PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mysterious leak

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2018, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mysterious leak

Hi everyone, I'm making this post only a month after spending over $1000 at the mechanic. Today, my neighbor told me my car was leaking, so I looked, and everything on the passenger side is wet. There is red/pink fluid all where the serpentine belt splash shield and part of the oil pan. The trans fluid is still perfectly full and the car seems fine. I was thinking trans fluid, but the transmission is on the driver's side. Any ideas?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 06:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Mysterious leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dg123 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm making this post only a month after spending over $1000 at the mechanic. Today, my neighbor told me my car was leaking, so I looked, and everything on the passenger side is wet. There is red/pink fluid all where the serpentine belt splash shield and part of the oil pan. The trans fluid is still perfectly full and the car seems fine. I was thinking trans fluid, but the transmission is on the driver's side. Any ideas?
Coolant...you need to take it back to the shop that did the work.
What did you have fixed for a $1000..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Apr 2018, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The work done was : radiator, chemical cooling system flush, rear brake cylinders, radiator hoses. I did see on the receipt that he used red coolant. I'll inspect and see what I can find
Old 30 Apr 2018, 07:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the fluid is on the serpentine belt, not the timing belt area, I would think maybe power steering leaking but just not enough to start making a racket yet. Check your power steering fluid level, it uses ATF+4 transmission fluid.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked, but I really can't see anything with the cramped engine bay. The coolant is significantly less pigmented than what ever is leaking. I also checked power steering, but the leak is a little lighter and doesn't smell like power steering fluid. I don't know what to do now?
Old 30 Apr 2018, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It might just be residue left over from the work.

I would pressure wash the entire engine area and then wait for it to come back, then you also might get a better idea of where it's actually coming from.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 30 Apr 2018, 08:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the lower radiator hose..coolant can leak into the lower the radiator support & run into the splash shield.
I would take it back & have the shop do a coolant pressure test....JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll make sure to check the hose later. I'm sure it's not left over from the work, because the old coolant was brown orange and milky from all the rust, and the new leak is continuous.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

If it is not a loose hose clamp another possible area to look is the thermostat housing. It my be a problem with the housing gasket or the housing itself may be cracked. Check the hose to the reservoir as well
Old 11 Jul 2018, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Mysterious leak

Hello everyone, it's been a while and the leak still persists. The car still drives as it usually does and here's the thing, none of the fluids have lowered! I have collected some of the leak into a cup and it is red. The color matches power steering fluid the most, but unlike power steering fluid, it has no smell. The fluid leak drops near where the AC compressor is. I wasn't even able to see the leak from under the car, because the splash shield was blocking. I don't know what to do anymore