PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The fall and rise of a Pt cruiser engine splash shield

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2018, 08:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default The fall and rise of a Pt cruiser engine splash shield

I thought it was gonna be another round of PT BIG BUCKS when SOOO BIG went WUMP WUMP, GURGLE GURGLE from the torn off strip of rubber that came off the alternator belt. And as secondary pestering happenstance it really put a bulge in the engine splash shield.

To remedy that I spent hours in the salvage yard yesterday, our first 90 degrees, trying to find a nice replacement.That buldge is hangin' low and bound to get caught on something. It's hanging much lower than the bottom of the front air dam. There wasn't a one good one to be found in the 20 some PT Cruisers in the yard. It was good exercise though. I was going to post a thread for suggestions on how to reheat and reshape this'n.

Well here's the good news and maybe something other PTers didn't know. It's available.

I didn't even really know what to call the darn thing but my internet search wording was close enough that I came up with a plethora of offerings, all between $25 and $30 including shipping . Made in Tiawan. A lot better than the dreaded made in China. So the search is over. the fix is in. I don't have to figure out how to breath a little life into this pregnant one. I'm just gonna order a new one. I thought I'd share some PT joy. Sometimes thing do work out.

With the serpentine and alternator belts coming in at $40.00, Grady didn't charge me for the installation labor, and to find a replacement engine splash shield for no more than $30.00 I can only say, Happy PTin', ptprice

SSPX0014 (640x480).jpg
pregnant shield

SSPX0026 (640x480).jpg
little less pregnant if I hold it up

The splash shield's available!!! New, in original size!
th.jpg

One request, Does anyone know what the plastic retaining pin is called, does it have a part number, is it available or will I be able to remove it w/o damaging it? If so, please give me a hint on how to.

Grady, the trusted mechanic who does the major work on SOOO BIG, now that I can't, has had this plastic pin out and in at least three times. That is unless their throw away, and easily available at any auto parts store for a pittance. Please advise. Thanks.

SSPX0016 (640x480).jpg
pin's good to go right now
rcktpwrd, Gkon and Carnut like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 02 Mar 2018, 09:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The fall and rise of a Pt cruiser engine splash shield

You should be able to find a good assortment of the plastic push pins at almost any auto parts store

ptprice and Gkon like this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 03 Mar 2018, 07:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
You should be able to find a good assortment of the a plastic push pin at almost any auto parts store

So that's all it is, a standard plastic push pin? That's a no brainer. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
rckstein and Gkon like this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 03 Mar 2018, 08:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
So that's all it is, a standard plastic push pin? That's a no brainer. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
Yeah, My PT cruiser was missing some when I did my timing belt, I got 5 for like $2.99 I remember when I bought them there is Chrysler ones, Ford ones, etc I guess there all slightly difference sizes. Just put them in the hole, put your thumb on them and just push it in. To remove it just grab a slot screwdriver and pry it off, You can reuse them, but there so cheap I'd just get new ones.
ptprice likes this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250

Last edited by ajhockey3; 03 Mar 2018 at 08:58 am.
Old 03 Mar 2018, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
Yeah, My PT cruiser was missing some when I did my timing belt, I got 5 for like $2.99 I remember when I bought them there is Chrysler ones, Ford ones, etc I guess there all slightly difference sizes. Just put them in the hole, put your thumb on them and just push it in. To remove it just grab a slot screwdriver and pry it off, You can reuse them, but there so cheap I'd just get new ones.
Your PT really looks cold. BUURRR. Does it ever warm up, up there? Happy PTin', ptprice
Old 03 Mar 2018, 10:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Wait a sec....PT's have an engine splash shield???

Guess mine was thrown away long before I took ownership
rckstein likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2018, 05:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Your PT really looks cold. BUURRR. Does it ever warm up, up there? Happy PTin', ptprice
Ill have to get an updated picture when the snow and salt goes away, My entire ownership of it has been in the winter

The heater in the PT cruiser actually works better then any other car I have ever been it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
Wait a sec....PT's have an engine splash shield???

Guess mine was thrown away long before I took ownership
Its not a huge one, its sits behind the fender on the passenger side, it just covers the serpentine belts, its a pain in the ass to get back in there right too, and the bolts on the top of it aren't easy to get in, but plastic pins are easy. a scrapyard probably wouldn't charge a ton for it, My local scrapyard probably wouldn't charge me anything.

Seeing how your profile says you live in California its certainly not going to do much with your weather

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 03 Mar 2018, 07:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

They're sometimes called "pine tree fasteners" and believe it or not "Christmas tree fasteners". They can be annoying, especially in cold weather, but they work. As said, buy them at the auto parts store, you just need the hole size.

That's a nice find on the splash shield.
ptprice likes this.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 07:11 am
Cool Cruiser

i ditched mine.. it was too much work to get it flatened back out enough to make it look right..
ptprice likes this.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 08:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtnos View Post
I ditched mine.. it was too much work to get it flattened back out enough to make it look right..
For what it's designed to do the engine splash shield has a necessity. It's an inner fender liner. It protects the "front" of the engine including the the serpentine belt and the units it drives and the alternator and belt from weather and road hazard. It's also a lower engine shield.

I'd rather scrape the shield than the engine oil pan. I think shelling out $25 to $30 bucks is a reasonable price for a new one. To me it makes sense. Maybe that's one of the reasons I got 89,000 miles out of the first set of belts. At the need for belt replacement it was only the alternator belt that tore up. The serpentine belt still looked good but for $16.99 to replace it too, why take the chance.

For all the right reasons I'll keep an engine splash shield on SOOO BIG. Even this bulging one right now. But SOOO BIG doesn't like his temporary "pregnant" look of his bulging engine splash shield. So I'll post a photo of SOOO BIG's new engine splash shield when installed.

Happy PTin', ptprice

SSPX0014 (640x480).jpg