PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fumey 05 Turbo Convertible

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2018, 12:48 am
Young Cruiser

Default Fumey 05 Turbo Convertible

I've been trying to solve this mystery for some time now. I bought the car back in Dec and have had problems on and off with it running really fumey. I can smell it at stop lights and particularly in the trunk area. I've had it smoke tested and exhaust leaks suppossedly fixed, that seemed to help but still fumey. Then I found an pcv hose that was cut too short a length so fixed that...it seemed to help but still runs fumey. Changed out the spark plugs and wires and that also helped. But...it still runs fumey enough to be annoying. I have tested for C0 in the cabin with a tester that I had in the car for months and no measurable levels of C0. My next course of action is to clean the MAP sensor with CRC electrical parts cleaner and replace the upstream 02 sensor. I am going to go ahead and install a charcoal cabin air filter as well because it may just be this way as it is an old car. Any other suggestions out there? I am hoping the problem lies in the O2 sensor. I have no check engine codes but perhaps it is still working but out of spec.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 12:53 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Fumey 05 Turbo Convertible

To clarify the "fumey" smell it smells as if the engine is running overly rich. Sometimes the engine stumbles when accelerating from a stop before the engine warms up.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a crack in the injector rail that did this on my vert. But the first place to look is the fuel line that runs from the firewall to the engine on the passenger side. These can get pretty crispy after a while. And a minor leak may evaporate before you can see it giving you those fumes you are noticing. Another cause could be a problem in the evaporator system.

Here's thread about my problem on this:

Handy Needs Help: Gasoline Odor - Sometimes

Here's my write up on the solution to my specific problem:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

And here's my write up on upgrading the fuel line.

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!
wwpptc likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 02:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I've tried turning the key to run several times to pressurize the fuel system and can't smell any leaks along the fuel line. The exhaust coming out of the tail pipe smells like there is some unburnt fuel which is why I am suspencting the O2 or MAP sensor but I am sure there could be a lot of causes.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2002utd View Post
I've tried turning the key to run several times to pressurize the fuel system and can't smell any leaks along the fuel line. The exhaust coming out of the tail pipe smells like there is some unburnt fuel which is why I am suspencting the O2 or MAP sensor but I am sure there could be a lot of causes.
Pull the plugs.

If all look flooded, it might be the MAP or O2 sensor. If it's just one, then it may be a leaking injector. Also, the O2 sensor and MAP sensor usually throw a trouble code when they go bad or get our of range. If you have a shop-level scanner and could look at the fuel trim numbers, the problem might become obvious.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 04:01 pm
Young Cruiser

I like the idea of getting a shop scanner. That could come in very handy. Anybody have any recommendations on a good one?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your engine light is not coming on I am suggesting you might have a gas leak.

When you fill your tank do you top it off? There is a charcoal purge canister that gets filled up with raw fuel if the evap system is not working properly and when you top off your fuel tank the raw gas might be filling up in the charcoal purge canister.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I like the idea of getting a shop scanner. That could come in very handy. Anybody have any recommendations on a good one?
I don't know of one that will do fuel trim for under $600. If me, I'd pull the plugs. That will likely show you what you need to see. Or at least rule it out.
Old 02 Apr 2018, 06:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
I've been trying to solve this mystery for some time now. I bought the car back in Dec and have had problems on and off with it running really fumey. I can smell it at stop lights and particularly in the trunk area. I've had it smoke tested and exhaust leaks suppossedly fixed, that seemed to help but still fumey. Then I found an pcv hose that was cut too short a length so fixed that...it seemed to help but still runs fumey. Changed out the spark plugs and wires and that also helped. But...it still runs fumey enough to be annoying. I have tested for C0 in the cabin with a tester that I had in the car for months and no measurable levels of C0. My next course of action is to clean the MAP sensor with CRC electrical parts cleaner and replace the upstream 02 sensor. I am going to go ahead and install a charcoal cabin air filter as well because it may just be this way as it is an old car. Any other suggestions out there? I am hoping the problem lies in the O2 sensor. I have no check engine codes but perhaps it is still working but out of spec.

This still sounds like exhaust to me.
Have you used the C0 tester in the trunk..??
Have you looked at the trunk seals or the convertible roof seals/rear window..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Apr 2018, 11:21 pm
Young Cruiser

I found a bluetooth scanner for $20 on amazon that does fuel trim. It also works as a racing computer and can log 0-60 times and other performance data. It also does boost psi. Seems kinda cool, the app you download it lets you use your phone as any type of gauge while you are driving or multiple gauges. I'll have to try the C0 meter in the trunk. The smell is weird, sometimes I notice it in the trunk, sometimes not. Tonight it seemed to be coming from the drivers side wheel well area. Its like a phantom smell! I am determined to find the cause! Where is the charcoal canister? I assume near the fuel tank? I typically fill up the car until the auto shut off clicks in. As a side note this fuminess seemed to increase specifically around the time that I added a can of seafoam to the tank and if I remember it did this the last time I added seafoam as well. It always runs fumey but seems to get worse with the seafoam in the tank.