PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear bumper tap.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2018, 08:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Rear bumper tap.

SOOO Big got a tap on the rear bumper cover. There were dark scrape marks and cracks. Someone probably parked by ear. I vaguely remember a diagonal parking lot with slots with out the concrete tire stops.
Went by my friend Aubrey's shop on way home. Solvent and rag removed the scrape marks. Already looks a lot better. He''ll remove step guard and splash guards.The bumper cover'll come off, remove all that last coat of paint, prep and repaint the whole cover, reinstall. $175. Not bad. That'll get that spot where the last paint job lifted too.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Ouch
cracked lifted paint.jpg

rear bumper and cover diagram.
rear bumper drawing 1 .jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 07 Apr 2018 at 09:12 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 09:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Rear bumper tap.

Not bad at all. I pay 300 for that
ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Great price for the repair...get her done. Bummer about the boo boo.
ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 10:25 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
SOOO Big got a tap on the rear bumper cover. There were dark scrape marks and cracks. Someone probably parked by ear. I vaguely remember a diagonal parking lot with slots with out the concrete tire stops.
Went by my friend Aubrey's shop on way home. Solvent and rag removed the scrape marks. Already looks a lot better. He''ll remove step guard and splash guards.The bumper cover'll come off, remove all that last coat of paint, prep and repaint the whole cover, reinstall. $175. Not bad. That'll get that spot where the last paint job lifted too.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Ouch
Attachment 28285

rear bumper and cover diagram.
Attachment 28286

SORRY to hear about your "ouchy".

GOOD that it wasn't very bad.

GOOD that you were able to clean up most of the damage yourself.

GOOD you have a shop you trust with paint.

GOOD that you can get another flaw fixed at the same time as this repair.

GOOD that the cost is very reasonable.

GOOD that there is still air --- so we have something to inflate basketballs.

GOOD ------ GRAVY MAN, DO IT NOW, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.00

You know I'm just kidding.

Glad you're coming out ok on this.

It could be worse.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 08 Apr 2018 at 05:34 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 10:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Later on, after making my arrangements with Aubrey for $175 , I checked at two other high falutin' shops for estimates on the same work. $445.38 and $409.18. Big bucks. And I would be responsible for removing and reinstalling the step and splash guards. Both of these shops had 16" tiles on their floors. That must be a common denominator for these pretentious, pompous shops. Thus the much higher estimate. Aubrey's shop just has concrete floors with a good sprinkling of oil, grease and paint.

Happy PTin', ptprice
rockandroller and Gkon like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 08 Apr 2018 at 11:56 am.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

I opened this thread thinking that you were going to tell us that you'd installed a Kegerator in the back of your PT and were looking for advice on installing a tap on the rear bumper.
Now I gotta go search the "When PTs Ruled" thread to see if someone has done that.
wwpptc, ptprice, Gkon and 1 others like this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 11:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

SM i was trying to get him to do this when he was going to add everclear to the washer bottle: https://youtu.be/zjJiXIMhIBM
ptprice, Gkon and SpaceMouse like this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 12:06 pm
Banned

$175 to have that fixed is a real good price.

Most likely your body shop is giving you a little bit of a break because you're a repeat customer. But that's good, too, that you have a good body shop that you can trust.

In my area, a minimum to have that done would be about $300.

It's possible that the person that tapped you didn't know that they did it,

But if they did know that they did it and drove off without leaving their name, then they are a slouch
ptprice likes this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 12:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
I opened this thread thinking that you were going to tell us that you'd installed a Kegerator in the back of your PT and were looking for advice on installing a tap on the rear bumper.
Now I gotta go search the "When PTs Ruled" thread to see if someone has done that.
Not quite on the subject of the thread, but, Junk yard Empire made a PT Ice Cream Truck. It's now for sale. $5000. I'm sure you could cool a six pack in it.

PT_ICE_CREAM_TRUCK reduced.jpg
SpaceMouse likes this.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 04:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Not quite on the subject of the thread, but, Junk yard Empire made a PT Ice Cream Truck. It's now for sale. $5000. I'm sure you could cool a six pack in it.

Not bad, it could come in handy if you have to carry around a body for awhile
ptprice and Azrak like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost