PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newly discovered Rear Hatch Assist Hand Slot. Am I using it right?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2018, 09:34 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Newly discovered Rear Hatch Assist Hand Slot. Am I using it right?

Much to do about nothing. Am I using it right? Who knew. Just yesterday I discovered an assist hand slot in SOOO BIG's rear hatch. Well I realize Chrysler put it there for a reason so I tried using it to close the hatch.

Maybe, being new at it, I just haven't mastered the technique.

And to think I use to just grab the edge of the hatch, pull it down and push it shut. I might have got it all wrong but here's how I figger it works. For me, at least, until I'm shown a better way to use this assist hand slot, I think I'll just make believe it isn't there.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_20180306_082456.jpg
NEWLY DISCOVERED ASSIST HAND SLOT.

IMG_20180306_082345 (480x640).jpg
Activating the rear hatch latch. From this grip I just pull the hatch up to open. I can't figger if that assist hand slot is supposed to come into play at this stage.

IMG_20180306_082456 (480x640).jpg
THE ASSIST HAND SLOT.

IMG_20180306_082512 (480x640).jpg
My new hatch grasp technique.

IMG_20180306_082516 (480x640).jpg
Hatch about half way down. I still have to get my hand out a the slot and push the hatch the rest of the way down from the outside as I always have.

IMG_20180306_082528 (480x640).jpg
A gentle push to shut the hatch as I always have.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 07 Mar 2018 at 04:32 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 10:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Newly discovered Rear Hatch Assist Hand Slot. Am I using it right?

My parents had a Plymouth Voyager and dodge caravans when I was growing up. Using that thing is second nature. I just pull it down with the handle and when it's almost all the way down I push down on the Chrysler logo, latches right every time.If you don't push down on the logo area on its way down it will shut but not properly and you will get the trunk ajar light. I'm not a very tall person so I always use the handle. Just how I use it. Everyone probably uses it differently.
rckstein and ptprice like this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250

Last edited by ajhockey3; 06 Mar 2018 at 10:19 am.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That little slot is pretty useless. There's just no good way to use it without have to jerk your hand away at some point.

As far as closing the back hatch, I always treated it like the hood. I figure it's supposed to shut with a gentle swing and not pushed on. That always worked perfectly for me.
ptprice and thecabinguy like this.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 01:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I think it's more for the vertically challenged to help pull the hatch down so they can close it, Price. I NEVER used mine in the PT or any Mopar van I've owned. They all have that too.
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 05:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Newly discovered Rear Hatch Assist Hand Slot. Am I using it right?

I use that handle all the time, it allows me to get the hatch almost all the way closed without grabbing the hatch itself. I hate finger prints/drag marks on the paint... I usually can get the hatch to close in one motion, sometimes I have to pop it back open and give it a gentle push on the center of the logo...
rckstein and Fk5 like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 06 Mar 2018, 07:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I use that handle all the time, it allows me to get the hatch almost all the way closed without grabbing the hatch itself. I hate finger prints/drag marks on the paint... I usually can get the hatch to close in one motion, sometimes I have to pop it back open and give it a gentle push on the center of the logo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
My parents had a Plymouth Voyager and dodge caravans when I was growing up. Using that thing is second nature. I just pull it down with the handle and when it's almost all the way down I push down on the Chrysler logo, latches right every time.If you don't push down on the logo area on its way down it will shut but not properly and you will get the trunk ajar light. I'm not a very tall person so I always use the handle. Just how I use it. Everyone probably uses it differently.
I use this method as well, because I also hate any fingerprints
Old 07 Mar 2018, 11:12 am
Senior Cruiser

I think it's mostly for black cruisers. Every smudge and fingerprint shows up on black paint, so that handle was provided so owners of black cars could shut the hatch and keep from smudging the paint. Which would glaringly show up to all the cars following.
ptprice likes this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 11 Mar 2018, 09:05 am
Senior Cruiser

I was not aware of it for the first several months of ownership. I use it most of the time now. My short(er) wife uses it every time.

My Santa Fe has one also but it is backwards compared to the PT.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 11:01 am
Senior Cruiser

You must master the latch, or you will not graduate to the Master PT status, grasshopper.
ptprice, Carnut and Goonior like this.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 11:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

rear interior trim panel needs to be behind that plastic insert you're fingering. ..since you keep the car so mint 'n all.