Guide: Replace AC Compressor Bearing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajhockey3
  • 1 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2018, 11:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Guide: Replace AC Compressor Bearing

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I couldn't find any guides on this repair, so I decided to make my own to help people who will try to do this

What you will need:
New Bearing (30mm ID x 52mm OD x 22mm Thick)
10MM Socket
7MM Socket
3/4 Socket
Rachet
15MM Wrench
Jack
Jackstand
PB Blaster or some lube
Snap ring plyers
vice grip
A 2x4 piece of wood thats about 2-3 feet long
Hammer

Optional:

Bearing Race and Seal Driver
Degreaser, or some sort of engine cleaner.
A couple beers - this job isn't the most fun

To Start, Jack the vehicle up, and place the front passenger side on a jackstand, but leave the jack for backup support, You will be climbing underneath the car.

Remove the lug nuts, and the tire and place it aside, If you vehicle has a splash shield, you will need to remove it.

Remove the inner fendor lining to give you more space, on my 2006 PT Cruiser the bolts are 7MM, I think they may be different on 1st gen cruisers.

Next take the locking vice grips, and lock them between the inside of the AC Compressor clutch and the outside of the pully, make sure the serpentine belt is still on and tensioned right, if it is off the car or loose, the 10MM bolt will not loosen and will just spin the clutch. So now that you have the vice grips locked, loosen the 10MM bolt in the middle of the AC Compressor Clutch, and remove the bolt.

Remove the vice grips, and you should be able to pull the clutch off.

Now in my case, the snapring for the pully was so covered in filth, I couldn't see it, so I sprayed some "Foamy Engine Cleaner" in there a few times to get the dirt out, and then I PB Blastered the snapring and its area.

Remove the snapring, This was very very very tough, I actually broke my snapring plyers, they bent because it was so tough, this itself probably took me 30 minutes.

Put the 15MM wrench on the belt tensioner and remove the serpentine belt

Now the fun part, crawl under the car in about the middle with your hammer and the 2x4. With the end of the 2x4 you should be able to get the wood against the bottom of the pully, give it 2-3 HARD blows against the wood with the hammer, then spin the compressor and repeat until you can pull it off, In my case it binded, so I hit it back the other way from the front, and it came right off. It probably took 15 blows total with a 24 ounce hammer.

Now to remove the bearing from the pully, find a socket thats a similar size to the bearing or use a race and seal kit, to knock it out. to remove it hammer it from the side that would have the clutch out to the side that would touch the coil pack. it took me about 50 good hits to get it going, I actually shattered a race and seal driver and had to use a 1' socket. mine was real stubborn.

I put my new bearing in a ziplock bag and tossed it into the freezer for an hour hoping it would go in easier. The ziplock baggie is to keep moisture out.
Use the old bad bearing ontop of the new one so you don't damage your new bearing, and pound that sucker in! You will see there is a lip where the bearing will stop. I also lubed the outside of my bearing with just some 5W-30 motor oil I had laying around.

Then just do put everything back on.

This job took me about 3 hours, If I had a write up like this, it would be much quicker
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250

Last edited by ajhockey3; 23 Apr 2018 at 02:59 pm.
Old 23 Apr 2018, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Guide: Replace AC Compressor Bearing

Appreciate the write up, and the fact you likely spent an hour writing this.
ajhockey3 likes this.
Old 23 Apr 2018, 02:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Guide: Replace AC Compressor Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Appreciate the write up, and the fact you likely spent an hour writing this.
NP, It took me maybe 10 minutes to write, I have a really fast tying speed, best I've done is get top 96% in a typing speed test https://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/

2006 PT Cruiser Base 2.4L NA $250