• 1 Post By Macgyverman1123
  • 1 Post By mw1957
  • 1 Post By Azrak
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2018, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel Tank doubts

New here. Daughter got hand me down 05 Convertible PT, automatic. Decent shape. Had some issues but had them fixed. My question is about capacity of fuel tank. Everything I have found here says 15 gallons. We have run this one down below E. A couple times. The most I can get back in to the tank has been 10.1. Then it registers all the way full on the gauge. Were there any made with smaller tanks? I'm about to throw a gallon can in here and drive her til she stops.
Old 06 Apr 2018, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Tank doubts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1957 View Post
New here. Daughter got hand me down 05 Convertible PT, automatic. Decent shape. Had some issues but had them fixed. My question is about capacity of fuel tank. Everything I have found here says 15 gallons. We have run this one down below E. A couple times. The most I can get back in to the tank has been 10.1. Then it registers all the way full on the gauge. Were there any made with smaller tanks? I'm about to throw a gallon can in here and drive her til she stops.
After the fuel light comes on you usually have approximately one to one and one half gallons of fuel left. I have never topped off my fuel tank and sometimes it shows above the full mark but not completely topped off so you can't go by the fuel gauge. I would recommend not to below a quarter of a tank of fuel to keep the fuel pump from possibly overheating and not to top it off. I usually put 8 to 9 gallons of fuel in my fuel tank each time.

Does the fuel light come on when your fuel gauge shows below E?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Apr 2018 at 02:12 pm.
Old 06 Apr 2018, 03:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ever since i had my PT, the gas gauge has always been screwy. It typically reads about a quarter tank less than is actually in it. I just fill it up when it gets low and I've never had an issue. Someday i will fix it. As long as you know what's really full and what's really empty, you won't ever run out.
Old 09 Apr 2018, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Light comes on. Then I drive it a little and can only get a hair more than 10 gallons in to it. Even at 1.5 gallons when light comes on, thatís no 15 gallon tanks. Did they make them with smaller tanks?
Old 09 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When the fuel light comes on does it only chime once?

When the fuel tank gets down to 3 gallons it will chime once and when it gets down to 1.5 gallons it will chime twice.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 07:16 am
Regular Cruiser

About the most I've ever put in between fill-ups is 12 gallons, but on the average it's about 10 1/2.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. Thanks all. I thought I had read they were 15 gallon tanks. So I'll live on the assumption it's gonna only take 10-11 and get about 15 mpg. Mostly town driving by daughter. I don't know the chime answers.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT Convertible has a 15 gallon fuel tank. However, you will be hard pressed to get 14 gallons into it. And it's going to take about 12 to 13 gallons to fill it up from the gauge reading empty. Normal fillup for me is 11 to 12 gallons when getting close to "E".

The fuel gauge moves sort of logrhythmically. This is due to cheap electronics in the fuel sending unit. And it means your 1st quarter tank will last a lot longer than your second. And your second half tank doesn't last too long at all. The advertised fuel mileage is around 17 mpg city and 24 highway. And that sounds about right since every PT Cruiser I've owned got about 22 miles per gallon overall.

Contrary to a lot of used car ads, a PT Cruiser is not an economical vehicle. It's supposed to be a fun sporty vehicle or a mini SUV. And many states classify it as an SUV so it got a pass on many of the fuel mileage standards.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Apr 2018 at 12:15 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 12:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Don't get me wrong, these are just my experiences from filling up when my gauge shows empty or close to it. I'm pretty sure it's a 15 gallon tank, I just never let it get low enough to run out.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:11 pm
Banned

The UltraGauge on my PT can monitor fuel level and it shows 14.5 gallons when filled: