Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2018, 05:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default AC Advice

Alright, Summer is coming all the snow has kind of screwed off for now. On some of the warmer days (like 5-10C tops) I have tried the AC but noticed it doesn't blow any colder than just the fan. The previous owner told me the AC works but I have my doubts, The way he was acting he didn't think I would ever get the car running, He didn't tell me a few things about the car, like how the wheel bearing was screwed.

I have a service note from a shop he took it to for all its repairs in his ownership. He paid $147 for a used compressor, and $171 for installation. There is a note from the mechanic who said "Metal shavings found in the A/C system in the summer if you want AC fixed a flush and then a pressure test needs to be done ($150) before any repairs can be done" This document is dated 02/23/2017. Now the shop he took it to, I took the cruiser for the provincial inspection, and I do NOT like them, I had a bad experience I won't really get into it, but I am not happy with them and I will not be taking the car back there. Presumably the car was driven in the summer of 2017, and the story I got was the owners daughter drove it with her child, so I would assume they would use AC? I have two service records after this totaling just under $1000 so its not like they stop giving a crap about the car. I assume if it wasn't working they would fix it, that was the kind of person the previous owner was.

I see 3 options

1: Stop worrying about it, wait till its actually hot outside.

2: Pay a shop to flush the AC System

3: Inject dye into the system, Recharge AC See what happens

to be honest I'm not even sure if the system has a charge, I ordered an ac filler hose online, so I will see in the future

Advice?

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 06 Mar 2018, 06:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: AC Advice

If you don't heed the warning about the shavings you risk spending even more on repairs.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 06:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToGo View Post

If you don't heed the warning about the shavings you risk spending even more on repairs.
Its been nearly a year though sense it happened, Wouldn't the shavings already have ruined the system?

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 06 Mar 2018, 07:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post

I have a service note from a shop he took it to for all its repairs in his ownership. He paid $147 for a used compressor, and $171 for installation. There is a note from the mechanic who said "Metal shavings found in the A/C system in the summer if you want AC fixed a flush and then a pressure test needs to be done ($150) before any repairs can be done" This document is dated 02/23/2017.

This is pretty straight forward, the shop did nothing wrong and customer apparently refused complete repairs.

It sounds like the AC compressor was replaced due to a failed / locked up clutch bearing. Given the same belt runs the power steering, the AC compressor needs to be there.

Why did the clutch bearing fail? When a compressor comes apart internally, the clutch can slip and badly overheat the clutch bearing causing it to seize. Metal shavings in the system are pointing to a locked compressor.

The customer was then told for the AC to function, more repairs are needed.

I'm betting the AC system has a leak and someone kept recharging it ( at home ) but didn't replace oil that has leaked out.

Quote:
Now the shop he took it to, I took the cruiser for the provincial inspection, and I do NOT like them, I had a bad experience I won't really get into it, but I am not happy with them and I will not be taking the car back there.

A bad experience does not always = shop doing something wrong. If you have another shop lines up, go there.

Quote:
Presumably the car was driven in the summer of 2017, and the story I got was the owners daughter drove it with her child, so I would assume they would use AC? I have two service records after this totaling just under $1000 so its not like they stop giving a crap about the car. I assume if it wasn't working they would fix it, that was the kind of person the previous owner was.

Do you have any other AC specific repair slips?

Quote:

I see 3 options

1: Stop worrying about it, wait till its actually hot outside.

2: Pay a shop to flush the AC System

3: Inject dye into the system, Recharge AC See what happens

to be honest I'm not even sure if the system has a charge, I ordered an ac filler hose online, so I will see in the future

Advice?

The system will need leak checked first, if the evaporator is leaking, it is a dash out repair. Also, the orifice tube hose will need replaced, system flushed to remove metal and possibly a filter installed to trap metal. ( on most cars, the orifice tune / expansion valve is replaceable but on these cars it is part of the hose. )
Old 06 Mar 2018, 09:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Its been nearly a year though sense it happened, Wouldn't the shavings already have ruined the system?
You just don't really know do you?

I think a little bit of caution here (and a little money) just might save you a big headache.