• 3 Post By JonN
  • 4 Post By RickinPA
  • 1 Post By JonN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2018, 07:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default tone ring troubles

Just sharing today's experience.

Driving along I started to hear an intermittent high pitched squeal, not too loud, something like sheet metal rubbing. We had some nasty weather yesterday, I though it might be related to that. The noise became more persistent and the traction control started going on and off. After a bit, the "TRAC OFF" and "ABS" lights lit on the dash.

As soon as I got to a shopping center with a decent parking lot, I pulled in and removed the wheel associated with the squeaking. Didn't find anything, but at least it didn't look like the wheel was going to fall off. We made our way home.

Investigating it at home, I noticed the tone rings on the front wheels were spaced differently from their ABS sensors. After a bit of poking and prodding, I found the right front tone ring was loose on the CV half shaft cup. The tone ring rotated freely on the CV half shaft cup. It was cracked clean through in one of the valleys.

I'll remove the tone ring tomorrow and run without the ABS until I can fix it. I guess the half shaft has to be replaced, at least they aren't too expensive. I have some suspension work planned for the spring, struts, sway bar bushings, I'll add the half shaft to the list. Maybe I should do both half shafts? I'll think about it.

I wonder what made it crack? Maybe some corrosion growing under the tone ring? I'll ask my brother, the mechanic, at our Sunday morning get together for breakfast, tomorrow.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: tone ring troubles

May have been damaged in the manufacturing process. Not heard of any troubles with them since I joined here. So your guess is as good as any. Good job finding that. Odd occurrences can be hard to diagnose. I'd be fixing it if it was me. But as you said you can get these reasonable, so may as well do that. I wouldn't expect the same problem on the other side. Probably a fluk .

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2018, 09:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

My passenger side tone ring cracked 4 years ago. At the time I didn't really have the cash to fix it so I put it back together with JB weld as a temporary fix and put some around the ring so it stuck to the end of the axle.

Well, 4 years later I've never had a problem with it or the ABS, so I'll leave it. It appears my MacGyver job has worked lol.
rcktpwrd, rob302 and JDK52 like this.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 86k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes, Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 22 Apr 2018, 05:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Just a quick update. I decided to use JonN's thoughts and JB Weld the old tone ring in place. Hey, if it doesn't work I'm only out a few bucks for the JB Weld.

I cut the tone ring into 3 sections, so I could get it on the shaft without smearing off the epoxy. Then I wire wheeled the tone ring and scuffed the inside with some coarse sandpaper to give it a little tooth.

I had to wait for a warm day to re-install it. I ended up using a Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel (kind of like a Sotchbrite) to polish off all the crud where it mounts on the CV joint. They're very good at this, I recommend getting a couple of these to add to your stuff, see picture below:

Then I scuffed the surface with coarse sandpaper to give it tooth and cleaned everything with alcohol.

Mixed the JB Weld and applied it to the rear of the tone ring. Installed the tone ring on the CV joint and clamped in place with a large hose clamp. Let set for 24 hours and drove off.

The ABS and Traction Control warning lights went off in a very short distance of driving. It's been running fine for the last week, including an unplanned drive through some very very deep standing water.

Thanks JonN.
Old 22 Apr 2018, 09:55 am
Cool Cruiser

No problem! Hope yours holds up as well as mine has.
rob302 likes this.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 86k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes, Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters