PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Non Turbo Start Issues

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Non Turbo Start Issues - Solved

Back in 2016, we parked our car for a few months. When going back to start it it wouldn't start. Ultimately, I changed the battery, spark plugs, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt and oil. I also checked the injectors and compression. This did not work so I put it for sale for parts. When someone came to pick it up he asked me to try to start it, and it started right up (so the problem went diagnosed). We drove it for another 15,000 km and yesterday, same failure. (original thread 2006 Non Turbo Won't Start)

I had the car towed to my garage and I pulled error codes (the engine light has been on for years) and got
p0456 - evap
p0440 - evap
p0506 - idle speed low - the car has always had trouble starting in -30C and you'd have to gas it slightly (even when plugged in) so this might be an old code from the long winter
and I think p0540 (they went quick and I missed this one).

The codes won't show anymore. I tried to start the car this morning and it started up, I re-positioned the car in the garage, turned it off, and then it wouldn't start again.

Any ideas on what would cause an intermittent issue (that apparently disappeared for over a year)? Would a leak in the EVAP system (not a gas cap) cause such an issue?

I'm not really sure what to check/replace at this point and now the car is used with kids in the back so getting stuck somewhere is a more serious issue than 2 years ago.

Last edited by TheAmbit; 16 Aug 2018 at 06:43 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Non Turbo Start Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmbit View Post
Back in 2016, we parked our car for a few months. When going back to start it it wouldn't start. Ultimately, I changed the battery, spark plugs, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt and oil. I also checked the injectors and compression. This did not work so I put it for sale for parts. When someone came to pick it up he asked me to try to start it, and it started right up (so the problem went diagnosed). We drove it for another 15,000 km and yesterday, same failure. (original thread 2006 Non Turbo Won't Start)

I had the car towed to my garage and I pulled error codes (the engine light has been on for years) and got
p0456 - evap
p0440 - evap
p0506 - idle speed low - the car has always had trouble starting in -30C and you'd have to gas it slightly (even when plugged in) so this might be an old code from the long winter
and I think p0540 (they went quick and I missed this one).

The codes won't show anymore. I tried to start the car this morning and it started up, I re-positioned the car in the garage, turned it off, and then it wouldn't start again.

Any ideas on what would cause an intermittent issue (that apparently disappeared for over a year)? Would a leak in the EVAP system (not a gas cap) cause such an issue?

I'm not really sure what to check/replace at this point and now the car is used with kids in the back so getting stuck somewhere is a more serious issue than 2 years ago.
Does it still crank when it won't start?
Old 26 Apr 2018, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, it cranks.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest resetting the codes with an OBDII Scan tool and try starting it again. See what codes get triggered.

The OBDII Scan Tool is the only way to reset the codes. If you dont have one Harbor Freight has it for sale for reasonable prices.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest resetting the codes with an OBDII Scan tool and try starting it again. See what codes get triggered.

The OBDII Scan Tool is the only way to reset the codes. If you dont have one Harbor Freight has it for sale for reasonable prices.
I did that, and now no codes trigger (mentioned in OP), just like 2 years ago.

Edit, wife just got home so I had her turn the ignition on while I listened for the fuel pump to prime. Nothing. So I guess no fuel is making it. Guess I'll lower the tank.

Last edited by TheAmbit; 27 Apr 2018 at 12:02 am.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 01:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On 2006 PT Cruisers that has the TIPM they are not equipped with a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump control is done through the TIPM. The TIPM receives an input signal from the PCM. Once the TIPM receives the signal, it will output a 12 volt supply to the fuel pump module turning the pump on.

Confirm that your Pt Cruiser has this TIPM in the image below behind the battery.

2006 IntegratedPowerModule.jpg

I helped another member in the attached thread below with the TIPM causing the fuel pump not to run. Make sure you have 12 volts going to the fuel pump before dropping the fuel tank.

Fuel pump relay

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Apr 2018 at 01:46 am.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 03:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Ambit; when the ignition key is turned to 'run', the fuel pump will hum for about 2 seconds and then shut off. This is normal.

Also, check the ASD relay prongs for corrosion. It's the outer one above the brake booster. ----- And fuses #32 and #26 located in the TIPM.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

ptcruisersteve - Yeah it has a TIPM - I'll check out your other thread, thanks!

pt06 - There's no hum on the car to prime the pump anymore (I've checked for it before to diagnose things so I know what to listen for). So something is amiss.

edit: checked, the fuses/ASD aren't blow/corroded. Also, the fuel gauge still works (so at least some of the wiring to the pump must be working).

I can't find a wiring diagram but can I check power to the pump from beneath the TIPM?

Last edited by TheAmbit; 27 Apr 2018 at 10:11 am.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Another member had checked for voltage going to the fuel pump. On his 2006 Pt Cruiser he had Dark Blue / Orange that remain those colors from the TIPM through connector C110 through C304 (at the front right corner of fuel tank). He was able to establish 12V at C304 between CAV 1 (black) and Cav 4 (which are Dark Blue / Orange vs Green / White as noted in manual).

You will need to verify the color of the wires as there is a conflict between what the color wires are on the Pt Cruiser versus the factory shop manual.
pt06 likes this.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I took C304 apart historically to diagnose the fuel level gauge not working, so I have 'baseline' resistance levels from when the car ran and I tested the connectivity of that harness.

pins from manual
1 - Z04 16 BK - Pump relay ground
2 - Z904 20BK/LG - Fuel level ground
3 - N4 20DB - Fuel level sensor
4 - N1 16 DG/WT Pump
5 - K106 20WT/DG (NVLD) - leak detection
6 - K107 20OR/YL (NVLD) - leak detection

I used to get
~8.5 ohm between 1 and 5 (tank side)
~8.5 between 4 and 5 and
either no resistance or 880 ohms between 2 and 3 (depending on whether fuel level gauge was functioning)

Now i'm getting:
~8.5 ohm between 1 and 5
~1800 between 1 and 4
~1800 between 4 and 5
and ~650 between 2 and 3 (assuming I have less gas than last time).

Not sure what the above means or should be expected. To check voltage to 304 I will need to wait for a helper.

Last edited by TheAmbit; 27 Apr 2018 at 03:45 pm.