional stuff is considered a must have even on a low line car, there isn't much need for many sub brands. Remember, Chrysler stopped building Desotos in the early 60's and Imperial in the 70's - 80's.

The progression was Plymouth , Dodge , Desoto , Chrysler , Imperial.

See an old parts logo
https://www.allpar.com/cars/mopar/index.php

GM dumped a bunch or brands, Ford dumped Mercury so this was nothing new. Sub brands seem to be a USA phenomenon, probably started by GM in the 20's.