Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lost keys and need to bypass or completely remove security on 04 pt cruiser

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2018, 01:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default lost keys and need to bypass or completely remove security on 04 pt cruiser

Need to bypass or remove the factory security on a 2004 2.4L (no turbo)
Lost keys and need to remove security, can not afford reprogramming or go to a service center. Only car and losing work each day. Any help for a poor boy will greatly be appreciated. Thxs.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 02:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: lost keys and need to bypass or completely remove security on 04 pt cruiser

Not gonna happen, Three components make up the security system, remove or replace any three
and it will not start without programming. Unless you have the PCM programmed to shut off the Security and that would be days
to remove and send out PCM and then get it back and re-install.

Don't think its possible with out programming the pcm. You need that chipped FOB/key.
The quickest way to get the car running is getting a new dealer programmed key
You might if your lucky, find a locksmith that could help program a nw chipped key.

Look down between the seat, that where I've found mine a few times.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 26 Apr 2018 at 02:51 am.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: lost keys and need to bypass or completely remove security on 04 pt cruiser

OK, keys are undefinable! Like in the bottom of the lake. lol
Old 26 Apr 2018, 09:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

from an older post on the subject....

a PT system is kinda like this:
Quote:
The tag consists of a coil of wire, connected to a microchip. When the tag is brought into close proximity to a reader, energy is coupled inductively from the reader to the microchip within the key.

The energy from the reader has dual use; firstly, it provides power to run the chip, and secondly, it provides a communication medium for data to be transmitted. Once powered up, the tag modulates the bit pattern that is programmed into the tag using a signal that the reader can detect. The reader then reads this bit pattern, and passes it onto the skim controller. If the bit pattern matches one that is authorized, the computer will be unlocked. If the bit pattern does not match an authorized one, then the computer won't unlock.

In the RFID system I was playing with, the bit pattern looked like this;

11111111100101110000000000000011111000101111101111 01001111010000

without the right password, your computer will remain locked. no need to mess with wiring.
to put it another way, it's similar to trying to bypass a windows password by moving wiring inside the computer. not gonna happen.

Last edited by rob302; 26 Apr 2018 at 10:07 am.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:18 am
Cool Cruiser

No you cant just remove the transmitter and the SKIM, the PCM also has a copy of the code that gets saved in permanent memory when it's first turned on with that system installed, If you got a NEW pcm, that was never powered on, you could start it without a security system and it would work fine.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 26 Apr 2018, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmartin View Post
OK, keys are undefinable! Like in the bottom of the lake. lol
Here some "feasible" options if you have no sentry key at all.

1. Have a locksmith make you a new key. He will have to get a SKIM code for the dealership, then it's no big deal.

2. Have a dealership make you one.

3. Find a salvage PCM from a 2004 PT base model that didn't come with SKIM. You will need to unplug your SKIM module on the steering column BEFORE installing it. Otherwise, the PCM will automatically detect the SKIM and enable it. Use another key and cylinder from any similar PT. You will likely want the door and trunk locks as well.

4. Find a salvage PCM, SKIM and sentry key all from the same car. Install those in your PT and drive as normal. You will likely want the door and trunk locks as well. Forum member, Myckee, may have a set like this he can sell you.

5. Find a tuning service that can disable SKIM in the PCM. These are rare but there are some and it's fairly expensive and inconvenient when you figure in shipping and waiting for it to be done.

For me, I'd likely call both a local Dealership and some local locksmiths. I'd then chose the one with the best price. If this wasn't an option, I'd PM Myckee to see if he could help me out. Myckee is an expert on this stuff and often keeps sets of what you need for just this purpose.
JoeX and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Apr 2018 at 09:35 am.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 04:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just about any of the option Handy outlined above are going to cost a minimum of $100, unled you can go to the junkyard yourself and find a matching set of ecu, key and skim.

Since that is the case, I would simply just go to the dealer and have a replacement key cut. That way it will save you the time and trouble of having to ship out your ecu for skim removal or buying a replacement set of computer, key and skim on ebay.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can get keyfobs on ebay for $15

You can also get the key cut code and PIN from your local Chrysler dealer for free if you bring in the DVM registration and a photo ID. A locksmith can the cut and program the keys. Mine did it for $75 for 4 keys cuts and 3 keys programmed.

Since you are losing money every day you wait, bite the bullet, get the PIN and keycode from your local dealer and look for a local locksmith to get, cut and program one key for you. Then go out to ebay to buy some more keys and get them cut and programmed at a decent price.

If you cannot afford to get a key cut and programmed, can you afford not to work?
Old 28 Apr 2018, 01:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Rather ironic that he lost the key and now he can't push the panic button!
Old 29 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
You can get keyfobs on ebay for $15

You can also get the key cut code and PIN from your local Chrysler dealer for free if you bring in the DVM registration and a photo ID. A locksmith can the cut and program the keys. Mine did it for $75 for 4 keys cuts and 3 keys programmed.

Since you are losing money every day you wait, bite the bullet, get the PIN and keycode from your local dealer and look for a local locksmith to get, cut and program one key for you. Then go out to ebay to buy some more keys and get them cut and programmed at a decent price.

If you cannot afford to get a key cut and programmed, can you afford not to work?
I did some research on eBay and Amazon on selling these keys and two concerns came up. One is that when some customers try programming the keys and then returns them the next customer to get these keys can't get them to program due to the keys already been programmed to a different vehicle. The second concern is that the quality of the plastic on these keys may not be the same as the ones from the dealer.

Does anyone know if there is a vendor that makes sure the keys have not been programmed before sending them off to the customers?