PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt pcm

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2018, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt pcm

I have recently pulled a code from my pt reading p1604 and it leads to chances of a faulty pcm and or a battery issue but no way to pin point it what do y’all think?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt pcm

On a PT Cruiser, the P1604 trouble code indicates a PCM internal dual-port ram read/write integrity failure. It might be caused by a missing fused ignition switch output (off-start-run circuit) or the PCM may have just failed.

If me, I'd try clearing the codes and resetting the PCM by removing both battery cables, then touching them together and then waiting about 10 minutes before reconnecting them.

While the battery is disconnected, I'd try turning the key on and off a whole bunch of time. Then after reconnecting the cables, I'd drive the car and see if the code returns.

If you need a copy of the service manual for your PT, you can download it from my Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

If you have no joy doing what I suggested, the next move might be to use the wiring diagrams in the manual to identify the power inputs from the key switch on the PCM plugs and then check them for current with the key on using a digital multi meter. Do not use a test light. That might create a surge that kills the PCM.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Mar 2018 at 04:24 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Error Code - P1604
PCM Internal Dual-Port Ram Read/Write Integrity

Failure Conditions: Key on; and the PCM detected an error message that indicated it had not been programmed, or it was not programmed properly.

Possible Causes:
1. Fused Ignition switch output is missing (off-start-run circuit)
2. PCM is damaged or it has an internal failure.

I would suggest first resetting the P01604 code with an OBDII Scan Tool and see if it comes back. If the code comes back check out the possible causes as listed above.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good repeat of my advice from Steve.

But for this particular code, resetting the trouble codes with an OBDII scanner may not do the job. That will erase the code but will not reset the PCM. You will have a better chance of permanently clearing this specific problem by doing the hard reset as I described by removing both battery cables, touching them together and then waiting about ten minutes.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Good repeat of my advice from Steve.

But for this particular code, resetting the trouble codes with an OBDII scanner may not do the job. That will erase the code but will not reset the PCM. You will have a better chance of permanently clearing this specific problem by doing the hard reset as I described by removing both battery cables, touching them together and then waiting about ten minutes.
Where are you getting this information? I don't see it in the Factory Shop Manual.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Where are you getting this information? I don't see it in the Factory Shop Manual.
If all we had to give came out of shop manuals, we could just offer everyone a manual download quit helping.

This particular code is usually caused by either a fault in the PCM or the ignition switch. On the NGC PCM's, following the procedure I described does a hard reset which clears more of the registries. If the PCM fault was caused by faulty data, this provides a potential to clear it. Also, working the key switch back and forth may clear some trash or a little corrosion from a contact within the ignition switch. And that provides a potential to address the ignition switch if that is the cause. Simply clearing the code only solves an errant thrown code. You can always choose to try that first. But since the issue may just return later, the simple things I recommended can be tried for not too much more effort and they increase the odds of success.

Always remember that service manuals are usually written by young engineers for young techs in a service department with all required tools, diagnostics and oversight from older guys like us. While very useful, they do not address the issues of folks working on 12 year old cars in their driveways nor are they always intended for folks with decades of successfully solving issues like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Mar 2018 at 09:12 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 09:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
On a PT Cruiser, the P1604 trouble code indicates a PCM internal dual-port ram read/write integrity failure. It might be caused by a missing fused ignition switch output (off-start-run circuit) or the PCM may have just failed.

If me, I'd try clearing the codes and resetting the PCM by removing both battery cables, then touching them together and then waiting about 10 minutes before reconnecting them.

While the battery is disconnected, I'd try turning the key on and off a whole bunch of time. Then after reconnecting the cables, I'd drive the car and see if the code returns.

If you need a copy of the service manual for your PT, you can download it from my Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

If you have no joy doing what I suggested, the next move might be to use the wiring diagrams in the manual to identify the power inputs from the key switch on the PCM plugs and then check them for current with the key on using a digital multi meter. Do not use a test light. That might create a surge that kills the PCM.
If you don't have a link to the source then this might be internet fake information. Be careful not to spread inaccurate information. I am hoping that this information is true that you are posting and you will provide a link.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 09:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't have a link to the source then this might be internet fake information. Be careful not to spread inaccurate information. I am hoping that this information is true that you are posting and you will provide a link.
The particular reset procedure of touching the battery cables together has been mentioned in several threads throughout this forum.

It is also mentioned in this thread from an ASE Certified and CDJR Master Technician:

https://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/...ear-above.html

Yet others on this forum seem to be free to post whatever they want, and others are supposed to believe it, without them having to provide any verifiable sources for their info.

Sounds like double standards to me.

Last edited by rckstein; 15 Mar 2018 at 09:40 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The particular reset procedure of touching the battery cables together has been mentioned in several threads throughout this forum.

It is also mentioned in this thread from an ASE Certified and CDJR Master Technician:

https://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/...ear-above.html

Yet others on this forum seem to be free to post whatever they want, and others are supposed to believe it, without them having to provide any verifiable sources for their info.

Sounds like double standards to me.
It has been posted that touching the cables together is a myth. No member has been able to post a link to verify this information is accurate.

The link you provided does not refer to a factory shop manual. It is a post that justanswer provides but does not have a source for the answer. We need a source to confirm this is accurate information.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Mar 2018 at 10:15 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Per my PM, let's play nice for a while until Carey is literally back on his feet.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Mar 2018 at 10:46 pm.