Got a drip/leak

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By PTButch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2018, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got a drip/leak

Looking for some help. Noticed some wet spots on the driveway. Thought it was oil. Been checking the dip stick for 2 weeks. Not a drop missing. Thought maybe it was tranny fluid. Been checking that for 2 weeks. Not a drop is missing. I have had to fill the coolant overflow tank twice. Checked the bottom of the tank and the hose,dry as a bone. Followed the hose to the top of the radiator and found that it was just barely on. Didn't appear wet but the tank was empty again and no dripping. Question is could the coolant be running down the side of the engine and dripping near the drain plugs? My idea of working on my car is paying someone else to make it right.
Old 08 Apr 2018, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Got a drip/leak

Could be power steering, brake line, rear main seal...if you let the car(w/automatic) sit too long the torque converter empties and could leak right through the pan gasket. Check your oil pan plug(bolt) and see if its wet, it could be the threads on the bolts have stretched including the threads on the oil pan, which would have to be replaced(been there done that). Just keep checking and it will reveal itself.
Put a white piece of paper where its leaking and check the color of the fluid which could tell what type of fluid is leaking.
pt06 and chuzz like this.
Old 09 Apr 2018, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

don't know what's leaking but for you should not be loosing coolant. Either get a pressure tester or have it done and that should reveal where that leak is.

It nothing shows up bleed the system and see if it goes away. After that you need to check your head gasket. There are kits you can by or have a mechanic check it.

If it's an oil leak unless it's a puddle you may not see a change in level for a while.

Good luck.
Old 10 Apr 2018, 08:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Think I figured it out. After looking at the engine compartment for a while, I realized that the hose running to the coolant overflow tank was not on the nipple. Somehow, the clamp was gone and the hose was on just enough to make it appear in place. I pushed it back on and put a wire tie around the end. It has been raining and snowing so I have to wait and see. Thanks for everyone's help.
rob302 likes this.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Happy, you the man. Thought I had solved the problem with the coolant hose but nope. Decided to watch the oil drain plug and after a while saw it dripping out. Used all my mechanical skills and gave it a spin with a wrench. Man it was lose. As I was tightening it up, oh shineola, it felt like it was stripped. I always took it to Valvoline quick oil change. Went there today and expected to battle it out. Asked for oil change, no question asked. When I got home and checked, brand new bolt and no drip. Thank you Valvoline.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

They probably knew you, knew they screwed it up and decided the best course of action was to just replace it and keep quiet. Glad to hear it's fixed.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.