• 1 Post By yellowcaper
  • 2 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By yellowcaper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2018, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help matching shifter assembly?

So for context, I managed to cause a break in my '02 PT's shifter assembly (I'm assuming I managed to get some kind of liquid in a place it didn't belong because it wasn't shifting without excessive force when the temperature was below freezing) and have not been able to shift out of park. Taking the console off and inspecting what I could with my extremely limited (0) knowlege, I found the break myself and I'm told that what I need is a replacement shifter assembly. The trouble is that, as I understand, they're no longer in production for the '02 and everything later than that isn't compatible. I've found several '01s and some of them also advertise themselves as fitting an '02, but I don't want to buy one of these things if it isn't going to fit.

So a long question made short, will an '01 shifter assembly fit my '02?

As a side-question, how much of a pain is that part to swap out once the console is already taken apart?

for reference:

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 05:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help matching shifter assembly?

Yes. The 2001 and 2002 use the same shifter for the automatic.

And in truth, you can use ANY auto shifter from any model PT in any other auto PT as long as you swap the whole thing. I put a 2004 ball-style shifter in my 2001 PT. And right now, the Auto Stick GT shifter in my 2007 turbo convertible came out of a 2003 GT.

Here's my thread on the upgrade for my 2001 PT which will have the exact same Cobra head shifter as your 2002.

The "Handy" Chrome Shifty Swap
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Mar 2018 at 05:40 am.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

And in truth, you can use ANY auto shifter from any model PT in any other auto PT as long as you swap the whole thing. I put a 2004 ball-style shifter in my 2001 PT. And right now, the Auto Stick GT shifter in my 2007 turbo convertible came out of a 2003 GT.

Here's my thread on the upgrade for my 2001 PT which will have the exact same Cobra head shifter as your 2002.

This is such a tremendously helpful thing to hear, thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate it!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 08:53 am
Banned

By using my custom shifter balls you can make the round balls fit on your 01/02 cobra head shifter rod without having to replace your entire shifter assembly.

On my 02/03 "DREAM' series balls you simply slide the custom ball onto your shifter rod and tighten the set screw just like you did on your Cobra head Knob.

ALL of the remainder of my custom balls (over 125 different designs) will work on your 01/02 stick by simply drilling one 9/64ths hole, 1/8th of an inch deep into your existing rod.

I'm literally walking out the door to a Drs. appointment. I'll be back later to explain in more detail.

Oh and yes, both year shifter assemblies will work on your PT.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Mar 2018 at 09:03 am.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 11:17 am
Senior Cruiser

It should be pointed out that the real cause of your problem is not the broken shifter. The broken shifter is the effect. The cause of the problem is the shifter cable needs to be replaced. The shifter cables outer sheath has either cracked, or been compromised by rubbing on something. This compromise has allowed water to get inside and freeze the inner cable wire to the sheath. This is why it is so hard to shift when the temp drops below zero, and why you broke your shifter.

A complete repair will be to replace both the shifter and the shifter cable. Now that the temps are rising, you can probably get away with only replacing the broken shifter; for now. Next winter you will break the replacement shifter again when you tug on it when the cable is frozen and you haven't already replaced the cable.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Old 29 Mar 2018, 11:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

If you put the auto stick shifter in a regular PT Cruiser, do you get the autostick funtionality?

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 29 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
If you put the auto stick shifter in a regular PT Cruiser, do you get the autostick funtionality?
Not by itself. But it does work fine as a regular shifter on any auto PT. To make the AutoStick gizmo work on a turbo lite, you will need that function enabled in the PCM (or just use a GT or Stage 1 PCM on a turbo PT). And for a 1st Gen PT, you will also need a GT speedometer cluster. That doesn't seem to matter on the 2nd Gen PT's.

My 2007 turbo vert already had the wiring for this. I'm not sure if the 2003 thru 2005 PT's do or not. And of course, the 2001/2002 don't have the wiring and I figure it can't be added to the older style PCM either. I do believe it's theoretically possible to have AutoStick enabled in the PCM on a 2003 and newer non-turbo PT. I say that because it did seem to be an option on these cars though I've never seen one on a non-turbo. You would also have to find someone that could enable it. At this point, I have no idea who could do that. The easy answer is just to move all needed parts from a GT to a similar turbo light. For other PT's, you'd likely be plowing new ground.

There is a How-to on adding the AutoStick on one of the other Chrysler forums. I think it was for a Sebring, but I don't remember.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Mar 2018 at 12:24 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2018, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
It should be pointed out that the real cause of your problem is not the broken shifter. The broken shifter is the effect. The cause of the problem is the shifter cable needs to be replaced. The shifter cables outer sheath has either cracked, or been compromised by rubbing on something. This compromise has allowed water to get inside and freeze the inner cable wire to the sheath. This is why it is so hard to shift when the temp drops below zero, and why you broke your shifter.

A complete repair will be to replace both the shifter and the shifter cable. Now that the temps are rising, you can probably get away with only replacing the broken shifter; for now. Next winter you will break the replacement shifter again when you tug on it when the cable is frozen and you haven't already replaced the cable.
This was admittedly something I knew I'd have to address but figured I could let go for now, given I plan to replace this thing over the summer, but I'm really glad to get some insight on just exactly where that freezing is probably occurring, so thank you so much for this response. I really appreciate it!
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.