HELP! Stranded by Security System

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By SpaceMouse
  • 3 Post By SpaceMouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2018, 01:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default HELP! Stranded by Security System

'06 NA Touring. Locked the vehicle using the button on the key. When I came back, using the unlock button didn't work, so I just unlocked the driver's side door with the key.
When I put the key in the ignition I got a "key in ignition" warning. Turning the key gets me a constant chiming with various warning lights flashing (everything from low fuel light and brake failure to emergency flashers), but no cranking.
How do I get this silly thing to work again? I'm currently stranded.
Thanks
Old 19 Mar 2018, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: HELP! Stranded by Security System

Update- tried both the lock and unlock buttons, no response. Put the key in the ignition, vehicle acts like it has no battery- no lights, nothing.

Anyone?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
Update- tried both the lock and unlock buttons, no response. Put the key in the ignition, vehicle acts like it has no battery- no lights, nothing.

Anyone?
This sounds more like a drained battery than the SKIM in shutdown mode. Normally, the SKIM will disable the starter after so many tries but the little red SKIM light will blink. If everything seems dead, I'd look at the battery. The key mismatch warning could have just been from low voltage to start with.

If me, I take a multimeter and check the voltage across the battery. If below 12 volts, you may have your answer. If around 12 volts or higher, try removing the battery cables, cleaning them and reinstalling them. If in question, remove the battery and take it to a parts store to have it tested. It may require charging first. If non of this works, you could be the victim of the dreaded TIPM failure which seems to plague 2006 PT's more than others.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Mar 2018 at 03:01 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 03:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you couldn't unlock the car with the button & you used key, the alarm should have gone off...horn...starting the car would have shut it off.
I don't believe this was caused by the security system, you have another problem...
Find someone that can give you a jump, then get battery checked.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 19 Mar 2018, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

with the key out of the ignition does the headlight still turn on when you manually turn it on?

I would suggest checking the ignition switch actuator. The actuator has a pin that is for the warning ding when the key is left in the ignition or the lights are left on. It also disables the door locks from locking when the key is still in the ignition. You might have a broken pin in the ignition switch assembly connecting to the ignition actuator.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 19 Mar 2018 at 04:04 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Excellent advice, as usual.
The irony here is that I was literally on my way to drive a good 10 miles or so to make sure that the battery would be kept charged up. This poor vehicle gets driven one mile, twice a day, and sits out every weekend. Turns out that I'd started it exactly one time too many before charging it up again.
Oh well. I'm in my last week at NASA Ames Research Center; NASA has decided to farm out all of the low earth orbit research to the private sector, so a bunch of us are losing our jobs. I'll be driving the PT 60 miles home on Friday; will have to figure out whether to keep it as a utility/crap hauling vehicle, or sell it (potential new job is a mile from my house).
Again, thanks everyone!
Old 19 Mar 2018, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your job. It's good that folks in STEM are in high demand. Are you GS or on the private side?
Old 19 Mar 2018, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
Excellent advice, as usual.
The irony here is that I was literally on my way to drive a good 10 miles or so to make sure that the battery would be kept charged up. This poor vehicle gets driven one mile, twice a day, and sits out every weekend. Turns out that I'd started it exactly one time too many before charging it up again.
Oh well. I'm in my last week at NASA Ames Research Center; NASA has decided to farm out all of the low earth orbit research to the private sector, so a bunch of us are losing our jobs. I'll be driving the PT 60 miles home on Friday; will have to figure out whether to keep it as a utility/crap hauling vehicle, or sell it (potential new job is a mile from my house).
Again, thanks everyone!
Post what you find out and good luck with your job hunting.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 07:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Sorry to hear about your job. It's good that folks in STEM are in high demand. Are you GS or on the private side?
Working through the usual government contract agency- almost nobody is a direct civil servant hire any more. That being said, the group I'm with has been developing our equipment and build techniques for better than five years; whoever made the decision to privatize is assuming that we can just hand over our documentation and procedures to the new contractor and have them ready to roll in a few weeks. They're in for a rude surprise.

When I was hired I was assured that we were funded for another 8 years, more than enough to see me to retirement. After a couple of decades in high tech, with numerous moves from National Security to Biotech to Renewable Energy, I was looking forward to a bit of stability.

The good part is that I'm expecting to hear about a position with a large German tech firm later this week. They own a number of interesting technologies, one of which is the leader in the Daimond-Like Carbon coating business. Their headquarters is in Boulder, Colorado, but they have a tiny R&D lab just a mile from where I live. And I know the process technician there.

I interviewed for a tech position there, but the lead scientist (the guy who actually invented their process) thought I'd be more useful as a Process Development Engineer, setting up and running experiments to develop new techniques and processes (I have some background in vacuum thin film deposition, among about 1,000 other things). I met with their head of U.S. operations last week- he's in Munich this week, hoping to arrange for an expanded R&D budget. If he's successful (and from the interview, he REALLY wants to do this), I'll trade a two hour (each way) commute for a five minute one, with a much much more interesting and challenging job description attached.

Fingers crossed...