PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When PT's Ruled!!!

Like Tree1115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2018, 08:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default When PT's Ruled!!!

After I posted the PT catalog pics of the spoilers (wings) the other day, I got to thinking that the current owners are relatively new to the PT world. They weren't here when our PT's ruled the roost!

If you all want, I thought I would post some pics and info about the PT when everybody wanted a PT and wanted to customize one. Money was no object back then. Ninety nine percent of the owners that were customizing their PT's had bought them new and then IMMEDIATELY started spending thousands of dollars to make theirs the BEST. I personally know of several that spent ten to twenty thousand dollars on their PT. I won't tell you how much I spent on mine. Let's just say it would Have been a LOT more If I hadn't done 99 percent of the custom and mechanical work myself. That was an unexpected benefit from owning (and hands on working everyday) a Speed and Custom body Shop for ten years back in the sixties.

Their were "PT only" shows all over the USA and a lot of of them had a loyal following of several hundred PTs that would show up at every show near them. The annual St Augustine, Fl. show was one that Crewzin and I attended several times over the years.

Small PT exclusive businesses were springing up right and left and most could barely keep up with the demand for their product for quite some time.

Todays offering is a good example of that scenario.

O-DADDY-O was a small business that dealt with radical customization of the front and rear of our PTs body.

They went through several phases of trial and error to come up with a few different versions to offer to the PT public. They sold these pieces as kits for "do-it-yourselfers" or to have your local body shop install.

Yes, that is a "mother-in-laws" seat in the rear of the forth pic above. The trunk lid opened and then you pushed this and pulled that to make the seat actually function.

I hope you liked this first offering, if so, I'll put more up for your enjoyment every couple of days.

Please feel free to comment about any of the "retro" finds that I post here in this thread, BUT PLEASE keep it clean, friendly and present ALL of your posts in a positive manner.. Negative or trolling (baiting) posts are NOT wanted and will not be tolerated

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 05 Apr 2018 at 02:50 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 09:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: When PT's Ruled!!!

Thank you posting the pics. I had not seen these versions before. I remember the frenzy when the first PT's came out. My wife went to look at one at a dealer about 1 hour out of town and they had it marked up almost ten grand and would not let her test drive the car-she walked and waited for years till we bought our used 2004 GT.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 09:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
Thank you posting the pics. I had not seen these versions before. I remember the frenzy when the first PT's came out. My wife went to look at one at a dealer about 1 hour out of town and they had it marked up almost ten grand and would not let her test drive the car-she walked and waited for years till we bought our used 2004 GT.

Thanks for your kind comment.

I think I'm really going to enjoy posting these "Blasts From The Past" for all of you to hopefully enjoy.

When I bought my PT in late 2003, I was just "looking" and I happened to glance over a car carrier that was unloading a new batch of PTs at my local dealers lot. I spotted the Bright Seamist Green beauty and had the wife run in to get a salesman while I stood like an idiot with my hand on the PT. Nobody else was going to get a chance to buy it out from under me.

Then my wallet started getting lighter and lighter.

Rear buckets!!!

Jerry
Old 18 Mar 2018, 10:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd like to see more, Sir! I'm one who, even though I thought the PT Cruiser was the best looking car to come along in a dog's age, besides the Mustang when it went back to the '67/'68 look.

But, like many I did not even think about getting one until seven years after they stopped making them! Even as I was looking for another car, it wasn't until I took a ride in my sister's '03 that I said 'I've got to get one of these!'

I'm looking for a second one now, one that I can play with, perhaps do some custom touches to.

Keep the pictures of the Cruisers Heyday coming!
wwpptc and rockandroller like this.

Last edited by the3dgm; 09 Apr 2018 at 08:56 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When I first saw the PT, when it was introduced, I imagined seeing fleets of them as delivery vehicles, for small companies, as they look kind of like a shrunken delivery or panel van, especially if they had made a panel version like they did with the HHR.

Imagine a pair of swing-open doors on the rear, that would complete the panel van conversion:

Great thread, Jerry, can't wait to see what else you post

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 18 Mar 2018, 11:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks everybody, I think this is really going to be fun!

Tune in tomorrow, same bat channel, same bat time.:cool

Actually, I've got another one or two that I'll post later today.

Jerry
rckstein and Gkon like this.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Okay, swinging rear doors -------------------------------------------------

This one has four pins.

I had pics of several more with swinging doors but they were lost during the photobucket fiasco.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 24 Mar 2018 at 10:57 am.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 01:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Suicide Doors! Now that would have been a great idea, but, how much reinforcing must it have taken to keep them working over time?

Now the two door hardtop. . . well they should have put out the Pronto.
wwpptc and rockandroller like this.

Last edited by the3dgm; 18 Mar 2018 at 01:30 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 02:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dgm View Post
Suicide Doors! Now that would have been a great idea, but, how much reinforcing must it have taken to keep them working over time?

Now the two door hardtop. . . well they should have put out the Pronto.

If you're speaking about the last pic of the orange two door, It's a Chrysler production and was called the SUPER CRUISER. If I remember correctly, it was first shown to the public at the 2002 SEMA show. It was turbocharged and had many other engine mods including an intercooler that was made up of TWO intercoolers joined together. It had what I consider to be the perfect hood scoop for our PTs. It opened at the rear of the hood and not only surrounded the air filter, it also housed two gauges (as on the Pontiac GTO's of the 60's). They advertised 300 HP from the engine. It had a FACTORY roll cage, a full compliment of gauges and it had a full blown sound system in the back. Why would you want that system on a PT that you had spent all that effort on going fast? JK

The hood scoop was even shaped perfectly to flow with the hood shape.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 18 Mar 2018 at 07:32 pm.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^ factory sure about that...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN