PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
So tell me about 2001 Cruisers.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2018, 10:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Default So tell me about 2001 Cruisers.

I'm looking at another orphan to resuce. An '01 with a broken nose.
I usually shy away from first year cars and let the car companies work out the bugs.
How are the '01's? Good car, bad car, buy, don't buy?
Any serious reason to stay away, other than it's getting a little long in the tooth?

j
Old 11 Apr 2018, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: So tell me about 2001 Cruisers.

I have a base-model '01 and I love it! I have never owned a newer one so I don't really know they're much nicer. Shes got over 137,000 on er and she still runs and drives. Very reliable, smooth ride, nice roar (Thanks to a rusted out exhaust) and all around a very comfortable car. Keep us posted on what you end up deciding.

-Zack
I love my car and Cruiser culture.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 12:18 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks Zach. Book value is about $2500 in good shape. This one needs about a thousand in body work. Doesn't leave much meat on the bone.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would be interested in the production dates....maybe someone has a built in 2000?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Apr 2018, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
I'm looking at another orphan to resuce. An '01 with a broken nose.
I usually shy away from first year cars and let the car companies work out the bugs.
How are the '01's? Good car, bad car, buy, don't buy?
Any serious reason to stay away, other than it's getting a little long in the tooth?

j
The 2001 models are the best of the non-turbo PT's in my opinion. These cars were made as "low-production" models so they spent more time on the smaller details.

As already mentioned, there were two batches of 2001 PT's. The first batch started being built in 2000. The oldest I've seen was built in February of 2000. The most notable difference is that the first batch cars came with aluminum spare tire rims. All second batch 2001 PT's and later models have a steel spare tire rim. Other differences may include no rear head rests. First batch 2001 PT's are sometimes refereed to as 2000 models. But all are officially 2001 models. A great example of a first batch 2001 PT is the show car owned by the forum administrator, CREWZIN. The bumpers have been painted and it sports 2003 GT wheels along with all the other extremely cool stuff.

The second batch of 2001 PT's appears to have started production late in 2000 and lasted until about July of 2001. These cars are very similar to 2002 models. Special items include better premium speakers in the doors, taupe colored rubber door seals, hood opening detectors/alarms, key locks on the passenger front doors, lighted power door lock switches, fully lighted power windows switches in the front and back, extra trim on the inside of the glove box, extra trim on the inside edge of the front seat pedestals, and a vanity cover on the engine. Many also came with an extra little plastic door in the rear cubbie and a cargo net that's stored in the bottom of the cubbie. All except for the 2002 Dream Cruiser came with unpainted gray bumpers that tend to fade with the masking tape was applied during painting of the car at the factory. Most of these thing were eliminated on 2003 and later PT's except for the lighted switches which seemed to have made periodic returns now and then. Most 2003 based model also retained the unpainted bumpers.

Limited and some Touring models in 2001/2002 had chrome plated aluminum 16" wheels made by American Racing. The 2002 wheels have "dimples" on the spokes that the 2001 wheels don't have. The stitching on the leather seats is also slightly different between 2001 and 2002 models. Here's my past second batch 2001 PT Limited:

Specific problems with 2001 PT's include failing memory in some of the PCM's. 2001/2002 PT's use the earlier JTEC PCM's with a separator TCM. But the problem seems mostly in 2001 models. The car will run fine with this issue but the check engine light will stay on. The only fix is to replace the PCM. Other issues include the paint pealing from the center console bezel and cracking of the taupe-colored dash board. Always replace these interior pieces with parts from later 2003 through 2005 models. The plugs wires also seem to fail sooner on these early models but on some later PT's as well. The 2001 PT did not come from the factory with a cabin filter beneath the windshield cowling on the right side. You can add these from later model PT's. The bump stops above the rear axle also tend to crumble on these early models as well. The multi-function switch on the steering column tends to fail as it does with most 2001 thru 2005 PT's. The radiator fans are just as likely to fail too.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Apr 2018 at 08:59 am.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 09:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My grandpa has a 2001 pt cruiser and it's much more reliable then my 2006. They can have nice options too like folding mirrors and a cubby door. What needs to be done to the front end? There is a metric ton of these parts in scrap yards, if you have to replace the bumper might as well get a later one, that's painted.
Handy_Cruiser and raeder like this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250
Old 12 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I think all the first generation PT Cruisers are awesome.
My son Steve's 2001 PT 5 SPD non turbo leather/suede interior was bought new. One of the first off the line. It's called Aquacruiser. Has at least 175,000 mile on it with little done except careful standard maintenance. He's replaced the timing belt and kit, belts, clutch and brakes along the way. He's thinkin' about new motor mounts in the near future. It's still a daily driver but now that he's on his Harley every day his wife Jennifer get to drives it more.

SOOO BIG has a lot of "found" 2001 parts including his "new" 2001 leather/suede seats, the driver's side under drawer, vanity cover, rear shelf and cubby cover.

GO FOR IT!!!
Happy PTin', ptprice

All photos reduced in size KB byte count with Imgbb and then Paint. Thanks to the great Forum input and instruction

Imgbb front seat.jpg

Img back seatjpg.jpg

Img vanity cover jpg.jpg

Img rear shelf.jpg
Handy_Cruiser and Carnut like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 09:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really great info. It comes down to money. If the repairs cost more than x amount it makes it a poor buy. 2 fenders, hood, bumper cover, radiator, paint. Deer hit I'm guessing. From the doors back it is a nice clean car.
j
Old 12 Apr 2018, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Really great info. It comes down to money. If the repairs cost more than x amount it makes it a poor buy. 2 fenders, hood, bumper cover, radiator, paint. Deer hit I'm guessing. From the doors back it is a nice clean car.
j
I wonder if the frame got tweeted?
Old 12 Apr 2018, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockey3 View Post
My grandpa has a 2001 pt cruiser and it's much more reliable then my 2006. They can have nice options too like folding mirrors and a cubby door. What needs to be done to the front end? There is a metric ton of these parts in scrap yards, if you have to replace the bumper might as well get a later one, that's painted.
We got the idea of getting a PT as next project from a neighbor who got a nice 2001. Can't wait to start working on a 2005 PT right after we finished installing the new rack and tonneau cover for the kayak mounts on the truck. Heard so many issues from 2006 PT's and up, especially the TIPM setup.

Tags
01 pt