• 1 Post By JoeX
  • 2 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2018, 07:59 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default New engine splash shield for SOOO BIG. Buyer beware

SOOO BIG needs a new engine splash shield. It got all bent out a shape from tangling with a busted alternator belt. V
SSPX0014 (640x480).jpg
I found five new engine splash shields on line on one page ranging from CarParts.com at $16.91 to $23.98 from Auto Parts Ware house.V

IMG_20180315_0001.jpg
I wasn't familiar with any of these suppliers so I check them out and found three of them had the same address in Carson, California. I also found out, no matter what the price charged was, it was the same engine splash shield advertised by all of them. They all indeed were of the same corporation, just different company names. When I revealed I knew the addresses were the same and asked about it, the agent said, "it's a marketing strategy. They're all selling the same engine splash shield"

So I ordered from CarParts.com.V
Why pay more for the same thing? It'll be in on the 21st of this month.
Total with shipping/handling was $23.99. I saved $6.96 by fighting the logical impulse to order the most costly, thinking it'd be better quality.
The next day I did a bit more calling around and found out four of the suppliers on that web site plus J.C.Whitney were all in that corporation. A friend of mine who's a retired wholesale auto parts supplier said he's been aware of this for decades. Go figger.BUYER BEWARE!

IMG_20180315_0002.jpg
Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 17 Mar 2018 at 07:04 am.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 08:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New engine splash shield for SOOO BIG. Buyer beware

Better not let Rick find out you didn't buy one with a big MOPER stamped on it.

I can sell you a few Moper Stickers if it makes you or anyone else feel better.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 16 Mar 2018, 09:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Better not let Rick find out you didn't buy one with a big MOPER stamped on it.

I can sell you a few Moper Stickers if it makes you or anyone else feel better.
Naw, I'm ok with after-market for stuff like this, you just have to be careful as it might not be the same thickness as an OEM, like some fender liners that I bought and they were no thicker than heavy construction paper.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 02:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Had to buy one for past PT Cruiser and it came folded in flat package and it was much thinner than the factory one on my other PTs.
rckstein likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 17 Mar 2018, 05:11 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Had to buy one for past PT Cruiser and it came folded in flat package and it was much thinner than the factory one on my other PTs.
The cheap fender liners that I purchased both came rolled up so tight, each about the size of a roll of paper towels, because they were so thin and flimsy

The OEM ones will never roll up that tight
wwpptc and dougs like this.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 07:39 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I posted the thread not to determine how thick the plastic is in SOOO BIG's new engine splash shield but to point out that three of the five parts supplier companies listed on the internet page share the same Carson, California address, all with varying prices, all offering exactly the same REPC310119 PT Cruiser engine splash shield.

As previously mentioned, after finding this out and asking about it, I was told, "It's a marketing strategy". I asked, "What other supply companies were in the corporation"? it was revealed that, "Four of the five listed on the page and JC Whitney were included".

That's why in the thread title I noted, "Buyer beware". Same REPC310119 PT Cruiser engine splash shield, many companies, same corporation, varying prices Doesn't that pique a bit of interest?

No matter how thin SOOO BIG's new engine splash shield is, at least it won't have that "little bit pregnant look." You can see it's been getting some drag marks.
SSPX0014 (640x480).jpg

Happy PTin', ptprice
rcktpwrd likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 17 Mar 2018 at 09:32 am.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

one of my PTs splash shield also hung low and I fabed a flat bar bolted to the frame to support the sag.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 17 Mar 2018, 08:42 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I posted the thread not to determine how thick the plastic is in SOOO BIG's new engine splash shield but to point out that three of the five parts supplier companies listed on the internet page share the same Carson, California address, all with varying prices, all offering exactly the same REPC310119 PT Cruiser engine splash shield.

As previously mentioned, after finding this out and asking about it, I was told, "It's a marketing strategy. I asked, "What other supply companies were in the corporation"? it was revealed that, "Four of the five listed on the page and JC Whitney were included".

That's why in the thread title I noted, "Buyer beware". Same REPC310119 PT Cruiser engine splash shield, many companies, same corporation, varying pricesDoesn't that pique a bit of interest?

No matter how thin SOOO BIG's new engine splash shield is, at least it won't have that "little bit pregnant look." You can see it's been getting some drag marks.
Attachment 28068

Happy PTin', ptprice
After the replacement is installed, but if too thin, it could flop around or flutter when driving from the air flowing around it and you may hear it hitting the underside of your PT, so just keep an ear open for any unusual sounds.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 17 Mar 2018 at 05:23 pm.