PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CRICKET SOUND FROM ENGINE ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2004, 02:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Default CRICKET SOUND FROM ENGINE ?

THANKS PEOPLE

I took it to the dealership and it turns out to be one of the belts that need to be replaced..which they have ordered and will replace under Warranty tomorrow free of charge

THANKS PEOPLE

Hi People

I just picked up my 2003 PT Cruiser Classic Edition Monday ..it was used but only 23000 kms (about 12000 miles) and have just found your site ITS GREAT

So I have a question,,for you all,,

When I step on the gas and WHILE increasing speed its sound like the car is being run by a herd of Crickets ? and if you remove your foot from the gas pedal and coasts then no sound ?

Is this just my PT Crusier or do they all make this sound ?

If its just mine ,,how do i correct this ?

my direct email is JGNONT@YAHOO.COM

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 14 Jul 2004, 02:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

Sounds something that could either be a Belt? Or something in the Exhaust maybe?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jmack

Sounds something that could either be a Belt? Or something in the Exhaust maybe?
Agree. Try to isolate the sound - maybe have someone else drive while you listen. Try having someone give it gas while parked while you listen with hood up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jul 2004, 04:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Welcom to the forums JGN. I agree with Don, only you drive and have the tech form the place you bought it listen. You may be under warrenty. Good luk, ey.

John
Old 14 Jul 2004, 05:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's probably the same noise (pinging) that you hear when you get bad gas or the octane is too low or with a stick shift, being in the wrong gear (too high) when your trying hard to accelerate. The PT has a knock sensor but it sounds like it's not working. Get to a professional...if it's doing it all the time, you can damage your engine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 06:16 pm
Young Cruiser

THANKS PEOPLE

I took it to the dealership and it turns out to be one of the belts that need to be replaced..which they have ordered and will replace under Warranty tomorrow free of charge

THANKS PEOPLE

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JGN

Hi People

I just picked up my 2003 PT Cruiser Classic Edition Monday ..it was used but only 23000 kms (about 12000 miles) and have just found your site ITS GREAT

When I step on the gas and WHILE increasing speed its sound like the car is being run by a herd of Crickets ? and if you remove your foot from the gas pedal and coasts then no sound ?

Old 15 Jul 2004, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow. Surprised they replaced a belt under warranty - I thought things like belts, brakes, weren't covered??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Jul 2004, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Wow. Surprised they replaced a belt under warranty - I thought things like belts, brakes, weren't covered??
Possibly customer satisfaction seeing it was a "new" used and just purchased. Good for them
Old 15 Jul 2004, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PTNeo

I just recently had the same problem, mine ended up being since I bough my Pt used, and it was lowered, the previous owner had bottomed out the car raising the radiator support bracket, so when my engine shifts forward on acceleration, the engine would hit the cooling fan.
!$NEO$! 2001 PT Cruizer Limited Edition, Intake vortex, Cold Air intake, Headers, Cherry Bomb with dual lake pipes,Gold Line Lowering Springs, Old school Bomb Rear Lights, Infinity Head unit, 4 TV\'s, Playstation, DVD, 2 MTX mono Amps, 1500 Watts Each, 3 12\'inch Infinity Kappas.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 06:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JGN

OK IM BACK and so is my herd of crickets under my hood

I took the car to the dealership and they said the belts for the AC alt. etc needed to be replaced,, which they did,,

No noise for one day

Then my herd of crickets came back

So back i go to the dealership again

they then say the tension adjuster on the belts needs to be replaced and they order the part I wait 4 days for it then it comes in, back to the dealership I go.. and its installed ,,,no noise

The next morning guess what the herd is back,, BUT ,,as soon as the
engine warms up after a short drive,,no noise

So does anyone one else have this sound when they first start the car ?
is it normal ? am i just being to picky and should live with it ? or ???????

Thx in advance

JGN

THANKS PEOPLE

THANKS PEOPLE

Hi People