PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser Gas Issue?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2018, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser Gas Issue?

This morning I got in and started my base model 2007 convertible PT Cruiser. It had a terrible tremble to it. Car shakes. I was almost out of gas so I went down and put fuel in it and noticed it would only take about half the normal amount about $17.00 worth.
It acts like it's not getting fuel.

Anybody else experience this? What is the most likely culprit?

Thanks guys.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser Gas Issue?

Engine light on? If so what codes?

Does it shake in park or only when you put it in drive?
Old 11 Apr 2018, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

No sir there is not a SES light on. It does it in park.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your motor mounts might need to be replaced. Have someone look at the engine while you are shifting it from park to drive and see if the engine moves back and fourth nore than approx 3\4 of an inch. Post how much it moves.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your motor mounts are good with the engine cold start the engine turn on your A/C. Your radiator fan should come on almost immediately. If it does not come on you need to find out why your radiator fan is not coming on.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Apr 2018 at 12:05 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep I just replaced the fan. I hope I didn't get a faulty one. That would not be cool.

Even after I replaced the fan last weekend....the car still had a little shake. I will check the motor mounts and check the fan this evening.

Still kinda weird it wound only let me fill up the car halfway. Even weirder that I have no SES light on.
Maybe it was a faulty gas pump or maybe I was just not paying attention to well with the car shaking like crazy. I will report back.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are the two 15 mm bolts supposed to be a major pain to get back in? Holy moly i started tightening and it was no good. I backed them both out and threads started to shred some. I stopped.
They all came right off. No air needed but I’m
Not sure how in the world to get them back on
Help

The front motor mount was trashed btw.

Last edited by shultzee13; 11 Apr 2018 at 10:25 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 12:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a procedure for replacing upper and lower motor mounts (Torque Struts) in the factory service manual. This is critical to make sure everything is installed correctly.

Did you jack up the front of the Pt Cruiser before removing the upper torque strut?

If you have not done this before it is a good idea to get someone to help you.
The steps below is just a basic general idea of how I install my motor mounts (Torque Struts). You should look at the Factory Service Manual to the accurate detailed instructions.

Jack the car up, put it on stands. Raise the engine up to release any tension on the upper torque struts.
Replace the upper torque strut. Tighten the bolts down but don't torque it to specific torque requirements yet.
Support the transmission housing with the jack at the very front until you can see pressure has been taken off barely at the torque struts.
Removed the lower torque strut and then install the new lower torque strut if you are replacing the lower torque strut. Tighten it down.
Adjust the floor jack down a little and then back up a little on the forward edge of the transmission housing. Raise the transmission too much and you will put too much pressure on the center and transmission motor mounts.
Loosen all Upper and Lower torque strut bolts, making sure each bolt has no pressure on it, adjust floor jack as necessary, then finger tight all of them after verifying all bolts do not have pressure on them.
Jack the transmission housing up higher until you are able to get the 4.72” (119mm) alignment (on plate attached to the upper torque strut and tighten all upper and lower torque strut bolts. Be very careful you look up the specific torque requirement for each bolt as you can strip it and have more headaches.

This is my thread when I replaced the upper and lower torque struts on my first Pt Cruiser and then on the other one.
Help with replacing Lower and Upper Torque Struts
pt06 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Apr 2018 at 04:48 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 03:13 am
Senior Cruiser

When you hear 'jack up the engine' , it is a misleading statement [when talking about changing the torque struts]. You are simply rotating the top of the engine rearward. This puts the transaxle in its proper position. There is a boss/lug at the front of the trans. It takes only a little jack force to rotate the engine to the 4.72" dimension.

Steve gave a good method of installing them. Note that one end of the struts has an oval slot, which allows for the adjustment.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 04:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Couple thing.....

1. not taking gas- check the gas valve (forgot the technical name) in the tank itself. If its bad then the tank has to be replaced.

2. Engine shaking- agreed its probably bad mounts or the mounts are not aligned properly. I just had to get mine aligned and my engine shaking has nearly ceased. My top and lower mounts are new though.

Check into my recent post about aligning mounts and what you have to measure to align properly. There is a photo there that shows the measuring areas and distance between those 2 points. 119mm.

Rough Idle with possible solutions. Thoughts?

3. Check your Throttle Body and IAC (Idle Air Controller) for dirt and build up and either replace them or clean them. They too can cause rough idling/shaking.

Hope you get it fixed and running properly.